Problem with SpyBot scan, anyone else?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by red_jack, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

Is anyone else now having a problem with running a SpyBot S&D scan? I have run scans in the past with no problems. I can still run the scan with NOD32 ver 2 but now under this latest version of version 3.0.657 it locks up the computer. The only solution is to hard reset the power. It always fails on the same point of the scan, CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL. If I disable NOD32 protection, the SpyBot scan continues. I get the same result with the current and beta builds of SpyBot. Always at the same check. XP SP3 32bit builds.

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Sorry but the latest version of SpyBot, 1.5.2 (tried the beta as well, for laughs) is working fine here with v3.0.657 on XP SP3; no hangs, slowdowns, or any kind of anomalous behavior.

If you go into NOD Advanced setup, select "Real-time file system protection", click the setup button next to ThreatSense engine parameter setup, and select "Objects", is the "Runtime packers" box checked? That was causing a few problems on my machines so I unchecked it and haven't had any issues since. Worth a shot (unless, of course, the box is already unchecked).

3. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Not that it is much use to you, but same here, 3.0.567 and Spybot cause no issues on any of my four systems.

4. red_jack

I found some other postings that are not recent with problems hanging on the same file name and S&D. No real solutions. Don't understand what changed. I didn't have any problems with it before. I updated to 3.0.657 earlier this week, I had not run a S&D scan yet. Got a notice about S&D 1.6 beta out, updated it. Ran a scan, it locked up. Figured it was the Beta. Reinstalled S&D again, locked up. Rolled S&D back to current, still locked up. Rolled back S&D definitions, locks up. Different settings on NOD32 (run time packer etc), still locked up. Disabled NOD, scan runs fine. Rolled back to ver 2 NOD, scan runs fine. Installed ver 3 again, locks up. I may just have to leave it alone. I don't want to push my luck on all the hard resets. Thanks for the help testing it out.

5. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I'm also running the spybot beta & NOD32 657 with not a problem.

6. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Well,

I used Spybot for several years now and what I noticed is that Spybot is becoming more and more thick and... It seems that is not anymore the antispyware reference... You should try a-squared, as a second source or simply as an alternate solution. The free release is benchmarked with a much higher detection rate than Spybot...

I'm currently running both and no problems with NOD 3.0.650 French

Regards

7. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Apparently the malware you have is nasty about trying to shut down scanners (specifically Spybot S&D) and AV engines. My guess is that since the realtime protecting is scanning all the I/O that Spybot is performing, when the malware sees it is being read by Spybot and tries to kill off the process, it throws the Nod kernel for a loop and locks your system. Try rebooting in safe-mode and rerunning the Spybot scans which may be enough to keep that nasty crap from loading in to memory and protecting itself.

8. red_jack

There is no malware on the machine. I've scanned the drive from bootable CD with various products. I found other posts that have had the same problem at the same scan point 'CoolWWWSearch.Feat2DLL' with S&D. Most of those posts are out dated though and not much of anything in common. Most solutions were to update S&D from 1.4 to current, where that failed others said installing S&D in different folder worked... Unloading NOD32 ver 3 from active scanning works. There is a slight pause at the same point but it does not lock up. NOD32 ver 2 loaded, no problem. Hence it seemed like just another problem with ver 3. No one else is reporting the same issue here or S&D forum, so I'm thinking that's NOT the problem. As much as I would like to figure out what the conflict is, it's not worth the risk of losing the data on this particular machine. It's the type of lock up where corrupt data is often the result.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.