Problem with mounting folders image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sarutaro, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarutaro

sarutaro Registered Member

As I posted under the thread of "A simple math question ", I was not able to back up the whole D-HDD (or D-partition) onto H-partition (in C-HDD) because of the insufficient space in H-partition. So I decided to back up selected folders in D-HDD (ca. 60 GB) onto the H-partition. I made it and validated the "d_drive.tib.

Yesterday, I tried to mount the d-drive.tib image. Then, it prompted the following message on the screen:

"Specifid archive cannot be mounted since it contains no partition."

I don't get it. Could someone explain to me what this means? I am wondering whether mounting image is only for the backup tib for the whole partition not for that created for files/folders.

Note: I have no problem with mounting image of the backup tib of c-main partition.

Thaks. Sarutaro

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

sarutaro,

I'm afraid only disk/partition images can be mounted, files/folders backups can't.

3. max0071

max0071 Registered Member

IMHO.....As bVolk has described............A good reason to do a full backup (image), it gives you the flexibility of restoring everything or selectively restoring files and folders.

4. sarutaro

I agree. So I am now backing up the whole D-drive.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Sarutaro

5. sarutaro

I now have the second thought. If this is the case with v. 9, what is the difference between v.8 and v9? With v.8, I am able to mount and to copy files. Sarutaro

6. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

Version 8 didn't have imaging of files and folders.
    So version 8 could only mount .tib images of partitions.
    Version 9 introduced imaging (and restore) of files and folders but it doesn't provide ability to mount a file/folder .tib image.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Yes, it's a bigger backup file but you can mount and copy files from it, soit can be easier inthe long run.

8. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Nope. With those backups, you do a restore and select which files to restore. With a full image, you need to mount and copy files.

9. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

What exactly have I said that is wrong?

By 'those backups' I assume you mean creating a file/folder .tib (which only became possible in version 9) which then allows you to restore files and folders (as I said).

By a 'full image' I assume you mean a .tib file which contains one or more partition images.
    Such a partition image can be mounted and files/folders copied as required. I don't know which version introduced this feature but it has certainly been available since version 8 (as I said).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.