PrivaZer Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by The_PrivaZer_Team, Feb 15, 2013.

1. tgraf66

tgraf66 Registered Member

Hi again. :) Question: Windows creates restore points whenever a Windows update is applied. When I run Privazer, it tells me that a restore point was created and exists (taking up space), but only at the end of the cleaning process. Since restore points contain shadow copies of the drive (a privacy issue), would it not make more sense for Privazer to detect them and delete or offer to delete them before the cleaning process begins so that the free space they used can be cleaned? As it stands, I have to delete the restore point at the end of the cleaning run and then run Privazer again to clean that newly freed space.

2. The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team Developer

Hello @tgraf66,

We will make it possible as an additional option at this place :
    - always create restore points
    - or always remove restore points

Certainly available in the new release at the end of March (PrivaZer v4.0.21)
    upload_2021-3-13_8-37-26.png

3. guest

guest Guest

PrivaZer v4.0.20 Released (13 March 2021)
    Website
    Release Notes
    Download (Donors Version)

4. tgraf66

Excellent. Thank you for your diligence and promptness, both in responses and in action.

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

What is this?

6. tgraf66

Replay Media Splitter is an app for splitting/joining media (audio and video) files. I've not used it, but it likely keeps some kind of history or log of which files were opened/edited with it, and I assume that Privazer has added this app to their cleanup protocol to make sure there are no traces left from its use on your system.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ah, OK. Thanks for the explanation. :thumb:

8. tgraf66

@The_PrivaZer_Team another couple of questions, please. :) 1) If I have files on an external drive, are there MFT's and Indexing information about those files in Windows? 2) If so, when that drive is disconnected, are those MFT's and indexing information marked for deletion and then cleaned by the next run of Privazer, or do they remain in the MFT/indexing record?

9. Special

Special Registered Member

Thanks, any ETA on this? It's still functional but has been in a semi-broken state for years as far as the interface is concerned, it's a great tool still though, I like being able to run a specialized tool that just scans for old/dead shellbags and remove those, quick and simple. Also who knows if things have improved in terms of shellbags scanning over the many years since last update, maybe that can get improved also, by taking what you've learned from PrivaZer.

10. The_PrivaZer_Team

Yes @Special, on our roadmap,
    expected before the end of March.

11. zoeff50

zoeff50 Registered Member

Windows commands sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth both report errors. sfc report corrupt files which cannot be repaired and dism command reports missing source file. Ran Privazer System File repair and Windows Image repair. Both completed successfully. Ran Windows sfc and dism commands again, but same errors are reported. How's that?

12. The_PrivaZer_Team

@zoeff50,
    So far, there is no log provided by PrivaZer when repairing.
    We will make it better.

@tgraf66,
    Interesting question,
    1) The MFT or FAT of a drive is 100% stored on the drive itself. So, when disconnecting drives, there is no traces of their MFT on your PC except if you use programs like Everything.
    2) But Indexing information can still contain traces of files on drives you have disconnected. It depends of your Indexing Options.
    See below. If you have added custom paths to an external drive to the index, then it may have been indexed even if it's disconnected. So, it may still contains traces of your files.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/NEPXy.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  13. tgraf66

Thank you! I disabled indexing on all drives before I ran Privazer for the first time and have never re-enabled it. However, I've noticed that Privazer still seems to be cleaning index files whenever I run it, so I'm not sure why that's happening.

14. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello @tgraf66,

can you check the status of your indexing service (Wsearch indexing) to see if it's like below :
    upload_2021-3-25_10-27-28.png

15. tgraf66

The only difference is that I have allowed hibernation. Should I not?

Attached Files:

16. Omnimaxus

Omnimaxus Registered Member

@The_PrivaZer_Team - some UI-related feedback/requests ...

1) The title bar, when I open PrivaZer from the system tray, loses the color and becomes white.

Normally, when a program is launched, the title bar stays the same color as Windows' color scheme.

This does not happen with PrivaZer. It can get distracting after a while. Can you please kindly fix this?

2) I'm curious. Why does the program icon stay in the taskbar while PrivaZer is in the system tray?

Why include an option to hide the icon in the taskbar, too? I've never seen a configuration like this before.

Is it because of the way you programmed PrivaZer? Can this be fixed to be more like other programs' behavior?

@The_PrivaZer_Team - thank you so much! I hope you follow through on the title bar issue, at least ...

17. Omnimaxus

@The_PrivaZer_Team

See below GIFs to see what I am talking about (re: the title bar colors).

The first one is of PrivaZer. The second is of me opening Notepad. See the difference? Can this please be fixed?

I appreciate how you listen to your users, and are so willing to make changes. Thanks!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

18. The_PrivaZer_Team

@tgraf66,
    no influence from hibernation.
    Can you send me a screenshot here or to support@privazer.com of the findings concerning the indexing?

@Omnimaxus,
    1. yes, that's due to the way it is coded, it's not a conventional title bar that could be handled by the system color scheme. I will investigate.
    2. PrivaZer is always in the system tray so that user can always find it when it is running.
    Some users wants it also in the taskbar and some others don't, so we added an option in the "advanced options" / "General" tab to switch it off/on.

19. guest

guest Guest

PrivaZer v4.0.21 Released (01 April 2021)
    Website
    Release Notes
    Download (Donors Version)

20. The_PrivaZer_Team

thanks @mood,

@tgraf66 restore points /snapshots deletion is eventually under "system".
    Is is unticked by default.
    It can be selected per drive :
    upload_2021-4-1_16-57-4.png
    upload_2021-4-1_16-56-47.png

21. The_PrivaZer_Team

@Special,
    next update is for shellbags AnalyZer and cleaner.

22. cyberlost24

cyberlost24 Registered Member

Yahoo!!!!!

23. Special

Special Registered Member

24. Omnimaxus

@The_PrivaZer_Team - thanks for replying. I do not mind re: the taskbar issue. I can live with that.

But if you can please fix the title bar issue, that would be EXCELLENT. Great program, but the UI needs a tiny bit of refinement.

I have no complaints about PrivaZer otherwise. Again, I can live with the taskbar thing. The title bar needs fixing.

Would appreciate an update either way re: the title bar. Thank you very much. @The_PrivaZer_Team

25. tgraf66

I hadn't been able to replicate the issue until today, and I think it may be related to installation files that have index attributes when they are installed. I will e-mail you the exported file from Privazer shortly.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.