Problems cloning my disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by beaglesrule33, Jun 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaglesrule33

beaglesrule33 Registered Member

My C: drive (XP Pro, SP2) has some corruption and CHKDSK hangs during the repair. Microsoft's solution is to do a slick reboot. I'd prefer to try and do some repair work with other tools, but I want to clone the drive first as insurance. I installed ATI 9.0 (trial version) and when I tried to use it to clone the drive it told me that my source drive had errors and it would not continue. Is there any way I can use this product to clone my drive (errors and all)?

2. mark3

mark3 Registered Member

You could try a backup instead. Create a folder on your disk and then create the image into that folder. Then run a restore of image onto the second disk and see if that works. If it does then you have cloned the original.

Edit: Use the Rescue CD for the the whole process ie. creating and restoring.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello beaglesrule33,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm afraid that you need to check each partition of your hard drive at first in order to clone your hard drive by means of Acronis True Image.

As mark3 said above, you can try to create the image of your bad hard drive and try to restore it to another one.

Please remember that in order to clone or migrate your Windows system to a different hardware, you should first prepare Windows using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (Sysprep)http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#30

Please note that we recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

As for the bootable rescue media, please be aware that the trial version has the following limitations:

- Windows: all functions available, 15-days trial period;
    - Bootable media: Recovery feature available only.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.