Problem Creating Image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tkr96, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkr96

tkr96 Registered Member

I know this is problem something I am overlooking but does anyone know of any applications that might interfere with the image creation of an entire harddrive to an external drive. I receive an error that the image cannot be created because of bad sector on the drive or files in use. I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar problem and found a solution. I know ATI 8.0 will make an image while the system is up and running so I think the issue may be a piece of software running in the background which I have gone through and turned off as much as possible. The system is a Dell 8000 laptop running W2K. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I know the info provided is slim but unfortunately I don't have the system with me to give you exactly what is running on the system but I figured I would go ahead and drop a post in case anyone had ever come across a similar issue. Thanks.

2. hgratt

hgratt Registered Member

FWIW, I had a similar error a while ago when trying to image (TI 7) on an I7500 with win98se. The bad sector read always happened at the same point. In the end, the problem WAS some bad sectors on my HDD. I was able to run scandisk from DOS and fix the problem.

So you want to at least try to check your HDD via scandisk. This will eliminate one possible cause of the problem.

Harvey

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Have you run Error Checking (or from the RUN prompt: CHKDSK C: /R) to correct any bad sectors? Seems like that would be the first thing to do.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tkr96,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Also please let us know whether you have any software that works with disks permanently (such as some defragmenting software) running. If so please try to create the image once again with this software stopped temporary. Also please try to create the image after booting from Acronis Bootable CD and see whether the problem persists. If it does please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I am having the same problem. I get the following error when running True Image v800 from Windows XP Pro:

"E00070021: Cannot create the image of the logical drive C: because it is currently is use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors."

I have run chkdsk c: /f and chkdsk c: /r from the Recovery Console, but I still get the same error when running TI from Windows. I am using the same programs that previously worked from Windows. True Image will create an image if I use the Acronis boot CD and Acronis verifies the image as okay.

My question is: Will this image restore correctly if I have to do a barebones restore? I am backing up to an external USB 2.0 Seagate 400 Gb Seagate drive that has worked fine in the past from Windows.

6. silver0066

I forgot to mention I am using NTFS.

7. Acronis Support

Hello silver0066,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

If you have created and then verified the image successfully you will certainly be able to restore the image and boot the drive (if you have created and restored the image of the whole disk). The error you got is likely to be resulted from the fact that some application holds the drive (or partition) and doesn't let Acronis True Image get exclusive access to it. Another reason may be some bad sectors. Please send Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the details) to support@acronis.com and this will allow us to tell you the exact reason.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. silver0066

Ilya:

No bad sectors. As I stated, I ran chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console. I do however get the following message when running just plain chkdsk from Windows: [See Attachment]

I did try to fix the MBR from the ISO image referred to in your link. It contains a Zip file. Your techs MUST know you can't boot from a Zip file!!

Attached Files:

9. silver0066

Please excuse me, Ilya

I looked at the files on the CD and it only contained a zip so I wrote the above reply in haste. I forgot I left the CD in the drive and lo and behold, it booted. Amazing! Anyway, I apologize for my remark.

Anyway, have you seen this type of chkdsk error in the past? Will the fix MBR program erase my hard drive? What are the risks?

Many thanks

Silver

10. allgo

allgo Registered Member

I had the same problem with error msg E00070021 over and over again, even when I tried creating an image on an external hard drive.
    The good news is that when I boot from the Acronis CD I am able to create an image without any problem, but hardly a satisfactory state of affairs, since the whole point of Acronis is supposedly to create an image 'on the fly'.
    Intrigued...

11. Acronis Support

12. Payner44

Payner44 Guest

I'm suffering from the same ailment, which only now surfaced, because I've made images many times (most recently in March 2005) without issue. I tried to run a scandisk to fix the supposed bad sectors and got the a message about a the volume being in use by another process, so it couldn't run a fix.

What gives?

13. Acronis Support

Hello Payner44,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build, we also strongly recommend you to update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 826 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

If the problem persists please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the detailed information of your problem. We will investigate the problem and help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.