Problemo

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by JayWalker, Oct 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayWalker

JayWalker Registered Member

o_O Originally, I had a 120gb IBM hard drive portioned into 3 NTFS partitions C:\ E:\ & F:\. I used Acronis’ Partition Expert to create the partitions. The other day I tried to repair winxp and that’s when the problems began.

Before I continue, The C:\ was originally 65gb with 25gb free. I had to repartition this drive and make it Primary - Active, thus giving me a new C:\ of 20gb and a new partition H:\ of 45gb (Old system files).

Now the original C:\ (Now H:\) formatted NTFS contains all my installed programs including Windows XP.

Windows would neither repair nor start, so I installed WinXP on the new partition (new C:\ of 20gb) and now the Local Disks E: F: & H: CANNOT be accessed. When I click on these I get; “drive:\ is not accessible. Access is denied”.

Effectively, I have TWO Primary Partitions on the same disk. Is this a problem?

I also have separate 20gb hard drive partitioned into 2 X 10gb, installed and formatted in FAT32, but there are no problems accessing these disks

Using Disk Management of the Microsoft Management Console shows the Status of all disks to be Healthy and gives me the capacity and free space figures. But if I right click --> Properties on either E: F: or H: I get:
    Type: Local Disk
    File System: RAW
    Used Space: 0 bytes
    Free Space: 0 bytes
    Capacity: 0 bytes

Does anybody know what’s happened here – I am stumped, and there’s a lot of files on them drives that I need.

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

2. John Farrar

John Farrar Guest

Have you checked to see if the partitions have been hidden for some reason? If so, check Unhide for each.
    HTH and good luck
    John

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

4. JayWalker

JayWalker Registered Member

Re: Problemo - Now resolved!

Thanks for those that responded. I have now resolved the problem. It had me worried for a while. I tought I would have to kill the whole disk and start again. But due to sheer tenacity I figured it out. Security and permissions was the issue.

Here is a link to MSKB kbid=810881 that explains it all.

Thanks again

JWalker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.