Problem with install

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by dueceswild, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dueceswild

dueceswild Registered Member

I believe you are right Phant0m; I have downloaded trials on 3 computers; all installed without a hitch. All 3 have C++2005 installed; just not the one that counts (mine). Maybe the bigger issue is why can't I install it on my computer?

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

This problem is not related to VC2005 libraries.

It is a problem to install the Packet Filter driver.

What you can try is a manual installation of this driver.
    The manual installation package can be found here: http://looknstop.soft4ever.com/Drivers/2.07/
    with the following content:
    - DriverManualInstall.zip => some (stepx) screenshots of the different steps to do the manual installation.
    - lnsdriver-win32.zip => driver package for a 32 bits OS
    - lnsdriver-x64.zip => driver package for a 64 bits OS

Here is the procedure:
    - unzip the driver package in a specific location (such as c:\tmp\lnsdriver)
    - open the properties of the Network Adapter Look 'n' Stop should filter (see step1 screeshot in DriverManualInstall.zip)
    - click on Install, select service, and Ok (see step2, here the Look 'n' Stop driver is already installed, but for you it will not be there yet)
    - select "have disk", go to the location where you unzipped the files, click OK (see step3)
    - normally a new dialog box open with the Look 'n' Stop driver, select it and Ok (see step4)
    - eventually the installer will ask you the location of lnsfw.sys file, just select again the location where you unzipped the files (see step5)
    - at the end, and if it has worked, the Look 'n' Stop driver should be in the list of services attached to your network adapter.
    - Stop and restart the Look 'n' Stop application, and normally the adapter should be listed in the options. If it is not, try a reboot.

Let me know if there is a problem for any step.

Regards,

Frederic

3. stevvie

stevvie Registered Member

dueceswild, has this worked as I too am unable to install look'n'stop on my newly installed windows7 X64 after several years of excellent use in XP.

4. dueceswild

Hello Frederic and thank you for the detailed response. Unfortunately, when I get here:
    I cannot proceed as I incur an error stating "could not add the requested component. The error is the system could not find the file specified".

To that point I had unzipped the files as instructed, but installed nothing. The error occurs when I click on install.

Thank you,

Jim

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Do you have the same error code ?
    Did you check "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion" ?

It is strange this problem appears on a fresh installation. Was there really no other security software (Antivirus, Firewall...) or network related software (VPN...) installed ?

Thanks,

Frederic

6. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, thanks for trying this procedure.
    If you have this error message as soon as you press the Install button, there is really a problem in Windows configuration (and normally not linked to Look 'n' Stop).

This is typically what happens when DevicePath is not correct in the registry.

Could you try to force it to C:\Windows\inf (instead of %SystemRoot%\inf , assuming your windows system folder is "Windows") ?
    Before doing the change, you should export the key to a file, to be able to put it back.
    I think it's better to reboot after doing the change and before trying again the manual installation method, to be sure it is taken into account.

Here is another reference of the same issue which was solved that way:
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=985361&page=7

Maybe the type of the key is not REG_EXPAND_SZ and this would explain why %SystemRoot% is not expanded to "c:\windows".

Regards,

Frederic

7. dueceswild

Thanks again for the prompt response. I will be happy to try this, but I am unfamiliar with how to do registry changes and I don't understand ho to do what you suggest. The article you reference may be of benefit as well, but again I am uncertain as how to implement it. It's not that your instructions are unclear, it's more that I need step by step instructions to do what you ask.

I am also unclear on what I am supposed to force the installation of. Do you mean L'n'S (if so which version with regard to libraries) or the manual installation link you provided today?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Just do the following:
    1- start regedit
    2- select this location: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
    3- from the File menu, select "Export..." enter a filename and press Save (this step is just to make a copy of the current content)
    4- on the right pane, double-click on DevicePath, a dialog box will open with %SystemRoot%\inf for the data value, just replace it with c:\windows\inf and press Ok (please check first you system folder is "C:\Windows" and this folder exists on your system, this is the default usual location, but if the system was installed on a different drive or with a different folder, you have to use the right pathname, it could be for instance D:\Win7)
    5- reboot
    6- and try again the manual installation.

On Step 4, be sure to select DevicePath, and to change only this one.
    Still on step 4, please have a look to the Type column for DevicePath. Is it mentioned REG_EXPAND_SZ ? (or REG_SZ ?) This is just to understand what the issue could be.

Thanks,

Frederic

9. dueceswild

Frederic,

I did as you requested. The data string was quite long for that value; I only changed the %SystemRoot% value to c:\windows\inf. Other values include %SystemDrive%\Drivers\Lan; %SystemDrive%\Drivers\Audio, etc. I left the rest of the string stayed the same. I rebooted, and the change was there. I then tried the manual install again, and got the same error.

The Type column for the DevicePath is listed as REG_EXPAND_SZ.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  10. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

If you visit the Start Menu \ Run, or Start Menu \ Accessories \ Run, and enter-in to the ‘Open:’ field.. %SystemRoot%\inf ...and clicking ‘OK’ button and it brings up the Windows Explorer screen to :WINDOWS\inf\ .. then there’s really no need to modify the DevicePath value data. But if the DevicePath value type isn’t REG_EXPAND_SZ, you need to correct this problem.

Attached Files:

11. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Which value did you have exactly, before changing it ?
    Could you make the same screenshot as Phant0m's one, with what you have now.

If finally the problem is still there with the same configuration as the one shown by Phant0m's screenshot, then there is probably another reason than a bad "DevicePath" to encounter this issue.
    As I said in my previous post, the problem seems to be independant from Look 'n' Stop, because at the Step2, a dialog box should open, and this step is common to any network related components you would like to add.

Maybe it is linked to another security software which prevent the installation of network components ? (or hardware components)

I did additional research on Internet, I've found some other check or tool, that may help:
    In a Windows command line window (Run/Execute from the start menu, enter CMD and enter), try the following command to check if there is any issue there:
    esentutl /G %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
    if some error are reported, then to repair do:
    esentutl /P %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb

This is coming from:
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/31352109/unable-to-install-microso.aspx

Here, it is suggested to use WinSockFix:
    http://www.pcmech.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-167880.html
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

Note: For XP, it is probably Ok, to use this tool. For Vista/Win7, I'm not sure, and I would not recommend using it (until seeing some real cases/posts saying it worked too for these OS).

Regards,

Frederic

12. Phant0m

Repair & Reset Vista and Windows 7 TCP/IP Winsock..

1. Click on Start button.
    2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    4. Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. Install Look 'n' Stop

If Look 'n' Stops fails again, also do the below steps..

Reinstall & Reset TCP/IP (Internet Protocol)

1. Click on Start button.
    2. Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    4. Type netsh int ip reset reset.log in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    5. Restart the computer.
    6. Install Look 'n' Stop

13. dueceswild

Frederic,

Here are the shots (I think anyway) you requested. Note, this is after I had changed the %SystemRoot%\inf back from the c:\windows\inf. I couldn't tell where it made any difference. I can change back if need be. I left the rest of the string alone; just changed the %SystemRoot% portion.

snagit2.png
    snagitpic.png

14. Phant0m

Ahhh DevicePath using multiple entries... ;p

15. Phant0m

If you done the backup of that location, as Frederic detailed in post #33 - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1656658&postcount=33, you then can safely edit the DevicePath value data and remove everything after %SystemRoot%\inf ..then try installing Look ‘n’ Stop. ;)

... if Look 'n' Stop installs or not, you can re-import the registry file u exported, to restore the original DevicePath value data.

16. dueceswild

Thanks Phant0m, I'll try that. To be clear, do you want me to just remove everything after the %SystemRoot%, or change to c:\windows\inf THEN remove everything?

And which version of Look n Stop?

17. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

This should be normally supported, but maybe the problem is one of the paths no longer exist.

My suggestion would be:
    - copy the content of the DevicePath data somewhere (in a file or whatever) for a later reference, also copy/paste it here on the forum (because on the screenshot we don't see it fully)
    - modify it to just let the basic entry %SystemRoot%\inf and nothing else
    - reboot
    - check the data is not modified and still just contain %SystemRoot%\inf
    - try again the manual installation step

Thanks,

Frederic

18. Phant0m

Frederic clarified! :)

19. dueceswild

Here are the registry entries before change:

%SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Lan;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Audio;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Modem;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Video;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Tuner;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\SND;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\VID;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\MOD;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\NET;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\SCS;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\OTH

20. dueceswild

Here it is a little easier to read: %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Lan;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Audio;
    %SystemDrive%\Drivers\Modem;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Video;%SystemDrive%\Drivers\Tuner;%SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\SND;
    %SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\VID;
    %SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\MOD;
    %SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\NET;
    %SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\SCS;
    %SystemDrive%\windows\i386\DRV\OTH

21. dueceswild

Unfortunately that doesn't work either. I removed the rest of the entries, leaving only the %SystemRoot%\inf.

Downloaded the manual install package, saved to the tmp folder as instructed.

Then, Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->Right Click on wireless network connection (not wired into anything- laptop is wireless only)->Properties->Highlight the only option which is Client for Microsoft Networks->Install->Service-> Add->same error as before.

22. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Ok, so there is definetly another problem in windows configuration.

You should try now this command:
    esentutl /G %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
    in a Windows command box.

And if some error are revealed (please copy/paste here) try:
    esentutl /P %windir%\security\Database\secedit.sdb
    to repair them.

And if something was repaired, reboot + test again the Service installation.

Frederic

23. dueceswild

Frederic,
    The good news (I guess) is that the integrity check came back successful. No errors.

24. Phant0m

In ‘Network Connections’ and clicking on the active network adapter entry and visiting ‘Properties’ in the context menu. On the properties dialog for your adapter, I assume you have no ‘Look ‘n’ Stop Driver’ entry in the list of items.

Clicking ‘Install’ button, and it asks what ‘Network Feature Type’ you want to install, selecting ‘Services’ and clicking ‘Add’, ... I assume to this point everything was followed without errors?

The next dialog you see after clicking ‘Add’ button on the previous dialog, is the one asking you to ‘Select Network Services’ now?

I imagine your both listboxes are empty? And there is no information in the right listbox stating something about .. no devices found? You just see an empty listbox on the right?

25. dueceswild

Correct

Correct, only it says Install instead of Add

Correct, now I have the option to add.

I don't know what lisboxes you refer to. After I highlight Services and click Add, I get the error. I have the option, before clicking Add, to choose Client, Service, or Protocol. I select Service, then Add, then get the error.

What happens is this: Start->Control Panel->Network Connections->Wireless Network Connection->Right Click->Properties->Brings up window that says Wireless Network Properties. Here, I have the tabs General, Wireless Networks, and Advanced. I stay on General. Has a box to "configure" which takes me to the network card. I leave all of that alone. Below, and in the same box, is an area that says Client for Microsoft Networks, with a check in the box. I highlight the Client for Microsoft Windows and click Install->Service->Add->Error.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.