Problem restoring emails RollBack Rx

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by pratzert, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I am using Rollback Rx and did a SnapShot Roll back last evening ( Nov.4th ) to October 24th.

That went well.

But I wanted to restore any emails I had received/sent since Oct.24th to Nov.1st.

I selected the snapshot from Nov.1st.... searched for the Outlook express folder and it coul dnot find it after searching for an hour.

So I opened the Nov.1st snapshot as a Virtual drive and searched for the Outlook Exoress folder. I knew it was under %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Identity-GUID}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\

I located the folder and files and selected them to be "Restored". But after opening up my emails, I learned all I had were emails up to and included Oct.24th.

I tried it several times.. restoring the files and also tried to entire Outlook Express Folder.

Why can't I get the emails to restore? What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

I often recover Outlook's email by using RB's Recover Files ...by type (.pst for Outlook) and it always works perfectly. I haven't used Outlook Express for some time, but I seem to recall that it's related files are .dbx, .mbx, and .wab.

So try recovery those files from your Nov 1 snapshot using the method I suggested above and I think you will be ok.

3. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I am not expert enough with Rollback to solve your problem, but i have another advice:

If you have a second hard disk, change OE's store folder to a folder in your 2nd hard disk. This is what i do. I have my mails folder stored in D:. So your mails are never affected by rollbacks, they are always in the other hard disk untouched.

4. Aaron Here

While that's a good idea, it doesn't address the current problem.

5. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Very true, i myself admitted that i can't help him on solving this one.

I just threw the idea, so , in case he has a 2nd hard disk, in the future he won't have the need to restore mails or worry about Rollback errors. That's all.

6. Aaron Here

I would agree that its a good idea to keep all data, docs, etc. on another drive - or on another partition of the C-drive. I always re-partition my C-drive so that my C-partition is just large enough for Windows and my applications. I then create a D-partition to hold all of my data, docs, music, and photos.

A huge advantage of doing this for RB users is that with a small C-partition performing a sector-by-sector image backup (which maintains the integrity of the RB environment) is accomplished quickly and doesn't use too much space on the backup drive! :thumb:

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

How about restoring the the Nov state (if you still have it) and then saving (backing up to a thumb drive for example) the e-mails. Then, once this is done, you can revert back to the Oct state and then import the backed up docs.

8. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I think that is what I am going to do.

I have used a free email backup before called Genie-Soft for Outlook Express and it works pretty well.

Thanks to all for the help.

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Your most welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.