probably unknown TSR.BOOT virus unable to clean: false positive?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by smurkenstein, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smurkenstein

smurkenstein Registered Member

Hi All

I'm seeing this old log entry. I hadn't noticed it previously.

27/02/2012 11:29:29 Startup scanner boot sector active boot sector of the 0. physical disk probably unknown TSR.BOOT virus unable to clean

Now I have run many scans since february, and never has this popped up since.

I googled around and it seems quite a few user have seen this on the 27th Feb.

My question, is this a genuine threat, or is it a false positive? Obviously I value my security, so if is something real is a real therat, I will have to take actions to remedy.

Nod32 is updated every day and is fully current.

Thanks.

2. Janus

Janus Registered Member

Hello smurkenstein
    There has been many threads about the notorious TSR.BOOT virus . Some saying it were a false positive other threads indicating an uncertainty. I really think you should contact your local support in France. I have found the Link to your support if needed : Demandes de support

Links to the threads: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=323269&highlight=TSR.BOOT
    ............................ https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=322146&highlight=TSR.BOOT

Meilleures salutations

3. smurkenstein

Thanks Janus
    I am an english guy, and my french isn't too good.
    I did try a search on here. Will try again.

4. Janus

Janus Registered Member

:D OOH sorry didn't know. Okay then, here is a link to a "non French" customer care site, were you can submit a case if needed : http://www.eset.com/support/contact?ref=wsf&art=soln2372&seg=home Forgot to mention if you will use the link to submit a support case, then you cannot use IE9. The reasons is that the "Case Issue field " is greyed out and non functional in IE9. You can use any other browser. ( Eset know about the issue )

And have a good weekend.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Is there anything unusual about the system, e.g., multiboot system, disk encryption software installed and so forth?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. karlisi

karlisi Registered Member

7. smurkenstein

Yes. There are two boot sectors. One is from my old system which was vista. When I installed win 7 on top, I created a new partition and a separate boot sector. The old vista boot sector is suppressed on startup with win7's boot control option.

I also had acronis installed, but I removed that a while back.

Thanks.

8. smurkenstein

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.