problem with BoClean 425

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by _ab, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ab

_ab Registered Member

Hi,

using that version of BoClean, i´m experiencing strange behaviour from the application. The process then starts using about 50% of CPU time, which is quite annoying. There is no special circumstances which could be possibly explain this, as it seems.

It happens randomly, & i didn´t see it happening for maybe a couple of weeks now. If i cannot fix this issue, i will have to remove BOC425. Anyone an idea, what could be the reason for the high CPU?

2. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

Haven't seen that myself. Do you by any chance use spybots teatimer? I remeber Kevin saying that boc and teatimer don't get along too well.

Probably the Boclean forum is the best place to ask.

3. _ab

_ab Registered Member

naw, no tea timer here. Maybe i have to check another program, which is also free. i turned off automatic updates now, maybe that was the reason.

thx!

4. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

SpyBot Search & Destroy's Resident 'TeaTimer' is not actually anything like BOClean, though TeaTimer *is* a resource hog, but they certainly don't conflict on my WinXP SP2 system, though I no longer use TeaTimer because of its resource hogging.

5. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I've never had them conflict either, except with the initial comodo boclean release, but...
    According to that thread, the conflict is only apparent on systems with less than 1Gb RAM.

6. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

The cause is usually memory fragmentation... Solution: You need to release unused program chunks from memory "Manually" on some system for some reasons.

A free tool with a built in memory "Release"/"Defrag" is IOBIT Advanced windows Care 2.0 (you can get the Memory cleaner from the Tools menu, not from the main interface). This tool actually does work well but you must keep running it manually repeatedly until it tells you that you can no longer release any more memory. It will also tell you how much physical ram it released each time... It also helps restore performance from gradual degradation related to memory mishandling. I have released up to 400 mb on some system... Solving problems users would blame on everything but the tooth fairy!

Get it here: http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html

Heres a pic of it:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Hermes, :)
    do you mean the conflict with the two softwares or, these symptoms generally?..and can you explain why this will help.
    How does it achieve this, is it forcing RAM to the page file increasing the amount of free RAM? Or do you know if it uses the SetProcessWorkingSetSize API on process to force virtual memory to be paged out.
    I'll tell you where I coming from on this, I'm not sold on the memory mishandling and in general I believe that paging out RAM will have an adverse effect in the end on any optimization but, how does the releasing/defragging memory help out with the problem?

8. Hermescomputers

Well... The most common problem I see with Windows PC, is users experiencing weird, and unexplainable program behaviors they tend to attribute to all sorts of reasons... Usually de-fragging the memory (basically cleaning up the gaps between still working programs, and clearing bits of closed programs not completely released by the OS) will resolve those types of issues. As will rebooting the machine since at boot up all programs are loaded contiguously...

As a rule if you cant trap the error or find a bug anywhere, this simple explanation is usually correct.

The Opposite is true actually It is working to release programs from the page file, linked to closed but "unreleased" program bits from memory areas but still live in swap as well as re organizing things contiguously... Effectively reducing Both RAM and page file size and thus increasing performance in both RAM & Disk... I don't know for sure why the O.S. closes programs but keeps some control bits live in both RAM and swap but for some reasons this adds up to fragmentation over time and the ensuing instability...

I know the OS is "Supposedly" able to defrag in real time and cleanup after it'self, but to me it is somewhat like Microsoft's claims that you don't need to defragment your hard disk in Windows... (Very recently they acknowledged the obvious).

Actually if you look at the two graphics in my previous post you will notice that the amount of memory released is actually reflected in both RAM and Swap, in this case 1 MB.

I hope this helps clear things up :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I certainly understand the process, it is the software I'm not really familiar with and whether it is interfering with Windows virtual memory management.
    I suppose the only way to find out if it is freeing RAM properly and correctly is to have a look.

10. Hermescomputers

The only part of the software I can say is really good is the memory cleaner and for some reasons it is buried in the interface and not visible on the surface... successfully used by me a lot ;) Besides even if it would temporarily interfere with Windows vtm, it still is solving problems with system that have been on too long with too many programs running. I see it as a complement to vtm. I never used to be big on memory tools such as this but this one has a demonstrated track record with me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.