problem running PG on both useraccounts

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by ronny, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

If PG v 2.000 is running (hm, running, still having this problem too: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25877 ) on one user account (XP Home) and i open another account simultaneously (both administrator rights), i get the following message:

"Error: Please make sure Process Guard is installed correctly before continuing."

So it seems i always have to close one account before going to the other, what i don't like at all, so timeconsuming :(...

Do other ppl have the same problem?

BTW: when i had PG v1.3 i never had this issue

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You can't run multiple versions of procguard.exe on the same system, and never will be. Simply shutdown procguard.exe in the other user account if you want to use it in another.

BTW there are certain "issues" with fast user switching that most likely will never be resolved. Any process run in any session other than 0 (the first account logged in) will be allowed to run by the execution protection unless it was specifally blocked always or "block all new and changed files from running" option is enabled.

Basically, you will not get a confirmation in any other account than the first one you logged into.

-Jason-

3. linney

linney Registered Member

I run XP Pro, but don't often use Fast User Switching, so my comments apply to logging an Administrator User off and the Logging a Limited User On.

Process Guard will not load under the above circumstances for the Limited User. Even if you reboot and start as a Limited User it would not run. On both occasions you are presented with the message "Error: Please make sure Process Guard is installed correctly before continuing."

In previous versions of PG similar problems could be bypassed by granting the Limited User "write" permissions to "Pguard.dat." I have done so this time (and also PgHash.dat) without success. I even gave the Limited User full control in a last desperate effort to overcome this problem.

DCSuserProt.exe was loaded and running however. But there was no access to the Process Guard window or an Icon in the System Tray. Again I stress this was after logging off and logging on or just plain old booting into the Limited User account.

Although Process Guard would not run for the Limited User under normal circumstances, I am able to open it in a Limited User account by using the RunAs command and run it as an Administrator. It then performs correctly.

Alas it just doesn't seem to want to run as a Limited User.

4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I will.
    Thank you very much for your (very quick) answer (again)! :-*
    If i understand this (i'm not the smartest one...), if PG is already running, it isn't necessary to run it again at the other user ,because it IS already protecting the system.Am i right?

Glad i bought your product. ;)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Ronny, Yes, providing you have enabled protection it will work in all user accounts with out the Process Guard user interface being open or running. Process Guard, once enabled, starts at a very low level in your system.

HTH Pilli - Enjoy your weekend :)

6. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I will :D and...thanks (glad to give you a karmacookie... mjam mjam), you too enjoy it.

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Munch, munch! :D

8. Jason_DiamondCS

Process Guard can no longer be configured or used from a limited user account.

Protection is still active across all accounts however.

-Jason-

9. linney

linney Registered Member

Thank you Jason for your reply.

As Process Guard is not configurable via a
    limited User account and therefore running as it should, it is a bit confusing that it produces the message "Error: Please make sure Process Guard is installed correctly before continuing."

It also is a bit strange that a security program's log and other information is withheld from a limited user. The whole purpose of being a limited user is for better security especially when surfing the net. I realize you can access a text copy of the log in the Program Files folder. This involves periodic manual checking rather than the automatic notification of any problems encountered.

What notification to a limited user is there if any problems that Process Guard is preventing happen?
    Is it a case of the machine just stopping or programs crashing?

This is not a criticism of your program (which I have enjoyed since its birth) but just a few questions as I improve my understanding and use of version 2.

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Applications which are BLOCKED will just not run, applications which are allowed will work as normal. :)

Limited User accounts don't have certain access anyhow so they won't complain when they don't get it from Process Guard. Process Guard is for use by administrators, allowing limited users to change or view any settings is a vulnerability.

-Jason-

11. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Jason

Brilliant.

Wish it could also stop other user from using another Partition so they could not view files there.

This is because I do not store any files or folders on C:\ , in case of some thing going wrong with OS, and I can easily overwrite C:\ . then put the OS Image back.

Is it possible to block a Partition with PG.

Thanks in Advance
    TheQuest :cool:

Edit:- Be back later must get to BED been up 38 Hours.

12. linney

linney Registered Member

Thanks again Jason, but because of the restrictions placed on limited users by Process Guard, there is no logging of anything in Process Guard, while the limited user is logged on. So this is not very helpful to the Administrator either. Even the text file in the Program folder records nothing during limited user use.

And yet PG will offer the limited user the screen to Allow a first time program to run or to Block a program from running. To quote yourself "allowing limited users to change or view any settings is a vulnerability" This also blocks the Administrator from using the program too, until the blocking is removed.

Another thing I am seeing is the lockout from the computer by DiamondCS Secure Desktop v 1.0 "This file is trying to run window". However on this window there is no Allow etc to click on as all 4 buttons are blank and unclickerable.
    The only exit from this situation is a reboot and to suffer the consequences if anything else was running at the time.
    I have seen this about 3 or 4 times since installing PG, I think mainly as a limited user (not too sure I am still monitoring it).

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I've had this happen to me from an admin level account. There are no limited accounts on my PC.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.