problem exploring a TI Image on a different computer

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by reedr99, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedr99

reedr99 Registered Member

Greetings -

I've written partition images to an external hard drive (from XP Pro, USB 1.1 to the external drive), plugged the external drive into a new pc (USB 2, XP Home edition), and TI on the new pc claims the image is not an Acronis True Image archive. I had hoped to be able to explore, not restore, the image and extract some files. I suppose this is working as designed, but I'd like to know if this can't be done so I can stop digging around the faq's, manuals, etc looking for the answer.
    Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue.

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I would go back to the old PC and test the image file there.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I've done this many times expressly for the case you describe. I make the image on a system with only USB 1.1, but I check the image on another machine with USB 2.0 to save time. In my case, it works and all the images have been good.

There are various reasons why it might not work, but the first thing to check is whether the image verifies on the original (USB 1.1) machine as MiniMax said. Once you tell us the result of that check, we'll go from there.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello reedr99,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Do you try you to explore image on the external drive plugs into the first computer? Please let us know the result. Also please do the following in order to check the image integrity:

- Download the checksum utility from http://www.irnis.net/files/xcsci.exe
    - Install and run the application and click on the ellipsis sign to browse and select the image file on the first computer ;
    - Click the "Run" button in the application and save the MD5 checksum;
    - Get the MD5 checksum for the same part of the image on external drive plugged into a new computer and compare the figures obtained.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. reedr99

reedr99 Registered Member

Thanks for looking into this for me. The images did verify OK on the old (USB1.1) PC. I found that I had installed an old version of TI on the new pc. After finding the correct install, all is well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.