Problematic Files

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by dallen, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I recently downloaded a rather large folder using bit torrent. This folder contained other folders each itself containing various .mp3, .pdf, and .txt files. Being my usual suspicious self, I thoroughly scanned everything. BitDefender 10 turned up nothing, however, SpySweeper identified the following:

1 Threat – potentially rootkit-masked files
    6 Traces – two .mp3, two .pdf, and two .txt files were listed

The interesting thing is that neither Blacklight, nor Rootkit Revealer flagged anything on my system. Also, I scanned my entire system for ADS and turned up nothing. When I try to open one of the suspect .txt files, it tells me that access is denied. I cannot look at the properties of the file because for some reason that option is not available when I right-click on those particular files. Also, I wanted to contain the suspect files within a compressed file, so I tried to zip the folders that contain those files using WinRAR and that seemed to work fine. That was until I unzipped the folder. Everything was there except the suspicious file.

I’m not too worried because I do all of this type of stuff on my laptop and there is nothing on my laptop that is confidential or worth stealing. At this point I just want to know what is going on. Any suggestions?

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Problematic files, problematic questions, problematic answers:

without these suspicious files it would be just guessing what it could be;)

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sounds very strange. By just following the symptoms you described, regardless of the possible malware threat, I would still shift-det that folder. I don't like files that won't open when I command them.
    Mrk

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Mrk,
    I agree with your categorization of strange. Also, I don't like it myself. Please tell me what you mean by "shift-det" that folder.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    It's a typo - shift-del I meant. Trash it. Redownload it. Try an alternative source.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.