Problem with BOClean AutoUpdate

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by beetlejuice, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

:'( Just purchased BOClean v 4.10 and am having trouble with the Autoupdate feature. I am running ZAP3 and have tried to allow everything to get a connection. BOClean updater just freezes up. Have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to release it. Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
    Steve

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

beetlejuice,

I recommend dropping Kevin McAleavey an email - he's known for fast and accurate customer support: kevinmca@nsclean.com

Best of luck!

regards.

paul

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Never a problem with the updater. Sometimes it takes a while, but never longer than one minute. BoClean’s tech support is indeed excellent, in fact, the best that I have ever seen. If Kevin takes 24 hours to answer your question he’ll apologize for having taken "so long". I wish all software companies had such lousy tech support. Good luck.

4. Loki

Loki Registered Member

Hi beetlejuice,

Have you set BOClean updater in ZA to allow? I used to use ZAPRO 3 and anytime something needed to update if ZA stop it for permission the update would freeze like the that. Just an idea.

Loki :cool:

5. beetlejuice

Hi Loki, Yes I've set ZAP3 to allow BOClean. I encountered the freeze problem on the first update. Then after closing BOClean, I reset ZAP and still no luck. Updating is now the least of my problems. After giving up on BOClean last night, I booted up today and 1 program after another was throwing errors. I had to hard shutdown, and run GoBack to get my computer working again. I think that I might have gotten 2 bad downloads from Digital River. I sent an e-mail to NSClean. Still waiting to hear back. Thanks for the thought. Steve

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Try adding ftp.nsclean.com to the "Trusted" area in your Zones.

If that doesn't work, also try changing your Trusted Zone security to "Medium".

See picture below...

Best regards,

-Javacool

Attached Files:

7. beetlejuice

:mad: To Javacool and everyone who tried to help, thank you but after continued program and system crashes, and no response from anyone at either nsclean or Digital River, I have completely given up on BOClean. Clean installs, loaded installs, setting changes in ZAP3 and anything else I could think of, or things that were suggested made no difference. The program simply would not run on my machine without causing more problems in the last 4 days than I've had in the last 6 years. And as far as the support from nsclean, it seems to be nonexistant. I doubt if I'll ever get my money back! In my opinion, BOClean and their support S-CKS :p> :(

8. javacool

I'm very surprised you did not get a fast response. Perhaps you could try resending your message just to make sure it was received ok?

If you would like a version of BOClean 4.10 that you are sure is NOT a bad download, you can e-mail them at upgrade@nsclean.com with your customer information (quote: "Include your full name, email at time of purchase and order number if available. This will help us to expedite your request.") and they should send you the latest version directly.

Don't give up on BOClean so quickly - it is a great program. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. Steven Lewis

Steven Lewis Guest

Hi Javacool. All of my downloads were 234 kb. Do you know if that's the right size? I'm almost afraid to try it again. The last time I almost lost my computer completely.
    Steve

10. javacool

I believe that is the right size, yes. Contact them at the upgrade address I posted - also make sure to mention your problem with the downloads you received earlier, and express your uncertainty regarding the issue.

Best regards,

-Javacool

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I must admit I am VERY suprized that you have not heard anything; this just isn't like Kevin and Nancy. But you WILL get your money back.

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi beetlejuice,

I assume that you have version 4.10.004 of BOClean.

Maybe the following could help:

If BOClean keeps giving you problems, you could try the following. Kevin once told it me, and I just saw it mentioned again in a thread at the GRC-forum where someone posted the same trick which Kevin told him.

1. Shutdown BOClean.
    2. Open the file boclean.ini (located in the directory C:\windows ) in NOTEPAD
    3. Under the [Prefs] heading add the following new line:
    Memtiming=200
    4. Then hit SAVE (instead of "Save as" in the file item up top) and then stop.
    5. Restart BOClean.

This will make BOClean to wait 200 milliseconds.

13. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Does the download site list the CRC or MD5 hashes ?

This would be advised so integrity can be checked in moments, reduces some questions of is the download ok, and bandwidth of continual download attempts :)

The 200ms INI file change sounds good for compatibility :)

14. FanJ

FanJ Guest

It does not give those hashes but BOClean has its own way of checking the integrity of an update.

I quote from the following site, with highlighting by me (and see my screenshot of the BOClean-menu):

http://www.nsclean.com/supboc.html

Quote:
    [hr]
    The third button marked "Check for update" will launch the "BOC4UPD" autoupdate module of BOClean, new to the 4.10 version. When selected, if you are online, BOClean will check our site for an update and if one is available, will download and install it automatically to the location specified in the BOClean configuration settings. It will automatically validate, verify and install without any action on your part. If no update is available since the last one, you will be told that there's no new update to collect at this time and the updater will exit and re-verify your existing update. If you are using a firewall, you will be alerted to the BOClean update module trying to access the internet via FTP (port 21 on the other end) to perform the update. If your firewall blocks the BOClean updater, then an automatic update will not be possible and you may need to do it manually. If you encounter problems updating, contact your firewall vendor for assistance in allowing BOClean to perform its autoupdate.

The fourth button allows you to import a newly installed update into BOClean without the need to shut down BOClean or reboot the system to accept a new update. BOClean will authenticate the update and will then change the date on the panel to reflect the new update if it passes inspection. It is marked "verify/test update" but can also be used to import a manually downloaded BOClean update if you choose to collect yours the way you did in the past, as well as to allow you to have BOClean check its current update to ensure that it hasn't been tampered with.

Attached Files:

15. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

you might be haveing problems cause old regystry keys of boclean 4.9 is in your regystry thers also a copy i think either in your temp foldr in windows or dang cant remember the other place same place 4.10 goes

might have to clean it out and reinstall boclean with a real clean install

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi FanJ ;)

Actually I meant when you download the EXE you just purchased, as I now understand this is somewhere on Digital River and not a NSClean site.. I guess they could provide the current build checksum in a registered email or something though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.