Problems burning DVD+RW in XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've got some Verbatim DVD+RWs that work perfectly in Vista but not in XP. I can view files or folders that are already on a disc, but even if it's not full, Properties shows it all blue as if it's full and I can't write anything to them. I get this error message, "Windows does not support this CD-RW format. To use this disc, choose 'Erase this CD-RW' which will format the disc so that Windows can use it." When I try erasing it, the wizard says it encountered a problem and couldn't finish. I seem to recall reading something about XP having this problem and there was a patch for it, but when I went to download it I kept running into problems. Either it was no longer available or the download site was a bogus ad trap, etc. So does anyone know if this is a known issue with XP or if there really is a patch for it?

The guy I bought the drive from said it supports DVD writing. There's nothing on the drive itself, but in the Device Manager it's called "TSST corp CDDVDW SH-S222A." He said the "W" means it supports writing. He also said a DVD burning program like Nero would probably work. I could try some programs (which may or may not work) but I was hoping first to hear from someone who's had the same kind of issues with XP and actually found a solution. Thanks a lot. :)

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Well, I messed around and figured out I can use two programs I already have, Sonic RecordNow for XP and Toshiba Disc Creator on Vista. Doing it this way, each computer can read and write discs burned on either computer. All I can say is thank goodness for USB flash drives. :D

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I've had good experiences using CDBurnerXP on both XP and 7. Perhaps it will burn your DVDs in a way that both of your systems will recognize them. It's free, so it can't hurt to try. I would advise clicking "More download options" and select the installers without OpenCandy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.