PrivaZer Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by The_PrivaZer_Team, Feb 15, 2013.

1. The_PrivaZer_Team

The_PrivaZer_Team Developer

OK. It makes sense. Let me check if it needs to and if it is secure to delete some keys/values in it.

2. guest

guest Guest

PrivaZer v4.0.12 Released (9 October 2020)
    Website
    Release Notes
    Download (Donors Version)

3. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

PrivaZer version 4.0.13 has been released.
    Homepage - Download - Donors Version - Release Notes
    v

4. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello to all,

here is a screenshot to show you what's new in v4.0.13 (and thanks to @puff-m-d)

upload_2020-10-31_21-34-12.png

5. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah Ok, I get it. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

6. Hukran

Hukran Registered Member

Hey there! I've used Privazer for a couple of months now and come up to you with a noob question. I'm on an SSD and wonder if you really delete files (registry, shellbags or whatever) with Privazer. I read that you cannot really delete or shredder files on an SSD because of it's architecture. For example, if Privazer overwrites traces in the MFT on an SSD, are these traces gone for good? Or can they be recovered? Thank you very much and keep up the great work!

7. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello Hukran,

• Secure deletion of files + TRIM command will defeat recovery software on SSDs.

• For the most paranoiacs of us, erasure+overwriting of all the unused NANDs on your SSD will be recommended.
      It means the erasure+overwriting of the entire free space with one of the overwriting techniques listed in the advanced options of PrivaZer :
      (DO not clean your free space on SSD to often, it will reduce its lifespan)
      upload_2020-11-13_8-51-40.png

8. Hukran

Hukran Registered Member

Thank you! :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  9. cyberlost24

cyberlost24 Registered Member

repair.jpg PrivaZer 4.0.14 Released..Nov.16/20
    v4.0.14 (16 November 2020)
    + New feature added : You can check and repair your PC
    . System files
    . Windows image
    . File table (MFT, FAT)
    . sectors (MFT, FAT)
    + Improved portable version : it remembers your privazer.ini choice
    + Improved UI

https://privazer.com/en/download.php#changelog

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  10. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks! :thumb:

11. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Not sure if it is right to start thread here. Is there any way to turn off/remove the PrivaZer 'Delete without a trace' function? That function does nothing on my PC.
    TIA

12. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello @Rainwalker,

you are at the right place to post your questions.

Untick/tick checkboxes related to the contextual menu here in "Advanced options" :

upload_2020-11-23_9-2-4.png

13. Hukran

Hukran Registered Member

Another question (sorry for bothering). I thought Privazer is also cleaning cyberlink power director temp files and shadow files... Now, after a clean with Privazer these files are still there on my PC. I'm sure I only miss something.... :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  14. The_PrivaZer_Team

Under investigation... I keep you posted !

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  15. The_PrivaZer_Team

Cleanup of Cyberlink power director will be added in the next release.

16. cyberlost24

cyberlost24 Registered Member

v4.0.15 (05 December 2020) Released

Changelog...

Improved UI : Cookies
    + Improved cleanup : Snapshots / Shadows
    + Improved feature : Restore points
    + Improved cleanup : Cyberlink PowerDVD, PowerDirector
    https://privazer.com/en/download.php

17. heron

heron Registered Member

The Windows "Temp" folder has been setup to move from the default location to C:\Temp
    PrivaZer does not cleanup the non-default located folder (v4.0.15)

18. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hello @heron,

how did you set it ?

19. heron

heron Registered Member

Please see attached the PowerShell code excerpt.

Attached Files:

20. tgraf66

tgraf66 Registered Member

I just downloaded and used your program, and I am very impressed! Great work, and I appreciate it very much. :)

I know you can't know how every program works or know every registry key, but I wanted to let you know about registry issues with a couple of programs that may be used by more than a few of your customers

I use a couple of programs (GOM Player Plus video player and Jetico BestCrypt container encryption) that create history entries in the registry. Both of these programs create history keys in their respective registry entries. Although GOM Player has a checkbox in the options part of the interface that says "don't store history", even if that box is checked, it still stores the recent history of up to 50 videos as keys in the registry, including two audio indices, the video name, and the screen position of the player when playing the video. These keys can be found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GRETECH\GOMPLAYERPLUS\OPTION and need to be deleted after each use the program.

Bestcrypt does not offer a way to block history in their interface, and that program also stores a history in registry keys that shows the drive letter(s) used for any previously mounted containers (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jetico\BestCrypt\MountPoint), the most recently used mount point (drive letter) (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jetico\BestCrypt\MountPointNotify), and a list of all recently mounted containers HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Jetico\BestCrypt\Recently Mounted Containres) *Please note that the misspelling of "containres" is actually how it is in the registry for the older version I have. This may have been corrected in later versions*

Obviously, these are things that can easily be handled by anyone who is comfortable playing around in the registry, but for those who aren't, it might be something for you to look into including.

21. SunDescending2020

SunDescending2020 Registered Member

I've been using Privazer for some months now and one aspect of it I'm still not getting.

Under Advanced User when performing a scan on a particular drive the last item is System and in the details provided the last menu item is "Scans Performed". When I click on those details (typically 800+ scans) I see mostly dozens of thumbnail.db names.

What I do not understand is why they're there, particularly as the names often relate to the very files and folders I am secure deleting for privacy reasons.

I have system thumbnail caching turned off in Windows Group Policy settings and in Folder/File View the option to always show icons never thumbnails. I also use the CCleaner > Windows Explorer >Thumbnail cache cleaning option on a daily basis.

So what are those Scans Performed thumbnails doing there, what is generating them and how do I get rid of them?

22. The_PrivaZer_Team

Hallo @tgraf66,
    I will look into this.

Hello @SunDescending2020,
    PrivaZer scans every folder because it may find old versions of thumbnail files.
    In older verison of Windows, thumbnails were stored in the folder itself in Thumbs.db files.
    So If you have upgraded Windows, PrivaZer may still find some of them in your folders.

If you want to disable this feature, simply uncheck "Thumbs.db" here :
    upload_2020-12-14_16-41-18.png

23. SunDescending2020

SunDescending2020 Registered Member

Does doing that work for secondary internal HDDs? You do not have that System menu option if you're just cleaning that specific HD, you just have Pre-analysis, Traces in FAT, Traces in free space and System. The System sub-menu includes empty recycle bin, chkdsk fragments and Thumbnails & Icons cache: Thumbs.db and Thumbs.db (with XP format) all ticked.

I assumed that would mean the Thumbs.db would be secure cleaned but if after using Privazer I go back and rescan the same HDD whilst the Traces in FAT and free space are cleaned those same Scans Performed named thumbs.db files are still listed there. That means they're not being secure deleted or, more disconcerting, the possibility that Privazer itself is keeping a record of those scans somewhere.

If so doesn't that undermine the point of Privazer?

For instance let's say I've taken a screenshot of a payment I've made online and named it so it is easily identifiable. When I come to delete that screenshot at the end of the month I do not want a thumbnail.db, which for some reason has been created, to display the screenshot name in any scan.

If I untick the Privazer thumbnail.db options surely all that means is the HDD won't be scanned for such thumbnail.db. But if a thumbnail.db is there I want to know what is creating it and how to delete it not just be ignored by Privazer.

24. tgraf66

tgraf66 Registered Member

The BestCrypt keys should be able to be deleted entirely because if I'm not mistaken they are simply recreated when the program is run, but I'd prefer to simply be able to delete the values to avoid possible corruption of the registry. For GOMPlayer Plus, the values would need to be deleted as values because the main OPTIONS key also contains all of the other user options, so deleting the entire key would likely reset the player to factory settings and possibly corrupt the key entirely.

25. The_PrivaZer_Team

OK. I will work on it.

@SunDescending2020,
    I will investigate and keep you posted.
    Thanks for your feedback.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.