Problem with Sandboxie 3.52

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by John Bull, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I am aware that I have mentioned this previously, but no solution was achieved, only that SBxie 3.52 installs and works fine on other computers. Can you please help ?

I have put this problem to the SBxie Forum and received a great reply from one of their experts. Having tried all I was told, the problem still exists, so we both surrendered gracefully.

In desperation I am resorting to Wilders, where so much talent exists and I have always had a generous and mostly successful response.

PROBLEM :-

I have used various versions of SBxie for a long time. Each update has gone in on over-write and clean installs made perfectly with not a hitch. I currently have 3.50, which goes in and out like a Yo-Yo and even over-writes 3.52 with no problems.

3.52 installs OK with all messages successful. It all seems fine, but when I click my SBxie icon on the desktop, Firefox does not open. I think it tries because the tray traffic icon animates, but FF stays closed.

Now, everything on my PC remains constant - nothing changes, therefore it is SBxie that has changed. Something in 3.52 is different to 3.50 or the Settings/Configuration must be either different or need some extra trimming that 3.50 does not. I have no idea what.

Other peoples 3.52 installing and working OK ? No problem and no surprise. Their Settings/Configurations must be different to mine, where although 3.50 is OK, 3.52 is not.

Has anybody a clue on this ? My feeling is that the hiccup is simple and silly, but it is pinning it down that is required.

The critical issue is that my PC is CONSTANT in both cases, it is 3.52 that has changed in some way. SBxie is the variable plus the Settings/Configurations - this is my own suspected area.

Many thanks, I do hope somebody will find the missing piece of this jig-saw puzzle.
    John

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

What is the thread in Sandboxie forum so we don't ask the questions already asked. Can you run other programs in Sandboxie?

3. John Bull

Well Cudni, I tried to ask for help. No matter, my eternal hope for assistance is always Wilders, but it looks like I am on my own again. OK, I`ll try some other source, who knows I may hit lucky.

Cudni, asking questions is one thing, the object of a Forum is to get answers, which were not forthcoming before, THAT is why I appealed for specific help in this case. Unanswered questions by their very nature are legitimately entitled to be asked again and again and again.

Yes, as I fully explained in my post, everything works fine in SBxie version 3.50. The failure to run is 3.52, which again I took great pains in explaining in my more than adequately detailed post.

Thanks for your kind help - forget it, I`ll survive.
    John

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

John Bull, Cudni only asked you to point your thread over Sandboxie's forum, so that we (anyone wanting to help) knows what steps you already tried, so that we don't suggest the same things other people may have already suggested to you.

If you're not willing to answer what was questioned by Cudni, do you seriously expect users (who are willingly trying to help) to know where they can start? Or, would you like them to waste time on help that was already suggested over Sandboxie's own forum? Does it make any sense?

We need to ask, in order to be able to help you out, otherwise we'll all be in a loop.

5. John Bull

My sincere apologies to Cudni and appreciation to you. I misread his post completely - I am so very sorry for causing unnecessary trouble.

Sandboxie Forum :-
    My thread is entitled - Sandboxie error message panel.
    It started out precisely as the title says, but included a discussion of SBxie 3.52 not working. It is not a long thread and "Guest10" is the kind person helping me.

You can find the thread by putting "john bull" in the Forum Search. It is at the top of the list.

Again, my humble apologies.
    John
    PS :-
    I honestly believed that Cudni was referring to the thread in Wilders Sandboxie Forum that I meant when I said I had asked the question before e.g -

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I contend that you need (what would be for you) a radical shift in your thinking, John. You are dead set on this premise that everything on your pc is constant and SBIE has changed. If you don't come off of that premise, you will never be open to a solution. You are, in fact, asking for help, but determining ahead of time what could not possibly be wrong. You are, for all intents and purposes, telling everyone that SBIE is the problem.

Try a different perspective. Several people (in recent threads) have recommended to you that you try eliminating other programs in order to get to the root of the problem. Along those lines, and for the sake of troubleshooting, try adopting a different approach. Try thinking of this (I mean it, just try!)... another program is at fault, okay? We don't know who the culprit is, but it's another program's code that is at fault. And for this scenario, we're gonna say SBIE is fine, whether it's version 3.5 or 3.52, okay?

So you run 3.5 with this unknown flawed code somewhere, but it doesn't react poorly with 3.5. Then you load 3.52 (and it is still a good program, right?), but your "already present" flawed code culprit starts to act up with 3.52.

You quickly jump to the conclusion that 3.52 must be to blame, because it is the only thing you changed. But in our little scenario we have just played out, 3.52 is a good addition, and the pre-existing flawed program already onboard on your pc has taken a disliking to it. That's not 3.52's fault, is it?

So, where does this lead us, and leave us? You still don't know the cause of your grief, right? But if what I am suggesting has a shred of truth to it, AND you have altered your thinking to at least allow for the possibility that some program already on your machine could be at fault, then you have opened yourself up to a whole new realm of troubleshooting... you have dropped the bias, so to speak, and you have gotten yourself ontrack to possibly hunting down the proper solution.

It is very easy for me to see this scenario, John. But it's hard for you, because you are stuck on the fact that the only thing that changed (the way you see it) is SBIE, when the offender might well have been in place and was just coexisting with 3.5 but can't do the same with 3.52. It doesn't mean SBIE is the problem! :isay:

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

John,

Firstly, I don't think the problem is with 3.52 in and of itself because I'm running it on an XP Pro SP3 system with Firefox 3.6.13 with no problems at all. I too upgraded over the top of 3.50 and everything went smoothly as always. It's more likely to be a conflict with one of your other installed programs.

Probably the least invasive way to start investigating this problem is to answer the question that Cudni posed: Can you run other programs in the Sandbox?

Why not start with a simple program such as Notepad that doesn't require Internet access and see if that works. If it does try a different Internet facing application such as Internet Explorer and see if that works. If the problem is specific to Firefox then try disabling all of the add-ons and see if that makes any difference. If it's Internet facing applications in general that won't run in the sandbox it may suggest a firewall conflict.

If that doesn't yield any useful results, the next thing you could try is to temporarily uninstall your other security programs, one at a time, and retest Sandboxie with Firefox each time to see if the conflict is with another of your programs. If you find that there is a conflict, try reinstalling the programs again with Sandboxie already installed and see if that makes any difference. Sometimes these things are sensitive to the installation sequence.

Finally, if you think the benefit of upgrading is outweighed by the hassle of a thorough investigation, or the investigation doesn't yield the positive outcome you are seeking, you could live with 3.50 and skip 3.52 completely if 3.50 is working well for you. Although you would need to upgrade the program eventually, you could afford to skip a release and see if the next version fixes the issue. I couldn't see anything in the 3.52 change list that makes this release a must have.

Oh, and by the way, Page42 is absolutely correct in what he said. The type of reasoning you are using in relation to all other things remaining the same on your system is known as ceteris paribus. Whilst widely used in the study of simple systems, this type of reasoning is known to break down with complex systems such as computer systems, which must be considered as a whole and where every change must be evaluated within the total context.

Good luck in your investigations and I hope that you are able to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Regards

9. John Bull

PAGE - I came up with an innocent request for help and did not expect to be faced with an argument or a lecture from you on my intellectual capacity, which from your dialogue is obviously much greater than yours. I find your entire attitude insulting and incredibly rude.

If you are unable to answer a simple cry for help, then don`t post your personal and misguided patronising views on other peoples ability. I do not need a Psychologist or some self appointed junior genius, just a person conversant with SBxie and computers, who may help solve the problem.

Can you not see the basic logic ? Well I will help - PC is constant for both 3.50 and 3.52. 3.50 works perfect. 3.52 fails. Nothing but 3.52 has changed. Now, where do you suppose the problem lays ?

AND YES ! my computer is a CONSTANT in the context of this matter as I explained in elementary detail. It IS SBxie that is the problem and more likely a silly little thing like Settings/Configuration adjustment that is needed.

I turned to Wilder's because I have and still do regard it as the best Forum on the web, but have no interest in being met with some unnecessary slanging match. if that is the case, then as I stated before, I can survive - forget I ever asked.

John

10. John Bull

Pegr, I thank you dearly for that reply with the exception of the personal remarks and would take up some of the things you suggest, but 3.52 will even not open FF from the desktop icon, so how can I try any programs in the sandbox ?

No problem with 3.50, I can play with any program you like with that version.

John

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

A few weeks ago I had a problem with FF and SB v3.52.
    I couldn't copy and paste while sandboxed. But out of the sandbox everything was fine.
    The problem only surfaced when using FF and SB together.
    So I blamed SB. Of course my system was fine. No recent changes. etc..
    Nobody at the SB forum could help me.
    Nor at FF's forum.
    And not here.

I work hard at keeping an open mind. It makes learning new things possible.
    I eventually started to realize that my problem was not SB nor FF but was my OS.
    Somehow it had become corrupted.
    I chose to do a clean install of my OS onto a new hard drive.
    And when I was done, FF and SB 3.52 were working together properly.
    I value the feedback that I get from the members of this forum and listen to them with an open mind.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

While you may not have changed anything in your "static and constant" system, do not ignore the fact that programs update, thus are not "static and constant". Any of the programs in your sig could have been updated, thus could also be the cause of the issue. As well, v3.52 is an update, and could also be the issue, not "playing well" with something.

If as the thread at SBIE forums seems to elude to, that the SBIE config file is not the issue, then the issue resides most likely in a compatability conflict. The browser, sandboxie or another program or driver is the cause I will bet. Which one, hard to say.

Remember this John, while you view your system as static, it can only be static if you don't change anything. If you update, it is no longer static, and you must therefore include anything which could have updated into the equations.

The fact that v3.50 works indicates early on that it is a sandboxie issue with v3.52. It has an issue with something on your computer. Even if all of your other programs/drivers are truly static and have not changed in the least, you have the issue of a new version of SBIE. If you wish to track the problem down, it makes the most sense in these situation to remove all other factors (other software) that MIGHT interfere. Only then can you determine that indeed v3.52 has an issue with your basic system.

Sul.

13. John Bull

Attn. Hugger and Sully.

Your posts are absolutely incredible, every word is an attempt to help and I will take into account all you say when I try yet again to get 3.52 to work.

I really do appreciate that response which is totally productive and not just another excuse for bashing JB, which appears to be an enjoyable occupation with certain posters.

I am very grateful to you both and only wish to install 3.52 on my system with no problems. As I have said, I am sure that the problem is a silly little thing like compatibility with other programs or the correct Settings/Configurations.

But as you say, my programs update and can then be considered as a variable, but 3.50 is not affected by this variable feature, so why should 3.52 ?

The secret is to go back to basics, read my OP, refrain from attacking the poster and assimilate the problem as described. Then to put forward any solutions you may have.

Again, I thank you both for not joining in the bash JB game that so many others appear to enjoy so much. I don`t mind so long as my reaction to these abusive posters is accepted without any individual discrimination.

If Wilder's come up with an answer to this problem of mine, I will be so grateful and Wilder's usually do not fail providing the argumentative and mischievous posters can be ignored.

John

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Like everyone is saying, we can't help you without knowing the rest of your setup and you help to ascertain the cause by uninstalling other software. That the only thing changed is Sandboxie does not mean that there are no conflicts with other programs. Because of the update to 3.52 sandboxie has changed so there is a possibility these changes conflict with other software on your computer but we don't know which software unless you're willing to uninstall.

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi John,

I don't think that anybody here is trying to bash you. We come here to try and help, not to bash people. It's obvious from your original post that the latest Sandboxie update has broken Sandboxie functionality on your system but whether that is due to Sandboxie itself, or due to some other conflicting factor, is hard to say at this point without further investigation.

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life that software doesn't always work perfectly on every possible configuration of hardware and software. That doesn't necessarily mean that the application has been badly coded though. As I said, 3.52 works perfectly on my system so it's clear that 3.52 is capable of working on some system configurations, but not unfortunately it appears on yours as things stand.

Before you start uninstalling programs, it might be an idea first to follow Cudni's suggestion and see what programs apart from Firefox you can run in the sandbox, if any. That way you would find out whether Sandboxie is completely broken on your system or whether the problem is restricted to certain applications, which might yield some clues for further investigation. You should be able to launch any program in the sandbox by right-clicking on the shortcut used to launch the program and selecting Run Sandboxed from the context menu.

Regards

16. John Bull

Look, this kind of comment is going nowhere. Why should I uninstall any of my programs when 3.50 works perfectly ? The suggestion is preposterous. So you suggest I clean my system out just to let in a program that differs so much from it`s previous version that it conflicts with just about everything else ?

It is like telling the other 99 men in the squad to change step just because one man is out of step.

The onus is on SBxie 3.52 to blend in with the rest of the world, not the other way round.

My OP was written in decent affable terms and simply asked for help. I expected somebody who is fully conversant with SBxie to come along with a logical explanation concerning SBxie not to engage in a vendetta against me and every other program in existence. All I have got so far is personal criticism and no practical suggestions whatsoever except for two posts.

I am sorry I ever raised the problem and am certainly not prepared to continue being placed in the position of whipping boy.

So sadly I am going to unsubscribe from this thread and seek an answer elsewhere.

John

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

John, bull.

18. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

@John Bull

Try this instead:

Go to Sandbox DefaultBox, right-click, Sandbox Settings. Go to Applications>PDF/Printing and see if Adobe Acrobat Reader option is checked/unchecked. Toggle the options and see if that helps in any way.

Alternatively, go to the Configure menu>Software Compatibility and turn the Adobe Acrobat Reader option off. Or just remove the "Template=AdobeAcrobatReader" part in your Sandboxie.ini file.

Btw, I see that you have these in your template:

You may want to see this thread too since the OP had a similar problem with a 1411 error message too (but with Avast Mail Scanner) :
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7795&sid=67f1afe3a4a7f51257e84a27c6e425e5

Software conflicts (with other programs) on the user PC can be and is usually the factor that cause problems and hence, it's good advice by the rest here. :thumb: For e.g. Avast, Comodo, Defensewall, PC Tools Firewall and various other programs have conflicts with Sandboxie that are either resolved or are still existing in current versions. Hence, it's typical for the majority of us around here to analyze which other installed software that may cause the conflict when we try to trouble-shoot as to what's wrong. It's understandable when we tell others what we're used to doing. I hope you can understand that John Bull...members here have nothing more than a good intent to help...

Nevertheless, withstanding what others here might say, I am of the opinion that at times the culprit can unfortunately be the Sandboxie upgrade itself. Take note that I specifically say the 'upgrade' and not Sandboxie. This is probably because of how Tzuk changes certain things in the way it works with other programs (you can observe these in Problem reports and the beta releases section which would then go to the Version Changes). The 'upgrade' that was well-intended (and tested) to fix problems faced by others unexpectedly introduce problems for other users setup. Too bad...but isn't that the typical problem with almost all software?

In those cases, apart from reporting it or trying to fix it on your own by changing your setup, the only other option you have is probably wait for Tzuk to release a newer version (usually a beta, followed by a few more for others having other problems before a final release) to fix that particular problem you have with your setup OR just stick to the older version you have that works just fine.

Or what I'd personally summarize as:

If you can't fix what is broken, then don't fix it - go back to what ain't broken or send it for repair and wait for it to be 'mended' :p

P.S. No offense intended to anyone...be it John Bull or any other members here who've posted so far.

19. philby

philby Registered Member

I agree entirely - better for the one guy who's out of step to leave the squad, if he won't follow any of the advice given to him ;)

philby

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

John, I can put myself in your viewpoint and see why you say that. However, I think perhaps you are missing the point of it all.

If Sandboxie v3.52 does not work, and you wish it to work, then you must do some experimenting. No matter if SBIE v352 is the problem or another program is the problem, if you want to use v352, you must determine why the issue is happening.

It is a common sense approach you attempt to take, asking why do you have to change all 99 other men when only 1 man is messed up. But, in that same analogy, perhaps 1 or 2 of the 99 get it right to your eyes, but the 100th man is following them and getting messed up because of them. In that case, you have to first discover which of the 99 it is that influences the 100th, and you must decide between the two who has more worth to keep.

I am not saying you have to uninstall everything, but I am saying if you really want v352 to work, you cannot just wish it to be, you must find out where the conflict is. You can often disable certain aspects of programs or exit them to test, you don't always have to uninstall, although you might have to if you really want to solve this.

Sul.

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

John, this is just my opinion. So, please, don't take it as anything else.

Allow me to start with something Sully mentioned. Even if your other programs are static and constant, Sandboxie 3.52 is not. How so? It has been redesigned to include other features, solve third-party conflicts, etc. What does this mean? It has newer code, which weren't part of version 3.50, obviously. Makes any sense to you?

If it does make sense to you, then you need to have an open mind for this fact: If it's not a problem with Sandboxie's configuration, then there's a conflict with one of your other applications.

One other user already stated not having problems with version 3.52 and Firefox. At least, this should make you be open to the fact there's a problem between Sandboxie 3.52 and some other application in your system. This problem may have no existed with version 3.50, but the only reason is that Sandboxie's code differs from version 3.50 to 3.52.

Unless you're willing to open your mind to this possibility, I'm afraid no one's going to be able to provide any useful help, and simply because you seem not to be willing to narrow down the problem.

One thing, I'm sure you'll agree: There's a problem with version 3.52. Now, either the problem is just with Sandboxie 3.52, but unlikely, or, in fact, there's a conflict with a third-party application, which is totally possible.

So, in my honest opinion, if you'd like to keep Sandboxie 3.52, you'll have to narrow down the problem to the culprit, be it Sandboxie or a third-party application.

I don't think anyone so far as been rude to you, but merely asked you to open your mind to the mere possibility of the problem being another application. Then, you just have to decide which one you'd like to keep. But, until then...

Just think about it. :)

22. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

John using 3.52, if you right click on Internet Explorer and select 'run sandboxed' and click ok on the sbie box that pops up, does IE open up for you?

23. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

A very simple idea but you could give it a try:
    Maybe that there is only something wrong with this desktop shortcut?

Try to go to there and to double-click:
    "C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\QuickLaunch"

Perhaps now Firefox will open?

24. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey John, I agree with just about everything that has been suggested for
    you to try. As newer Versions of Sandboxie give us extra protection, new
    conflicts are created with other security software. Probably that's whats
    happening to you. I, personally, feel that Sandboxie protects me better
    now than before because I am not using any other security software that
    can conflict with it. I used Defense Wall for a long time along SBIE and
    even though I never noticed any problems, now I know better and should
    had never used them together because even if unnoticeable I know now
    that there was a conflict.
    When I look at your signature and see Spyshelter, my head shakes from
    one side to the other because I know that anything that its kind of a
    HIPS might conflict with Sandboxie. I don't know if Spyshelter is your
    problem or not but if I was you I would uninstall it and see. Even anti
    virus like Avast and Avira have had in the past conflicts with SBIE, so it
    could be any of your security programs.
    John, Sandboxie will protect you better on its own than combined with
    all of the programs that your signature shows, so you got nothing to
    lose if you uninstall them for testing purposes. Someone in this thread
    suggested you try the next Beta, in my opinion that is a great suggestion
    because Sandboxies betas always solve problems introduced by previous
    versions. If you try them, you might get to love them like I do.

Bo

25. culla

culla Registered Member

try right click open sandboxed i had the same prob with the desktop shortcut right click worked for me but now i run browser forced sandboxed much better i reckon :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.