Problems after latest windows updates

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by aieie, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aieie

aieie Registered Member

A last hour doubt.......

on this machine I had to reinstall webroot because it had those "monitoring" problems.

The other machines that experienced BSOD on reboot but started with webroot apparently normal.......they good this way right?
    No need to do anything else, isn't it?

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

@aieie:
    The problem with everything set to monitoring would be caused by the Webroot agent being unable to keep its settings properly (corrupted configuration information). So it goes into a mode that it recognizes something is wrong and watches everything like a hawk. Chances are the BSOD caused the corrupted data. Therefore, the other machines will be fine since they have no corrupted data.

In general:
    XP updates update the win32k.sys for the first time in a decade. WSA, seeing a new critical driver, monitors it closely. Unfortunately, the win32k.sys is not written completely correctly (as a lot of software these days isn't) and doesn't have traps for some situations that it figures "could never happen", and isn't even guaranteed to happen every boot either. This causes the BSOD.

Cloud updates are made to stop monitoring the new win32k.sys, so when it is in the process of installing and initializing for the first time, it's set as known good by the cloud. Thus no BSOD.

Caveat: If this XP update set is installed when the computer is offline (very highly unlikely, but it could technically happen), it would not get a Good determination from the cloud and would BSOD the one time.

3. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

Update from Support today:

We have been working closely with Joe today on this XP BSoD issue and a new WSA build will be going out tonight to prevent it going forward. Thank you very much for gathering and sending us all the data from your systems and helping us find a solution so quickly.

Best regards,

The Webroot Threat Research and Escalation Team

4. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am running XP, and I have had no an occurrence of the BSOD with v8.02.105.

Possibly because I don't bother installing the latest windows updates. In fact I am many updates behind. ;)

5. JConLine

JConLine Registered Member

I'm running a dual-boot system, Windows 7 Pro and Kubuntu. I had a BSOD after Firefox updated to ver 18.0. I had a couple more with ver 18.01 and with ver. 18.02 I haven't had any more BSOd's.

I don't know if this can be the cause of your BSOD's but I haven't had a BSOD in a couple of years and then suddenly I had a run of about 5.

I'm also running Webroot.

Jim

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We've fixed the incompatibility (which was occurring specifically on Windows XP) and have released build 8.0.2.109 with the change in place. If you're experiencing any issues still, a reboot should resolve them directly.

Please let me know your results!

7. PC_Fiddler

PC_Fiddler Registered Member

No problems on my XP laptop with Windows update after updating WSA - Thanks :D

8. ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver Registered Member

No problem on 2 Win. XP's. Working good. :D :thumb:

9. Der Alte

Der Alte Registered Member

The same goes for me, having no problems with v109 and windows update on my to xp machines - very nice job wakeing up to this morning :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.