Problem restoring a single file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Barb Nash, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb Nash

Barb Nash Registered Member

I am a brand new user.

1. I created a full image backup using the defaults. True Image created five files on my external hard drive. I did not expect this. But, I guess it is splitting the backup image?

2. I then made changes to one file, and created a differential backup.

3. I wanted to run a test to see if I could restore a single file, so I went into Recovery and asked True Image to restore the changed file to my desktop (not the original location).

4. The single file was quickly written to the desktop, but the True Image task ran over night and never finished.

5. In the morning I closed the True Image task window (while the task was still running . . . I know, I know, but I had to get rid of it.)

6. I rebooted my machine, but the restored file on my desktop is locked, and I cannot open or delete it. Actually, even worse, the bacup archive image on the external drive is also locked.

How do you restore individual files? Does anyone know how to clear the locked file? Could I have stopped the True Image restore in a way that would not have locked the file?

Thank you.

Barb

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Barb,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

If the problem still persists, please do the following:

- Download schedmgr.exe application;
    - Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
    - Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

shedmgr set logflags support

-Reproduce the problem;
    - Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

3. emilano

emilano Registered Member

I am a new user.

I have tried restoring single files/single folders from each of two different hard drives/devices (Maxitor and Sanidisk - external hard drives). I am using build #2337. Program was downloaded today, but I cannot restore the files from either.

I am having trouble restoring files from a backup (single and multiple files). I can restore from a Sanidisk only if I restore to a "new location" but not to the original location - C: Drive.

I have also tried restoring single files from a Maxitor hard drive. The backup was checked and the file was not corrupt. When I tried to restore a single file from the back-up on the Maxitor hard drive to the C: drive I got an error message: "Error - Failed to Restore. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

I do not see that any other processes are running.
    Ellen

4. Acronis Support

Hello Ellen,

Please be aware that it's imposible to restore the system file to the same location when you run Acronis True Image 9.0 in Windows. However, you can always restore it to a new location.
    You can also boot your computer from the bootable rescue media and restore the system file in the rescue mode.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

What do you mean by "the system file"??

6. emilano

emilano Registered Member

Thank-you Tatyana for your response.

Just to be clear. I am not trying to restore a "system file", I am trying to restore a simple word doc file (data file) from a backup file created of MY DOCUMENTS subdirectory.

I am trying to restore the file from either Maxtor OneTouch II or Sanidisk (neither works) to restore to the original location (only works to a new location).

I have reviewed the User's Guide. Please see page 35 - Item 7 "YOU can restore data to the original location or choose another folder". Thus I am trying to restore a data file and not a system file and the manual does not indicate that this function cannot be done from within Windows.

I have used many backup programs in the past and have just purchased (full price "Acronis True Image 9"). I bought the program to create disk images (for full restore) and also to make backup copies of my data files. I want to check that the functions will work in an emergency. I want to restore a test data file and also find a way to check the restore of full backup image file without messing up my system.

Can you clarify - are you saying that you cannot restore individual data files to their original location from within Windows program. That does not correlate with the advertising or the manual for this program.

Please provide detailed instructions herein for restoring a data file to its original location. The manual indicates that this can be done.

Thanks for your help.
    Ellen

7. Acronis Support

Hello MKairys,

I mean those files which are used by Windows operating system to work properly.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

8. Acronis Support

Hello Ellen,

If Windows operating system does not use the file which you want to restore, you can restore it to the original location.

Could you please make screen shots all of your steps during the file restoration along with the error message?

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

9. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Your best bet if you can do it this way is to mount a saved image and then copy the desired files from the plugged image to a harddisk.

I haven't found the restore selected files, as opposed to a whole image, to actually work.

I'm not saying it doesn't work on some machines but the the plug and copy method is more likely to be successfule, ime.

What I've seen and heard other reprots is that trying to restore selected files can leave some apparently restored files inaccessible for read/writes even though present in the file directory listing -- which also means it can be difficult to delete these limbo-land files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.