problem downloading

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by barbar, Jan 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barbar

barbar Guest

When I try to download the new 3.5.1 software, I get a warning that 'Spybot - trying to download Avenue A, Inc (or sometimes is cites MeidaPlay); this is a known threat - do you want to block this??

Is this a function of the download, or a true threat that I should block.

How can I get the 3.5.1 software loaded, given this problem??

Many thanks.

2. Peeved McAfee User

Peeved McAfee User Registered Member

Can you be a little more explicit?
    1. Are you saying that when you download the spywareblastersetup351.exe installation program that you are getting these messages?
      • If so what site did you attempt to download from the spywareblastersetup351.exe installation program from?
      • Were the messages received when you first visited the site or were they received during the download or after the download?
    2. If you received the messages after the download, at what point did you receive the Spybot message:
      • When you were installing SpywareBlaster 3.5.1?
      • Attempting to "Download Latest Protection Updates" after the installation?
      • When you were attempting to "Enable all protection" after the installation?
      • Etc?
    The messages that you receive from Spybot are normally associated with Spybot’s attempts to block the storing of third party cookies (tracking cookies) on your system and are issued from Spybot’s IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO). They are not normally received as a function of the download process nor the installation of a program. They are usually associated with visiting a site that employs (uses and gets paid by) third party vendors for advertising on their site.

In Spybot you can set Spybot’s IE Resident Browser Helper Object (BHO) so that third party cookies are blocked without notification or decisions as follows:
    Go into Spybot-S&D > Immunize. Look in the last section labeled "Permanently running bad download blocker for Internet Explorer". In the pull-down below "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses in Internet Explorer" there are three options:
    • Block all pages silently
    • Display dialog when blocking
    • Ask for blocking confirmation
    Select "Block all pages silently".

You can also block the storing of all third party cookies in Internet explorer as follows:
    Go into Internet Explorer then open "Internet Options..." from the "Tools" menu. Choose the "Privacy" tab, and raise the Settings to at least Medium; or use the "Advanced..." button to enabled "Override automatic cookie handling" and set "Third-party Cookies" to "Block".

3. barbar

barbar Guest

thanks for your help - I did successfully download (finally). But, thanks for the suggestion about blocking the spybot message - I'm going to set that up. Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.