PrivateFW black screen at startup

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Romagnolo1973, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

PrivateFW + Avast = black screen at startup

This appens with PF 7.0.30.3 (last available) on my win8.1 64bit and for other italian user with win7 64bit, so I made this post just in case someone have the same issue.
    Starting the pc it boots perfectly but when is time to show your desktop screen it remain black and you can only force restart 2 or 3 times untill desktop is showed. Sometimes screen is black but you can see mouse arrow o_O

Could be a particular setup (AMD ATI driver, avast ...) but I have nothing strange and only PF + Avast at startup.

Using the previous PF version 7.0.30.2 seems solve the issue.

I don't know how to comunicate with privacyware devs reporting this problem.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

You can open a support ticket herehttp://www.privacyware.com/support_ticket.html

Greg will usually get back to you rather quickly.I do not know what kind of hours they are working today on New Years EVE,but I would expect a response quickly provided you open that ticket soon.My hunch is Avast may be the problem,but be sure in your ticket you let Greg know all the security related software you are running.Best of luck.

3. Romagnolo1973

Thanks superssjdan
    I will report the issue day 2 or 3 of jen
    At the moment we are 3 users in Italy (an italian IT forum) with this problem, another one with Avast and I will investigate if the 3d use the same AV, just to make a complete report for Privacyware devs.
    Probably is Avast with last updates, the issue is recent, day 29 dec in my case

4. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I have this problem too,but i discovered that runonce.exe from System32 seems to be the culprit.When the monitor is black,i opened task manager and i saw that runonce running...killed it and desktop shows instantly.I updated my Nvidia driver to the last version,but this morning happened again.(for me it doesn't happen all the times when boot or reboot my laptop).I have Privatefirewall and Avast installed... Don't know why this happens,but i suspect Avast rather than Privatefirewall.I'm telling this because this problem for me started 2-3 days ago when i began to see a Privatefirewall alert right after every boot telling me to allow or deny Avast's emergency update internet access...

5. Romagnolo1973

yes, I investigate and the 3d pc is with Avast too, so 99% is an avast problem. I will open a ticket in the Avast international forum, hoping this solve the issue.
    Ticket opened at Avast Forum http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=143809.0

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. jacemace

jacemace Registered Member

It is Avast emergency update and the runonce command.
    If you can open your task manager, you will see your disk at 100%.

7. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Such issues may be resolved if to reboot with HIPS in learning mode. By this trick I fixed "Black Screen" which happened when i tried PF. PF was blocking Eaz-Fix time machine.

8. Romagnolo1973

I've made a ticket on Avast Customer Care service about the issue and they reply to me to reinstall Avast o_O tipically customer care reply... well tomorrow I retry with last PF version to see if something is solved or not (with previous PF everithing is ok) and if not, this time I contact Privacyware that I think they are more focused in problem solving.
    Stay tuned:D

9. AdrianH

AdrianH Registered Member

You started a thread at avast forum, why not follow the advice you were given there?

The latest avast and Private Firewall work perfectly well together on Win8/8.1.

Either make a repair of avast, or intall avast with Private Firewall in training mode.

I have this set up on 2 machines at home and have installed avast and PF for several other people.

Read your thread at avast and you will see a screenshot of the Private Firewall processess page and the processes listed.

10. Romagnolo1973

because I have all avast processes allowed and avast is trusted publisher too in PF , if it was only me in 1 minute i change avast with others but since I saw am not the only one with this issue I think is good things investigate more and inform users (and producers) that in some case (or setting) the combo have a problem. Better than spend hours to understand the font of the issue.
    I like Avast+PF, smooth and efective and I like continuing use this combo if possible.

The problem was with last recent PF update only and for sure occured from day 28 to day 30 december, could be solved now if it was an avast malware fingerprint causing the issue.

I'm testing now last PF with avast and seems ok, several startup and no issue

11. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

10 minutes ago at start up it happened again,the very same issue.I had to manually kill that runonce.exe process as "usual"...:mad:
    Posted on the Romagnolo1973's thread on Avast forums too.
    And it seems that someone has a similar problem too here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=145185.0 ,not a black screen but a slow boot due to Avast's emergency update.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  12. Romagnolo1973

I have the same issue and the same day, but after some hours it seems disapeared and everything is ok.
    I think next time the emergency updater starts the story will repeat
    I have set all avast proces as allowed (even if I don't like this way) but at startup is a critical moment and could be this permissive setting can't help so much. Let us see in the future, I have avira setup ready on the desktop and next time I change av :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.