Problem - Scan Hanging

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Ensign Garak, Dec 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ensign Garak

Ensign Garak Registered Member

Hello. I am having a problem with the Trial version of NOD32, and I was hoping that someone might be able to help me out.

I downloaded the Trial version today, in order to evaluate it as my subscription to Norton is expiring. Had no problems downloading, installing and configuring (based upon Blackspear's excellent settings summary).

I have an HP Media Center computer (HP M1072n), with a bay for an optional, removable HP Personal Media Drive. I have one of those removable drives, but I normally don't operate my computer with that drive loaded in the bay, as I have it for "overflow" storage for various media that I access infrequently.

In any event, I have a directory on my C: drive named, "C:\HP M1072n\HP Personal Media Drive\". When I try to have the NOD32 on-demand scanner perform a scan, it repeatedly hangs in this directory, on two files named, "part000.txt" and "part000.htm". When the scanner hits those files, it appears to begin scanning them over and over again, starting fro 0% and sometimes going up to 160% (that's not a typo). However, when I navigate to that directory, I don't even find those files listed! Further, I don't see where I am able to exclude those specific files in the NOD32 setup. Regardless, I am unable to complete an on-demand scan as a result of this problem.

Any assistance that anyone could provide in this matter would be most appreciated.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hi,
    the files "part000.txt" and "part000.htm" refer to an email which is most likely part of a mail store. Try disabling email files in the NOD32 scanner setup to see if it makes a difference.

3. Ensign Garak

Thank you, Marcos - I'll try that. I tried to run a scan of all my C: directories other than the one listed above, and I'm still running into the same "hang" on "part000.txt" and "part000.htm". Apparently, the directory that is displayed on the "Scanning Log" page doesn't necessarily reflect the directory that NOD32 is currently working on...

EDIT: I checked my setup, and "Email files" was already unchecked (the only unchecked option in the "Scan" section of the "Setup" tab).

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What about archives? Also you could enable the "List all files" option to see what files are being scanned.

5. Ensign Garak

Thanks again - I'll give that a try. I'm just a bit perplexed about the whole thing, because I can run a file search on "My Computer", and I can't even find any files named "part000.txt" and "part000.htm" on my machine. I just don't know how NOD32 is finding them.

I'm running a scan now to "List all files". Hopefully, as you suspect, this is just part of an archive...

6. Ensign Garak

Well, it turns out that this isn't really a "hanging" problem after all. By displaying all files, I see that multiple occurrences of "part000.txt" (in particular) are slowing things down in my Eudora mail client mailboxes. I guess it just looked like it was hanging by viewing only the status area at the base of the "Scanning Log" screen.

Now that I know this, is there some way for me to address this? Not only does NOD32 crawl when scanning these files, but the multiple, embedded recurrences of "part000.txt" make the problem even worse. If you have any suggestions for me, Marcos, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

7. Ensign Garak

Just to close the loop on this thread - As I mentioned above, the scan I was performing actually wasn't hanging, but it was just taking a long time to crank through all the "part000.txt" and "part000.htm" files that were part of my Eudora mailboxes, as well as the backups of those mailboxes I have in .ZIP archives. Five hours later, my initial scan completed.

By the way, my first in-depth scan revealed three occurrences of the NoClose.Q trojan within my Eudora mailboxes, something which my Norton antivirus software didn't pick up in the last two years of having subscribed to their service.

Thanks for your pointers, Marcos -- And, thanks to Nigel at Eset Tech Support for providing me with some guidance, too. Nice to know that a company is willing to assist a customer, even when that customer has only installed a "Trial" version of their company's software thus far...

8. John2222

John2222 Registered Member

9. rorschach

rorschach Guest

I got the same problem with my Opera mailboxes. Problem is, the "hanging" occurs even when i deselect the scanning of email files. The scan takes forever and sometimes the scanner crashes. The only solution i have found so far is to exclude the mbs extension from scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.