Problem creaating an incremental backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brachd, Oct 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brachd

brachd Registered Member

I am a new user of TI and have created my initial backups of my system partition and my own data partition.
    I found it very easy to do.
    To day I used the incremrntal backup but could not find the backup file. I assume it is a seperate file to the origional full backup.
    What am I doing wrong
    Blair o_O
    :)
    I have now worked out what is happening.
    I have successfully created an incremental backup but I expected it as a seperate file.
    When I did a search I find that my origional full backup was in two files ( convenience in creating CD) and was !.014GB and the Incremental backup has now 3 files !.094GB
    This means that my incremental backup added .08GB
    This Incremental backup is not in the folder I created for MY own data and that was my fault when I chose the location.
    Question;
    Can I delete the origional backup?
    Will the next Incremental backup again be the full backup plus incremental backups so that restore need only use the latest incremental backup?
    Can I safely copy and paste this latest Backup to its correct folder now?
    I am asking these questions to make sure I understand the process fully
    Blair

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello branchd,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Incremental backup is based on the first full backup and on all previously made incremental backups. It contains only changes in drive image that have been made since the last incremental backup (or since the full backup if there is no one incremental yet). You can safely delete the latest incremental backup but you cannot delete the middle one or the oldest one. So if you delete the original backup then all the incrementals become useless.

However, it seems like you have created full backups both times. The thing is that Acronis True Image automatically creates full backup instead of an incremental one if it doesn't find the full backup to append changes incrementally in the specified folder.

We recommend you to delete the first full backup and then create incremental images appending changes incrementally to the second one.

Please also note that an incremental backup should be much smaller than the full one.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

3. brachd

brachd Registered Member

Thanks for your clear explanation.
    I can now see that because I did not put the Incremental Backup in the same folder it created a full backup as well. That explains the large size!
    I will delete the first full backup but you didn't answer my question "Can I copy and paste the files to the empty folder ?"
    Blair

4. Acronis Support

Hello again Blair,

Yes, you can copy and paste image archive files into the empty folder. The only limitation is that you should keep all the archive volumes in the same folder.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

5. brachd

brachd Registered Member

"Incremental backup is based on the first full backup and on all previously made incremental backups. It contains only changes in drive image that have been made since the last incremental backup (or since the full backup if there is no one incremental yet). You can safely delete the latest incremental backup but you cannot delete the middle one or the oldest one. So if you delete the original backup then all the incrementals become useless."

You have been very helpful and I hope you can forgive me for asking silly questions but I want to get it clear.
    Are you saying that if I had the origional BU plus 4 Incremental BUs I could delete the 4th Incremental BU but not the origional or the 3 previous Incremental BUs?
    I was very careful this time and backed up to the correct folder but the folder seems to contain the origional files as well as repeats.

For example i backed up my own data to two files 041 650MB and 042 388MB
    My incremental BU added 043 650MB and 044 87.3MB
    The reduction was because I had deleted files.
    So it looks as if the 043 is a copy of 041 again?
    Hope I make sense
    Blair

6. Acronis Support

Hello Blair,

"For example i backed up my own data to two files 041 650MB and 042 388MB
    My incremental BU added 043 650MB and 044 87.3MB"

Sorry to say, but I can't understand what you mean... Can you please describe more exactly what you have done?

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.