Problem with install

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dueceswild, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

The error gives code error 0x80070002?

2. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

No, I get that code when I try to install Look 'n' Stop as an installer package. The error I get from trying to add it manually is "Could not add the requested component. The error is: The system could not find the file specified".

I know it's confusing. One error code from trying to install L'n'S, the other from trying to add manually the way Frederic is suggesting.

3. Phant0m

Thanks.

Modifying DevicePath value data from %SystemRoot%\inf; to C:\Windows\inf; and re-booting the computer, then following Frederic’s manual install procedures ... this should have worked.

4. Phant0m

Question.., is this error reproduced if you try manually installing the look 'n' stop driver on the other Network adapter ... instead of the wireless adapter?

5. dueceswild

Where is the other network adapter? The wireless one is all I have. In my device manager, I have a 1394 adapter with a yellow exclamation point. Is this the problem you think?

6. Phant0m

I want you to uninstall that ‘1394 adapter’ and the Wireless adapter by doing the below steps.

1) Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    2) Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    3) To see a list of installed network adapters, expand Network adapter(s). Click to locate the network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
    4) Repeat step 3 to uninstall the next adapter
    5) Restart the computer, and then let the system automatically detect and install the network adapter drivers.

7. dueceswild

Won't uninstall. Says the device may be necessary to boot the computer.

8. Phant0m

When visiting 'Network Sharing Center' and clicking 'Change adapter settings' hyperlink on the top-left side of the screen, Network Connections screen appears with Wireless adapter and possibly another one for ethernet adapter to use Internet via wired means.

9. Phant0m

Skip to uninstalling the wireless adapter then.

10. dueceswild

Well, there appears to be a problem with the ethernet adapter too. This isn't looking good.

11. Phant0m

... I think this is the magic fix!

1) Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
    2) Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network

3) Right-click this subkey, click Export, and then save the selected branch in a file.
    4) Click the Network subkey again, and then delete the Config entry. Do not delete the Network subkey. The Config entry will be reconstructed when you restart the computer.
    5) Restart the computer. You may have to manually turn off the computer.

12. dueceswild

Phant0m,

Ok. I did that, booted back up. Checked config for that key- has an entry. Now what?

As a note; This is the ONLY change remaining on the system. After all we'd done and I had given up hope, I imaged my system. So, if I need to change the %SystemRoot%\Inf or anything else again, please let me know. And, I don't know whether to try a regular or manual install. I'll wait on some guidance.

Even if this doesn't work, I really appreciate the time from you (Phant0m) and Frederic. First chance I get to buy this, and it works, I will if for no other reason than as a thanks.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  13. Phant0m

14. dueceswild

Phant0m,

I THINK IT WORKED! Just to be sure though, here is what I did. I installed it in Shadowmode with Shadowdefender. The registry changes were done on the normal system, so they are there. I checked in the Network Properties, and several other options were available.

So, I put it in Shadowmode and tried the Look n Stop install. I couldn't do a restart like I was supposed to, but I started the app. Never got that far before, I had previously never made it to the window telling me I needed to do a restart to load Look n Stop. I manually started the program, got the error Infw 0, couldn't load. Then, it loaded up. Recognized the network, and I have a Look n Stop driver loaded in the wireless connection properties.

Should I do the install for real, or do the manual install again? I will wait out a response from you or Frederic before doing anything- I've come to far to screw up now.

15. Phant0m

:)

After having rebooted, you can uninstall Look ‘n’ Stop and re-boot, and before using the regular Look ‘n’ Stop installation package, ensure the ‘Look ‘n’ Stop Driver’ was removed from the different Network adapters.

16. dueceswild

I am sorry Phant0m, I am not making myself clear. I installed the normal installation package in Shadowmode; nothing is left after reboot. However, when it was installed in Shadowmode, the Look 'n ' Stop driver was there. After reboot nothing existed.

My question is knowing that, should I try the manual install again, or just go with a normal install.

I did get the Infw (0) error initially, but I started the service without a reboot. And after I got the error and clicked ok, everything seemed fine.

17. Phant0m

If there’s no Look ‘n’ Stop Driver listed in your active connection properties, you shouldn’t have packet filtering capability... Did you visit the Look ‘n’ Stop application main screen and access the Look ‘n’ Stop - ‘Options’ screen/Tab and see if you have an entry in ‘Network Interfaces’ for your wireless adapter?

18. dueceswild

The driver was present where it should be. Shadowmode erases everything. I just didn't know whether to do the regular or manual install. I think it's going to work- I just don't know which installation method to use now.

Shadowmode is like a virtual machine that doesn't survive reboots.

19. Phant0m

You can try the manual approach, just encase a step fails, you can give the information to Fred to where exactly it does.

20. Phant0m

If the manual procedures works successfully, then using next time the original installer package should be without errors. :)

21. dueceswild

Ok. You are saying to do the manual install for the driver, then do i uninstall if the driver goes in ok or install the regular L'n'S install package over the manually installed driver?

Which L'n'S installer do I use? The refular one from the website or a special one you pointed me to earlier in the thread?

22. Phant0m

Well you don’t have to uninstall, but knowing all you had went through, you might want to verify the regular package works successfully. And if that is the case, you should download the package that downloads and installs the VC2005-SP1 libraries. ;)

23. dueceswild

Ok. I will give it a try when I get back home in about an hour.

24. dueceswild

Phant0m, Frederic,

THANK YOU. Everything works PERFECTLY. I am going to play around for a few days/weeks with it in light of all of the problems I have had, but assuming it continues to work, I will be a very satisfied customer.

Jim

25. Phant0m

I think everything is fine now, if you seeing your active network adapter in Look ‘n’ Stop 'Network interfaces’ list and on the Look ‘n’ Stop - ‘Welcome’ screen displays an valid IP address and the ‘Statistics’ filtered packets information is increased from 0 ... then everything is working as it should. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.