Privazer picks up names of wiped files even after running Ccleaner, R-wipe, and Bleachbit

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by caspian, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Yep that pretty much nails it. Hidden windows NEVER has connected (even during the decoy build) and is "broken" to avoid it. My additions though are NO hidden OS in slot 2 and I purposely make slot/partition 2 MUCH smaller than the decoy OS so its impossible to have a hidden OS. Or is it? In fact why have only one hidden OS? LOL!

This takes lots of precise imaging (sectoring) and moving of large data space to exacting standards to pull off. I keep any hidden OS and the decoy OS the exact operating size to make the code work easier. However; the hidden OS could be 75 Gig in a 200 Gig partition, or 75 Gig in a 90 Gig partition. Varying the overall partition sizes allows for the concealment of a hidden OS via the outer volume structure. But most importantly slot 2 is tiny! Make sense?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, to the extent that I know that stuff ;)

3. caspian

caspian Registered Member

That is a lot to consider. I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. :thumb:

4. caspian

I've been thinking a lot about this. I bought a used laptop at a pawn shop last Summer and paid cash for it. Some guy installed a hacked version of windows 7 on it so I need to figure out how to get rid of it. But if I install Linux on that computer and then install virtualbox, then I really wouldn't have to make the host very interesting. In other words, I wouldn't have to know a lot about Linux to enjoy the VM. As I understand if I use Linux as the host then I would be safer and it would be a better option for privacy. So when I have some time I'm going to install Linux on this other computer and go from there. In the long run though my goal is to learn enough about Linux and software so that I can enjoy it the same way that I enjoy Windows 7 and then ditch Windows altogether..

5. mirimir

Right. It doesn't take much knowledge of Debian to use it as the host. VirtualBox in Debian works just like it does in Windows. And VMs are great for learning.

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

The first thing you'll notice when moving a VM from a Windows to a Linux host is how much faster they run. Windows has a lot of bloat that eats up memory and CPU cycles. Ideally you want the host to be as lean as possible so the computers resources go the VMs where all the action is.

Debian would be a good choice. I currently have setups with Ubuntu and Mint but I wasn't thinking about the ideal VM host when I set them up and I will set up something much more minimalist for the host in anything I do in the future. No need for Libre Office, Gimp or most of the apps that come with most distros, just the OS, drivers, firewall and other security software.

7. mirimir

Indeed :thumb:

And further, you don't really need a full GUI desktop on the host. VirtualBox is the only app that needs to display graphics. And there are hacks that provide graphics for individual apps. I don't recall specifics, but it's out there to find.

You can even run VirtualBox in headless mode on a stripped-down Debian server install, using VBoxManage. On any VirtualBox host, execute VBoxManage in a terminal, and it'll spit out command options and flags. In Linux, "VBoxManage | less" will let you scroll the output. You can access VM consoles using VirtualBox built-in VDRP server, using rdesktop on a machine with GUI desktop. That machine (or VM) can be on LAN, or far away. And you can tunnel VRDP via SSH, using VPNs, as a Tor onion service, or whatever. With optional TLS security. Latency and jitter are killers, however.

8. caspian

Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to give it a try in a couple of weeks.

9. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

The "host" could also then become a type 1 hypervisor, like Xen or ESXi.

I'm somewhat impatient to see how Wayland will benefit virtualisation and remoting - there's a lot of good things that might happen from that change from X (which, with due respect, is terrible!)

10. mirimir

Wayland without remote desktop would be pretty useless, in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.