Problem accessing web sites with XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hucklebey, Jan 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hucklebey

Hucklebey Registered Member

I have XP Home Edition and a dial-up modem.
    After computer has been on for quite a while, I can connect with my ISP, but I can't access web sites. I get a "network problem" message. If I reboot, the problem is solved, temporarily. I leave the computer on all day and turn it off at night. I always have to reboot at least once a day, sometimes more often to correct this.

Any suggestions for what I can do to solve this problem would be appreciated because I don't even have a clue where to look to find out what is causing this.

Don't have this problem with my Win98 computer, so it appears to be an XP "thing".

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Hucklebey,

Welcome to Wilders!

Can you please follow the steps in this thread

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

and post your hijackthis log in that forum for someone to review. This might well reveal and address the issue you are having. If not we can continue on here afterward.

Thanks,

Dan

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had the same type of problem when I had dialup. I finally called my ISP's support and I could have kicked my own butt for putting up with the problem for so long. All They had me do was put a special setting in the modem and I never had the problem again. What they said was happening was that the modem was loosing a dsn setting and the special setting just locked it in. It was only happening to xp machines

4. Hucklebey

Dan-This is the first time I have ever posted at Wilder's so I appreciate the welcome. I've been a lurker for years and think this forum is the best-good info-polite, friendly, helpful people.
    I run Spybot S&D and Adaware all of the time and nothing has ever come up. Do you think it would still be helpful to post a hijackthis log? If you do, I will post one.
    BigC...talk about kicking own butt for waiting so long. I've had this problem since I bought my new computer-over a year ago. I'm either too patient or too slow :D I am going to contact my ISP in the morning. That sounds like it might be the problem.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hey Hucklebey,

I was unaware of the issue that Bigc described and since you have been impacted with the issue since you got the system that is by far a more likely cause of the symptoms you are encountering. That being said, if you wish to cover all bases can still post a hijackthis log. I have frequently seen things shown there that Spybot or AdAware did not catch or deal with effectively.

Its great you've ended your career as a lurker :D and are actively posting! Its great to have new ideas and input over here.

Regards,

Dan

6. bigc73542

Huclklebey it is a pleasure to help another computer,user, don't hesitate to ask anytime you may have a problem, or if you have some good info please post it we always are eager to learn something new. Now doesn't it feel better to come out of the closet and not be a lurker anymore :D

7. bigc73542

and Dan the issue at question is xp specific and then only with some ISP's I don't imagine to many people have run across it. Another symptom Is that on some machines your internet connection will disconnect after about ten minutes.

8. Hucklebey

Ideas??!! I have to come up with ideas? Oh No! I think I'll go back to lurking :D

I'd give both of you Karma cookies, but I don't have 50 posts, yet.

9. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Done that for you.

Pieter

10. Hucklebey

Very good. Thanks.:D

11. Hucklebey

I wanted to tell you what solved my problem just in case someone else has a similar problem, even though it doesn't seem to be very common. I'd like to give something back since everyone has been so helpful to me.

bigC you were on the money. XP has DNS caching, Windows 98 doesn't. The DNS caching was causing the problem, so I disabled it. For the first time in over a year I didn't have to reboot my computer. This site tells you how to disable unnecessary XP services (and much, much more) www.blackviper.com.

I was so frustrated by the problem because I couldn't solve it that I even stopped using my new computer for a long time and had convinced myself that I hated XP.

Now I'm a happy computer user again, at least for the next five minutes until the next thing goes "kapoot"! :D

12. bigc73542

I am really glad that you got it fixed, now don't hesitate to jump in again if you have a problem or the cure for someone elses problem :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.