Problem installing Norton Internet Security 2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by infini, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infini

infini Registered Member

I am trying to install norton internet security 2006 and i get the message "fatal error". The only other symantec product i have is installed is norton systemworks 2006. Has anyone experienced the same problem?

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Is there any more details from the error message? Anything in your event logs?

Regards,

CrazyM

3. infini

infini Registered Member

No, just when the program is bein ginstalled and the blue progress bar appears, i get this message

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Doesn't System Works contain some of the same elements as NIS such as the Antivirus? Maybe the error is because the NIS is encountering a element it has that is already installed in System works. Really you need Big C or Randy Bell for this.

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I suspect you are getting into trouble because SystemWorks 2006 also has NAV 2006 in it. NIS 2006 may not like it if it finds another version of NAV 2006 running.

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

7. infini

infini Registered Member

Thanks for the link

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've been having a hell of a time with NAV 2006 also. I had it installed and all was fine. I uninstalled if for a reason I can't remember at the moment. When I tried to reinstall it, I kept getting error messages in the middle of the installation, corrupt files, something about .dll and debugger. After several tries, I decided to run RegSeeker and RegCleaner to make sure there was no junk left over, and tried again. This time the install went through, but I kept getting error messages concerning LiveUpdate. I finally had enough and uninstalled it. I'm running NOD32 for now. Maybe I'll try installing NAV again in a few days. I've never had any type of problems with a NAV installation before. It always went smooth for me. I don't know what that heck happened this time around.

I hope I didn't hijack this thread. Apologies to all if I did.

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

Isn't there soome Symantec uninstaller utilities you can download to remove previous install remnants. Sorry I don't have a link but go to their site and look for it.

10. Graystoke

I'm not sure if there is an uninstall utility for NAV 2006. There wasn't anything at the Symantec site that I could find. Besides, after running the two registry cleaners, I did a manual search of the registry, and didn't find NAV leftovers.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you download the latest version of symNRT, it will include 2006 removal, there is also more tools for a uninstal old versionl/reinstall new version of Norton.:)

12. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Also, you may need to install the latest version of LiveUpdate which is a complete rework of the old LiveUpdate. The latest version of LiveUpdate is Version 3.0.0.134 and can be downloaded from here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...4ca98e&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=&seg=ag

This was issued after NIS 2006 came out and does not seem to update itself when you run a LiveUpdate. At least it has never done so on my XP-SP2 system.

13. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

LiveUpdate is a POS. I believe NAV is the only AV product requiring LiveUpdate for the AV to be effective. This AV solution is stuck in the STONE AGE.

Many of Symantec's suites are centered around NAV. The uninformed custormers are paying twice for the same AV solution. Only SYMC can get away with this crap because they spend so much $ in advertising. The sad part is that the POS will not install if there's another version of NAV in the PC. And it's still a royal pain to remove NAV. Removing NAV does not remove LiveUpdate and LiveReg.

Why would anyone need a special uninstall program to remove a software? Could it be that the software is designed that way to hook the illiterate PC users?

14. Atomic_Ed

I think your comments in reference to Symantec being a POS are unwarranted. Norton 2006 is certainly not a POS or from the stoneage as you mentioned. It is a decent implementation for them and has much improved over the past few years of poor performing previous releases. The live update can be a pain if it has a problem but when it is working properly it works very good. Alot better than Mcafee's update maze of multiple IE windows and activex plugins. Half the time Mcafee would lock up the update window and have to restart clear IE cache and try again. Not to mention the security concerns using activex for updates. Anyway, Symantec products for quite awhile were tougher than most to uninstall and clean up from. I believe this is because of how tightly it integrates into the OS. Of course I can rattle off many various windows programs that are the same way, with most leaving traces in the registry and folders around the HD after removal. This is a common windows application thing and not just symantec. Besides the fact they offer a removal utlitity which is actually not such an uncommon thing from alot of other software out there, is a plus. While I know that many have had issues in trying to remove NAV from their systems, I have always uninstalled it through the control panel for each componenet like LU, NAV, Etc and then removed all remaining folders including the shared common files folder which is where alot of people having trouble usually miss and of course clean the registry. Doing that I have never had an issue removing NAV from my system. It is a bit of work to do thoroughly but not impossible or that different from other vendors products I have used before. Anyway if you just don't care for Symantec then thats fine as it is your choice. I am not their hard core supporter either but a good product is a good product even if I do not like the vendor itself. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either NAV 2005 or 2006 to someone as I have run both of these now and I am impressed with their performance. If you haven't tried NAV in the past few releases then I would recommend that you do before calling it a POS as it is very much improved over what you may remember of previous versions.

15. Graystoke

Thanks Don. :)

16. Graystoke

Thanks for the info siliconman01. :)

17. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

"The live update can be a pain if it has a problem".

Why not ELIMINATE LiveUpdate to fix this ONGOING issue? LiveUpdate has been around for at least six years, and it has always been a big problem for NAV. A software deserves the STONEAGE title if it continue to inherit the same buggy subroutine!

Don't sell me the BS about how tightly the AV must be integrated into Windows to work properly. Good software that are properly coded are effectively removed via Windows XP add/remove screen. Don't spread garbage info if you lack basic knowledge of software engineering. The majority of QUALITY free software can be extracted into a folder and run AS IS, without elaborate hooking techniques. Simply delete that folder if you want to uninstall the application. The use of a registry cleaner would be beneficial to reduce the size of the registry, but not mandatory to preserve the performance of windows!

We are talking about the average user with NAV already present in their new PCs. They are NOT aware that they must remove LiveUpdate, LiveReg, remaining folders, shared common files, NAV removal tool, and tweak the registry to get rid of NAV! This is a product designed for the average consumer, not techno geek with excellent command of windows.

You can ask 100 people with at least a graduate degree, and I assure you that most of them will NOT be able to properly remove NAV. So what's wrong with this picture?

I do not have a problem with NAV when it comes to detecting bugs. NAV is effective, when it AIN'T BROKEN. However, it is very rare to find NAV in a high-performance custom-built rig. People who are looking to get the MOST performance out of their rigs rarely use NAV because it is not efficiently coded.

Speed will always be an issue with NAV without a major software overhaul. The easiest way to see this hit is to compare it with other AV solutions on a 500MHz PC with an as loaded copy of WXP. You are probably not going to see the shortcoming of NAV if you have a modern system with a bunch of open processes running in the background.

18. Atomic_Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.