Problem with VPN

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by AlexCross, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I find it amazing that people believe the privacy policy of some VPN providers and they tend not to believe it for others :) It is impossible to know what a VPN provider really does when it comes to logging, and even worse, what it does when it comes to sharing data to the government. The privacy policy is just a string of words, nothing more.

A side note here: I assume that your adversary here is at least your country government/agencies, because otherwise there is no reason to care for things like for how long your data is logged. If you want to protect yourself from a nosy neighbour with a sniffer, or from a nosy provider, or if you want to access a service that it is not available in your country, again, there is no reason that you care too much about VPN details.

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Everyone here who really cares, their adversary is wishing to have real privacy and no information about you stored in some company's servers.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I share that view, and I'd really love so see a positive change regarding privacy, but for the moment I'm really pessimistic about it...

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I agree. What matters to me are "anonymous" payment options, reliability, speed and exit selection. And I exclude ones that have pwned customers.

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Hmmm never heard of ChaVPN. Looks like they are in Coasta Rica.

I would still be using Cryptohippie if I could afford it. I used them for a long time. I know they say they have a cap but they never limited me and I did lots of file sharing for a while. I posted links every day. But they were fast and rarely disconnected. and when there was an interruption, the icon turned yellow and the connection was blocked. With airVPN, if the connection is interrupted, it just disconnects and lets everything pass right on through. They accept cash too.

ChaVPN looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

6. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Registered Member

I've tried quite a few different providers, each time I would do a months worth, to really get a feel for the service. In the end, I went with CyberGhost, best in my opinion where it counts:

1. CyberGhost: Overall, best in speed (8Mbps average), no logging, great client (easy to use for your average person) good/great security, very good pricing points, only service to allow a decent connection and no traffic limits to free users, friendly support staff, great growth rate, supports Android via openvpn, a plus, no real negatives. The company I went with for my personal/business use VPN.

2. AirVPN: amazing configuration, allowing you many possibilities. Extremely strong, standard encryption scheme on all servers. great price points, no logging, friendly support, remote forwarding, great server details page. Negatives. Speed can be good, to very slow at times, For the 30 day's I tested them, I could never get really decent speed, even on servers with limited amount of users. Highest I could ever get was about 3Mbps down and up. Not that great, but decent for average surfing, but not good enough for what I do each day. In the end, that was the only negative I could find with them.

3. IVPN: strong security, fast connection and decent server park. Good support, nice client. A very good VPN service, but, high in price, compared to others, and in my testing, for 30 days, while in Dallas, I loved the service, they had a server setup in Dallas, so my connections were always fast, even with the high security setup they had, but when in Chicago or overseas, speeds were not that great. Price may be much for some, but they are a very good provider.

4. proxpn: average speed, very very strong security setup. Decent client for the average person to use. Horrible support, took 4 days to answer a simple question via email, and that was after the system del the ticket 3 different times on it's own. Not to bad on price, but they do log certain information, read their privacy post. for the 30 days I used them, average at best

4. HideMyASS Pro: they log, no matter what they say, they log, I've tested this as have others. decent price, good to average speed, TONS of servers all over the world, a plus in that department. Good client. Those of us serious about security/privacy, know HMA is not for them, but for many, it's the top VPN provider, but I rank them fourth. Support is slow with them as well.

5. Torguard: Stay away. First, they have semi fast servers, but don't have them configured correctly. with my 30 days, I found each server not to be configured as they described with 256-bit AES, but the standard 128-bit. When asked, they stated it was a mistake, when asked why each server was that way, they said the admin must have made a mistake on the configuration. Really? All of them? Not a good admin then. They also filter websites on all their US servers. I found this out by trying to hit different sites to test their anonymity and speed. Some torrent sites, some gambling sites, etc. They filter what they deem dangerous, was the response. You can only connect to these sites from NON-US servers only. They don't state that on their site anywhere. We aren't talking blocking protocols or the like, you simply can't load certain sites. That's a no no to me..

I'd also like to say Mullvad VPN was great, as well, but limited in server selection, for me, maybe for others it's good. I'd rank their service along with AirVPN. In the end, CyberGhost beat them all where it counted the most.

7. methlon

methlon Registered Member

been trying to reach cyberghost for 5 days for login details sent them my receipt and many emails-- nothing- i had heard there tech support was slow but i am disapointed

ds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.