Problem shutting down windows

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadi

hadi Guest

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

ok...again to quick...must be the coffee in this place...

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I just noticed a new symtom of my shutdown problem. As I said before, when I try to shut down the computer restarts. I just realized that if I am shutting down when in the 'safe mode', the computer gets to the screen where it says saving profile (or words to that effect) at then just stays there. That sounds very close the the problem that is solved in Ravin's link. I did try it, with no luck, but now I wonder if I should have tried it in the safe mode. Grasping at straws? well maybe the straws will hold some day!

- HandsOff

4. ravin

ravin Registered Member

HandsOff,

right click my computer and select manage.. when it opens look in events under system - clue may be there.

also do a search for DrWatson - if found open it and double click the log file it's a text based error report by date and time scroll through and look for similarity's and should see another clue in log.

hope this helps narrow the search. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  5. HandsOff

Ravin-

The only event log error was concerning wwSecure.exe. I uninstalled the corrosponding program webroot's window washer to see if anything would change and it did not.

Do you ever check your event logs for the UPHC events. up till now the only one I was getting was 1001 which is:

User profile hive cleanup service version 1.5.5.21 started successfully.

I never see the corrosponding message of service shut down.

Then I tried a reboot in the safe mode with UPHC and I got a bunch of errors indicating a problem which it is supposed to fix, but it looks like it will not.

the errors:

The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 8007043C from line 44 of d:\nt_qxp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040206.

and one related to UPHC:

Windows saved user X registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

I thought I was supposed to be given the name of the offender. Well, at least some more pieces to the puzzle. the service "volume shadow copy" is one I never know what to do with. I currently have it disabled for my XPHome-sp1 o/s. maybe this is a problem.

- HandsOff

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

7. HandsOff

Well, the problem is....I am running it! Ravin suggested it. UPHC is my abriviation for User Profile Hive Cleanupservice. Sorry for the confusion, but I feel that one of the few pleasures I get from trying to maintain my computer is the ability to speak and write in letters instead of complete words. KWIM?

I am beginning to realize two things:

1) I may have some service shut down that windows needs to have running, but probably is not listed explicitly as being a requirement.

2) I will never resolve this problem! :'( :( :mad:

-HandsOff

8. G-Force

G-Force Guest

To address the initial poster's issue, a suggestion from Joe ....
    xxxx://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1124586371
    Swap the x's! ;)

Just a thought, but sounds logical.

Tam1, check question seventeen on the Mozilla link.

GF

9. ravin

ravin Registered Member

Did you find the folder DrWatson and open and then open the log file by double clicking it?? it maintains a list of naughty programs and errors are recorded by PID number and the tasks running at that time by their respective PID. it may help locate the troublesome application.

10. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

The main problem with the correct shutting down of xp or rebooting centers around your sound and modem drivers. I have been testing this problem for the last 3 years and i can only get windows to show this fault with drivers. Normally uninstalling your sound driver is sufficient to make a good judgment on this. Also the incorrect usage of certain registry software and settings in tweaking software will also prevent drivers from operating satisfactory. As i say if your problem is bad i would uninstall your sound / modem/ nforce/ drivers which hopefully will confirm where your fault lay and then reinstall them one by one to find the culprit

11. trojan

trojan Registered Member

thier is lots of programes that will shutdown your pc very quick i have had problems like this myself and use programes like "kill win" that allows you to kill all windows on screen false shutdown,reboot and has timed shutdows. Also "shutdown super fast" which has no other options just quick shutdown and quick reboot i find this 1 very quick on my system

**http://www.xp-smoker.com/freeware.html**
    superfast shutdown very quick on my system

www.pcanswers.co.uk/downloads/defau...eid=7589&subsectionid=604&subsubsectionid=376
    kill win has lots of options

edited to replace questionable link to the developer's own link - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  12. !!!

!!! Guest

<snip> Isn't that the legit-looking site that has all the trojans?

edited to remove reference to link which is removed pending admin review - Detox

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2005
  13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

from the site

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

That was me posting as !!!, didn't want to log in until I could substantiate that a bit. If you look at this thread, Starrob comments on a website:
    In that post, he takes some text verbatim from the website in question, and if you Google that, it takes you to free downloads center. Take a look around the site, at the applications they offer in various categories. Ever heard of them before? Seen them on the usual freeware sites? No, me neither.

As I'm not running a zillion security apps, I don't want to put my suspicions to the test. Maybe some brave soul will step in...

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I have changed the earlier link to the software developer's link to be on the safe side.

edit to fix typo - Detox

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  16. HandsOff

Hi Nick!

By nForce drivers, you refer to Nvidia drivers? For a long time I have had my doubts about the drivers for my Geforce4. And I have installed many, many versions. None perform perfectly, although most do except for with one application (Photoshop - BTW it effects the cursor displayed in photoshop)

I don't have the nview, or special features activated, or the tray icon. not much else I can do other than buy a new card!

-Handsoff

17. NICK ADSL UK

Hi handsOff :)
    Yes i do mean Nvidia drivers. Shutdown Software is all well and good if you are having difficulty's but with a bit of perseverance of what you have installed you should be able to find the offending software and remove it and then to seek advice on what to replace it with

Regards

18. HandsOff

Hello Nick -

I'm not sure how to go about diagnosing the problem at this point. I am not showing any errors consistantly in my event logs, nor are there any hardware conflicts in my device manager.

the error i refered to earlier the 1517 error only occurred when I was shutting down from the safe mode, so that may not be a legitimate error.

There is an anomaly with Nvidia, that I only know is related to the video card from Adobe's reference to the error concerning the cursor. (it does not respect the settings for standard-brushsize-precise. The card itself came with my gateway computer, so I am guessing it may have some differences with other cards of its generic type (Geforce4 4600ti 128 mb). I have used the two drivers from gateways site. I've used at least four from Microsoft Update Catalog. and probably a couple from Nvidia's site. It is sort of hard to evalute which card works best when none of them report any errors (that I recall)

Gateway's support would only say to try their drivers first, and that theirs were the only drivers that they would support.

I don't think NVidia is behind the shutdown problem (my crystal ball)

On the other hand, I use internet explorer, which is, as you know, made by Microsoft.

I do suspect IE6, but am at a loss to find anything that actually implicates it, except that when I set up Webroot Window Washer v6 to automatically start and do a wash at windows start up I usually get this complaint: should I close all browser windows. Normally this is asked only when a browser window is open. So...it thinks IE is open...hmmmm

Okay that's where I am at. I have un/installed WWWasher to determine that was not the culprit.

I really don't see much evidence of problems except the shutdown thing.

How does one perservere at this point?

-HandsOff

Late addition:

Another thought of mine has to do with wini and system init

In both cases I have checked support for 16 bit apps. I have heard that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I've heard that NAV and NPF stand a good chance of going haywire without this checked, particularly when installing updates. I seem to remember unchecking it once and nothing happened, but don't really remember why or when I did so.

19. NICK ADSL UK

Hi HandsOff :)
    Neither do i!!!
    As i have said in my previous post it is most likely a sound or modem driver? There was one case i was looking at a few months back with a neighbor's computer in which it turned out to be a memory issue which relates to the windows 16 subsystem. In this case just adding another stick to take it up to 512mb was the answer as despite the task manager saying you have enough memory you may not have enough for installing software and rebooting. As i say if you persevere and it will take time you should come up trumps in the finish.
    Another thing to remember is to make sure when windows starts. If your system is correctly configured this should only take 45 seconds with 512mb and 2GHZ Processor if it is taking longer than this you will need to address this issue. Also when looking in task manager in performance the figure here after boot up should be around 300mb of available memory left. If it should be lower a better choice of software configuration will pay dividend's. Software like process explorer and Autoruns from the authors Mark Russinovich and Bryce Cogswell will help with what is loading up with windows and you will then be able to see and make the necessary adjustments to fine tune your own system and when done you should see a big overall improvement

Regards

20. Sorry to pry in this thread but I have had three machines all doing the 'XPCom' on me and everytime I've seemed to have fixed it.

I'm running kersio firewall with AVG and firefox, but I hadn't enabled XP's built in nortons firewall- now I've enabled it ( meaning I'm running two firewalls) the problem is solved.

Everytime this has worked for me, the proof is me tapping away for longer than the usual two minutes it gives me.

Hope it works for you.

21. HandsOff

Nick - I have a 1.8 ghz P4, 1GB ram. From completely shut down it takes about 1 for windows to completely load. I define that as my 9 tray icons are loaded, no hourglass cursor and hard drive not making reading writing sounds.

I don't doubt it could be related to my sound card, Creative SBLive. My drivers "should" be the correct ones, but creative is not always a simple installation. Sound isn't bad for a card of its price, but maybe someday I will get a real sound card and my problems will go away.

As to Modem. I took it out to make more room for my other cards. no complaints from the system, so I guess it is not a problem.

since my computer runs well other than the shut down thing, I guess I am pretty much giving up.

---

I do have ICF / ICS disabled as well as IPSEC. I am not aware of any problems being related to this. I could enable ICF/ICS and the firewall. Most people don't, but I don't think its a problem.

IPSEC I don't think I need for anything.

----

Hadi, If you are still following this thread. I tried (briefly) the trial for CachemanXP. I guess I would need the full version because I do not think I understand all the parameters enough to be changing them manually, and I thing my memory resources are covered most of the time by 1 GB of ram.

I do use it up sometimes but it takes quite a bit to do so. It almost never happens, just when I have several huge pictures I am editing at the same time (more than about 10 25mb pictures can be a problem. operations on them are intensive)

- HandsOff

Wait! back up the bus! There has been an issue with my ethernet 10/100 pro v card. in the past it worked fine until I upgraded the driver. I went back and it worked fine again. Still, no error messages...

22. HandsOff

I don't know what to say. Out of desperation, since it worked for you I gave it a try. However, when I tried activating XP responded with some message that was so vagues as to be almost useless that amounted to 'not gonna do it' . I realized that the ICF/ICS service was probably disabled so I tried enabling it. again the response was roughly, 'not gonna do it'. so I look at the services on which it depends (see picture) and enable all of them. Now the firewall starts. And amazingly, now my computer will shut down. I'm not sure of the cause and effect of this. I confused the matter by enabling a several other services. I will hopefully narrow the candidates by eliminating them one by one. Or maybe I will never know. But...after all this time...the problem is gone!

- HandsOff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  23. Glad to be of some help in some direct/indirect way.

I've never had any conflicts with the two firewalls running, Kerio handles all the internet traffic and Norton never comes up. It didn't give me warning message when I did it, but hey it works and that is what is important.

24. hadi

hadi Guest

25. HandsOff

Hadi-

Yes, that is very good to know. I do have the service, and it is deactivated. I realized I made some mistakes while using UPHC (User Profile Hive Cleaner). I am never sure if posting my stupid mistakes will possibly help others, or just hurt my credibility, but here it comes.

-UPHC depends on a windows debugging to running
    -I don't usually look at the logs that "DrWatson" constantly writes, so a long
    time ago I deactivated with a regedit change (lots of people do)
    -when DrWatson is switched off this appears to effect the debugging tool and
    UPHC tool doesn't function fully.

Okay, this is where I am at. Lsass.exe is implicated, and a call stack log has been added.

The following handles in user profile hive ELECTROBRAIN\have been closed because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully:

lsass.exe (572)
    HKCU (0x3bc)

0x77e2a1aa ADVAPI32!CredFree+0x6c1
    0x773418c0 comctl32!InitCommonControlsEx+0x1f7
    0x773424bb comctl32!RemoveWindowSubclass+0x4e5
    0x77341a0c comctl32!InitCommonControlsEx+0x343
    0x77f56771 ntdll!RtlCreateHeap+0xf20
    0x77f6151e ntdll!LdrGetProcedureAddress+0x5b6
    0x77f570e0 ntdll!LdrLoadDll+0x1c5
    0x77e7d854 kernel32!LoadLibraryExW+0xc8
    0x77e73b70 kernel32!LoadLibraryW+0xd
    0x7cd55d46 shell32!Ordinal646+0x965
    0x7cd29d69 shell32!Ordinal517+0x29d69
    0x77f5b42c ntdll!LdrInitializeThunk+0x24
    0x77f56771 ntdll!RtlCreateHeap+0xf20
    0x77f6151e ntdll!LdrGetProcedureAddress+0x5b6
    0x77f570e0 ntdll!LdrLoadDll+0x1c5
    0x77e7d854 kernel32!LoadLibraryExW+0xc8
    0x77e73b70 kernel32!LoadLibraryW+0xd
    0x7453a119 LSASRV!LsaIOpenPolicyTrusted+0xf12
    0x7453a088 LSASRV!LsaIOpenPolicyTrusted+0xe81
    0x7453a00e LSASRV!LsaIOpenPolicyTrusted+0xe07
    0x780038f7 RPCRT4!NdrServerInitializeNew+0x8f5
    0x780791a5 RPCRT4!NdrStubCall2+0x1a5
    0x780795aa RPCRT4!NdrServerCall2+0x17
    0x78002d28 RPCRT4!NdrServerInitialize+0x269
    0x78002ca5 RPCRT4!NdrServerInitialize+0x1e6
    0x78002baf RPCRT4!NdrServerInitialize+0xf0
    0x7800729b RPCRT4!I_RpcTransGetThreadEvent+0xe00
    0x780071a7 RPCRT4!I_RpcTransGetThreadEvent+0xd0c
    0x780070eb RPCRT4!I_RpcTransGetThreadEvent+0xc50
    0x78006fc8 RPCRT4!I_RpcTransGetThreadEvent+0xb2d
    0x78004d88 RPCRT4!NDRSContextMarshall2+0x222
    0x78004cc2 RPCRT4!NDRSContextMarshall2+0x15c
    0x78001a74 RPCRT4!<no symbol>
    0xffffffff <no module>!<no symbol>

The last comment is just thrown in because I don't know what it means, and I can always hope someone else does. (it came from spybots internals tool - use with caution!)

--- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4 (build: 20050523) ---

Category: Wrong app path
    Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\cmmgr32.exe
    Filename: cmmgr32.exe
    Data:

I realize that this analysis of a fairly benign condition is starting to get out of control. I have no idea why I am doing it except...Nicks comment about perserverence has perhaps put my self-image in limbo.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.