Problem restoring/viewing Image of partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tazenman, Dec 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tazenman

tazenman Registered Member

I have a Dell laptop with a HD going bad. I bought TI-9 to back up so I could replace the HD and restore to my original state. I made 2 backups with bootable CD, replaced the HD and now neither of my backups would not restore. I ave since restored my system from other backups, it was a long and hard road, but I am about 95% back. Now I am trying to view my backup CDs to see if there is any data that I may have missed but I can not view that either. Can someone please tell me what I have done wrong.

The back up process I performed was for a partition and it covers 14 CDs. The OS that I had installed on the old drive was W2K and I now have WinXP on new HD. All hardware is identical from old to new.

The view process I perform is; start Acronis, click on Plug Image, Click next on the wizard screen, place the last cd of the backup in the drive and select the file, it displays the backup info (dirve backedup and size), click next, Accept default on logical drive screen click next, and click proceed on the final screen. An error pops up with the following message: Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the backup archive.

Thanks for any help.

2. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

You can't plug and then explore an image if the entire image is not in the same folder. As your image is spread over multiple CDs, that is the cause of the problem. What you will need to do is to copy all 14 of the CDs (using normal Windows copy) into a folder on your hard drive and then you should be able to plug and explore the image.

Your original problem was probably caused by the fact that you had taken only a partition image instead of a full disk image. I would expect it to restore but not boot because the MBR would not have been included in the image. Is that what happened or did it simply not restore at all?:cool:

3. tazenman

tazenman Registered Member

Thanks for the response, sorry for the delay!

No it would not restore at all. It would give me an error and I messed up by not writing it down.:mad:

Could you please give me some pointers so I can make a good disaster recovery system? I have messed up by not verifying the last backup and I lost a lot of source code that I have been busy re-creating.

Thanks for your help and thanks for this forum!

Tazenman

4. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

Hi tazenman,

There are many different backup strategies which work, but if you read This article and follow a few guidelines, you will be able to come up with something which suits your needs.

1. Set up at least 2 rotating backup schedules (full only, or full + incrementals/differentials) e.g. Full backup (backup1.tib) scheduled weekly starting in week 1. Full backup scheduled weekly starting in week 2 (backup2.tib). To these, you can add incrementals or differentials or do them at something other than weekly intervals.

2. Always verify images immediately.

3. Purchase at least one external USB2.0 HDD. They are cheap and far faster and more reliable than burning everything to DVD. You can also make unattended backups as you don't need to be there to insert new media.

4. Periodically, backup to another external HDD or DVD which can be stored away from where your computer lives. You should not need to do this more often than monthly, but that is up to you.

5. Remember that the MBR is only included in full disk images i.e. you must check the box beside your system disk name, not just its partitions.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.