Problem with Sunbelt Personal Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by prozabor, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prozabor

prozabor Registered Member

I have reinstall Windows XP. I decided to install Sunbelt Personal Firewall. But I have empty log now. Computer was online few hours. Is it normal or my SPF is not protecting me? All security settings are good. Maybe I am too worried:)

2. timcan

timcan Registered Member

Hi, in the app rules window I believe you have to enable logging to each application that want logged.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You should be seeing something in the logs, especially after a few hours. Silly question perhaps, but do you have a router? If so, that would render the logs pretty much empty as far as inbound goes....

4. prozabor

I checked "Enable advanced logging (to unopened ports)" and I have only blocked traffic on unopen ports. Maybe because I closed few system services (ports).

I think now it is good.

Take a look at sreenshoot.

Attached Files:

• spf.JPG
      spf.JPG
      File size:
      102.5 KB
      Views:
  5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, you are quite right, I had forgotten about the option for logging to unopened ports. That will do it. Now you will see any inbound hitting you in the logs. :)

6. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Excellent forums, newbie poster here, long-time reader.

I am on Kerio 4.3 with 4.5 free being upgraded on next boot.
    (Also considering the $9.95 purchase special which I just discovered !)

And I have tried to activate all logging.

Yet on Overview/Statistics ..
    The numbers are all 0, even though I have never done a reset.

And where is
    "Enable advanced logging (to unopened ports)"
    that is mentioned above ? Perhaps the newer version.

Also I recently got an outgoing alert that I wanted to understand, the IP number was 67.15.196.39, Everyone's Internet in Houston. (Which firewalls combine WhoIs with their alerts ? It would be very helpful.) Possibly this site relates to Avast. However I wanted to go back and see what was the process (my concern was that it looked like a randomized name and I didn't write it down and save the name) and the port, if it tells me. I can't find a log for this anywhere.

Oh, is the main Sunbelt-Kerio-dedicated webforum the one at Castlecops ?

I sort of like the program, it has run well for a long time, have a router as well, and agree that usability and sensibility are important features in a firewall. (I have also used Zone Alarm and now have Online Armor on a second puter.)

While researching for this post I stumbled into their Application controls, implemented them and have gotten some very good proper messages (eg Windows Auto Update and Avast update). I find that Kerio and Ghost (AppDefend and RegDefend) and Avast! seem to work fine with one another.

Any help appreciated :) .

Shalom,
    Steven Avery
    Queens, NY

7. prozabor

This is in Network Security---> Advanced.

Do you have blocked traffic to open ports? I have only for unopened.

8. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Prozabor,

Ok, thanks for the advanced logging. (Which is in an unusual spot, not with the other logging.) That is one question answered. I'll keep my eyes on the strange statistics.

I think I need also to know which setting is this "block traffic" "open ports" one, too.

Shalom,
    Steven

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.