Problem with Startup Recovery Manager

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by geoptin, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geoptin

geoptin Registered Member

Hi,
    I have TI v. 826 installed and everything seems to work just fine, until I decided to activate the Startup Recovery Manager (F11 before Windows starts loading).
    It doesn't work, no matter how many times I uninstalled and re-installed TI. I don't use Hybernation, and I remember that about 2 weeks ago it worked.
    Any help?
    Thanks

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello geoptin,

Probably a dumb question but have you by any chance removed your Acronis Secure Zone (doing so will also deactivate the Startup Recovery Manager)? If so, create a new SZ and activate the Startup Recovery Manager (SRM). If not, remove the SZ via the "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" wizard (Note: this will delete any images currently residing there) then recreate a new SZ and opt to activate the SRM. Let us know how you got on.

Regards

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello geoptin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please describe what problem you encountered after you activated Acronis Startup Recovery Manager? Also please let us know where you have created Acronis Secure Zone.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. geoptin

Hi Menorcaman & Ilya,
    Well, I have 1 80 Gb HD where I have my OS-WinXP Pro English- and Program Files, as well as a second 200 Gb HD, where I keep my docs and music files.
    You're right, Menorcaman, I had deleted my Acronis SZ, but I created a new one on the 200 Gig HD, choosing the option to activate the Startup Recovery Manager (F11...). I rebooted my computer, but no message appeared before the Windows startup -Press F11 etc.
    I re-activated the Startup Recovery Manager, rebooted, but no luck.
    Well, Ilya, that's my problem.
    It worked a couple of weeks ago, now it doesn't.
    Any suggestions?
    geoptin

5. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Use the boot CD to activate the Recovery Manager again. The boot CD is sometimes better at this than the Windows version.

6. Acronis Support

Hello geoptin,

What happens when you boot the computer now? Does it just boots into Windows or does it freeze before Windows boots up? If you haven't stored any images in Acronis Secure Zone yet please try to delete it using "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" wizard and recreate it once again activating Acronis Startup Recovery Manager once again.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. geoptin

Hi,
    Strange enough, when I create an Acr.SZ on my first 80 GB HD -that's where I have my XP Pro installed- and reboot, the message "Press F11..." appears before Windows start booting. Of course, I don't want to have my OS and SZ on the SAME HD...
    When I create the SZ on the second 200 GB HD, the system just boots Windows without showing the message. It doesn't freeze or get stuck.
    Funny thing, both my hard disks are S-ATA, but TI recognizes them as Secondary Master.

8. Acronis Support

Hello geoptin,

The behaviour you described is normal. When you activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager you write special code into MBR of the drive where Acronis Secure Zone is placed. If it is placed on the same drive where your operating system you will get the F11 prompt because your BIOS loads the code from MBR of the disk that is set as the first boot device in BIOS. If you activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager on another disk and set this disk as the first boot device in BIOS you will the F11 prompt (however, you want be able to boot into Windows since the other drive doesn't contain the operating system).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. geoptin

Thanks Ilya for you reply. So, there's nothing wrong with TI .826. :D

10. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Creating a Secure Zone on the second internal hard drive and then activating Recovery Manager will normally produce the "Press F11" prompt. This normally alters the MBR on the first hard drive. This is not speculation, I have done this many times. Geoptin has a problem.

11. Acronis Support

Hello geoptin,

I am really sorry for the mistake. Could you please tell whether you tried to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager with the first disk plugged to the computer? If so and you didn't get F11 prompt after that please create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread indicating in the subject that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will try to ind out the reason for the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.