Problem w/ ESS b2

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by IcePanther, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

I recently bought a new computer, which came with Windows Vista. I installed ESS beta2 on it, and then, the problems started :

First, my home router (a Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT as a custom firmware) used to have WPA2/AES set as the wireless encryption. Now, when ESS was installed, the computer didn't connect to the network at all, and I had to revert it to WPA/TKIP. Now, on my other computer which runs XP, no problem. Now, with ESS uninstalled, no problem regarding the WPA2.

Second, I'm a big TES4 : Oblivion player, and I was very disappointed to find that I can't open any .7z archive (a format widely used among the oblivion modders community) when ESS is installed : they seem to download properly but then appear corrupt (either with 7-zip itself or WinRAR), whatever the configuration for web antivirus is (firefox set as a browser or not, with active filtering or not). Again, with ESS uninstalled, no problem.

This thread's just to notify people at ESET about these problems, and see of someone else had the same. As for me, I'll just wait beta2a / beta3 / rc / whatever the next public build is.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do not set your browsers to higher efficiency mode as it may corrupt files. This bug has been fixed in the mean time. As for the problem with WPA2, try enabling logging all blocked connections and check the firewall log for details in case there's some info.

3. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

the bug being fixed - is that the one with zip files and active broowser settings??

Ruben

Test - no :)-((

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  4. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

5. Najmi

Najmi Registered Member

hmmm i am using ESS with WPA2 with AES

no issues..

6. IcePanther

If I understand you correctly, this bug (with .7z archives) has been resolved -is the solution available via automatic updates or do I have to wait for the next beta for it to be fixed ? EDIT : I reinstalled ESS (much faster than KIS even on this new dual core system) and the bug persists when active mode is on for firefox, so I guess it will be fixed in an upcoming release. Anyway, I can just disable active mode when downloading .7z files in the meantime...

Also, I'll try to do as you suggested, but I doubt that was the problem since it happened even with the firewall disabled. This problem occurs on the router at my secondary location, so I may not be able to tell for a while (until I get back there)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  7. IcePanther

Hi,

My WPA2 (or WPA) / AES problem seems not to be ESS related but Vista related. I uninstalled ESS just for kicks and still it doesn't connect to my routers if I use AES. :(

8. FredGreco

FredGreco Registered Member

What does this mean? Where is the setting for "higher efficiency" for browsers?

Some help would be appreciated - I have experienced corrupt archive downloads as well.

9. IcePanther

In ESS, it's called "active mode" and not "higher efficiency"... It's under advanced setup -> antivirus protection -> web access protection -> HTTP -> web browsers -> active mode.

Disabling it for firefox (because it's the one I use, you may disable the setting for your download client/browser) solved the problem when I downloaded archives, now corruption doesn't occur. Nevertheless, I leave it on when I don't download archives for security purposes.
    Hoping this was helpful,

10. woody72

woody72 Registered Member

has anyone else had a problem updating? ess beta 2 reports 'base file missing' any thoughts?

11. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

12. woody72

woody72 Registered Member

nice one, cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.