PrivateFirewall V7.0.28.1 Released Today

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kdcdq, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. If it can intercept direct disk access, it should be able to block writes to the MBR. Not sure if it can though. I should think it does, if it is effective at all; but I'm not using it at the moment, so I couldn't tell you.

BTW - has anyone noticed that learning mode turns itself off after a few minutes? I can see why this is a good idea, but it can be very annoying when installing big programs.

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

ive tried to install PFW twice and it doesnt seem to like my system at all with freezing etc.
    Its a shame as it looks a really nice program to use.
    Would it install in safe mode at all and if so does it cure the freezing problem..?

3. itman

itman Registered Member

You can turn it on longer by going into Settings -> Advanced -> and checkmark the Training box.

Important: Make sure you turn off Training in Advanced Settings after your appllication installation completes. Depending on the application software you have installed and especially if you are using a third party boot loader to support a multi-OS boot option, make sure you turn off that Advanced Settings Training option. Booting with that on when the above applies can literally trash the first OS you boot into. I learned that one the hard way:'(

4. itman

itman Registered Member

Not a selectable HIPS option at the application level. If it's there, it is hidden.

5. mattbiernat

mattbiernat Registered Member

Well there are 2 reasons for it:
    1) The first time that PFW starts it takes lots of resources and CPU power to complete installation. Not sure why, but my computer froze for about 1-2 minutes. This was only on the very first boot up. After that PFW works and runs great, with little system resource use (unlike other FWs).
    2) If you number 1 doesn't work then PFW might be conflicting with other software. You can try installing it on a fresh Windows installation and it will work perfectly fine.
    Don't give up. I had the same problem the first time I installed PFW. I have given up on it once already but after trying different kinds of FWs and seeing how many people praise PFW, I gave it another try and it worked perfectly.

6. biscuits

biscuits Registered Member

On the first boot-up after installing PFW just let the "freezing" be for 5 mins or so. If the problem persists then you probably have program/s conflicting with PFW. The freezing should only happen on the first boot-up after installation.

7. The Red Moon

Why does it take up so much resources etc.
    Kaspersky etc dont have these issues.
    There are countless instances where computers have been frozen etc.
    There really is no excuse for such bad software.other security products dont freeze computers up like this one does.
    Judging by the amount of freezing issues ive witnessed on this and other forums i will not be attempting to install this again until there is clear evidence this freezing issue has been resolved.it shouldnt be happening in the first place.I know there are a few PFW fanboys on here who defend it to the hilt.well the negatives on this program far outweigh the positives.
    Ive seen this application often referred to as "stable".well read this forum and other forums and it will be perfectly clear this firewall is anything but stable and should never be released in such a condition,
    Regards.!:thumb: :ninja:

8. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

PFW freezes up only on the first start. Why? I do not know, perhaps it has to load lots of rules, scan your computer, etc. Is there an excuse for it? Maybe there is, perhaps PFW needs lots of resources to do scanning, establishing rules, etc... Is there an excuse for developers not warning about it - NO!
    After first install, PFW froze my computer for about 2 min and I thought that it was toasted so I restored from an image. I have managed to do at least 5 PFW installation on a fresh windows 7 install and each time I had between 30s-2min computer freezing, after that everything worked fine.
    The beauty of this program is that it uses so little resources. I have tried OA which was a mammoth compared to PFW. I also tried Outpost FW and several others.
    As for right now I have PFW uninstalled because Iam boycotting software that's not 64 bit native. Also my current set up doesn't really need a FW since I got a strong HIPS and strong AV with restrictions placed on internet facing apps and default deny.

9. CGuard

CGuard Registered Member

PFW requires a reboot in order to finish its installation. After the reboot, PFW starts in Learning Mode, by default. During the first seconds, it whitelists running processes, connection attempts etc and creates the corresponding rules. That explains the initial "freeze up" issue -btw, it depends on the number of processes, services, connections that PFW has to learn/in my system the initial freeze up lasts for about 10 to 15 secs. I'm pretty sure PFW is not the only HIPS/FW that needs some time to learn things for the first time...

10. The Red Moon

I really do want to try PFW as it looks an interesting program.its the freezing issue which is putting me off.The support from the man that runs this is fantastic as he did email me to explain.Im going to give it another shot i think at some point and i shall see what happens.:thumb:

11. vojta

vojta Registered Member

There is another possibility: That people who defend PF don't experience the problems that you do.

Antiviruses, firewalls HIPS, etc. are very agressive programs and it's very likely that some of them conflict with each other. It was you who said: "I wouldnt say PFW is crap though its just it didnt run nice on my system.its practically impossible to test software on every system.
    some work and some dont and sadly PFW did not work for me but im sure it works for many just fine."

But now those who call PF 'stable' are fanboys and it would have never be released. And then in your last post support is great and you are going to give it a try again.

You are not very 'stable' either.

12. Just FWIW, folks: don't rely too much on PFW's "run as limited" feature. Unlike Comodo's policy sandbox, it appears to be identical to SRP's "run as limited" functionality, i.e. it won't stop a program from writing to areas owned by its user.

I think it might work for preventing programs from writing to the MBR. But that's about it, and I'm not even sure of that.

Edit: also, the allow/deny execute other programs feature DOES NOT WORK. AT ALL. Do not try to use PFW to e.g. block your browser from running arbitrary programs!

13. The Red Moon

What protection does it offer other than the HIPS.?
    It seems to be a "ask for everything".sort of app.
    Its not a program i would recommend to anyone and comodo would be a far better free option.
    Comodo does not freeze systems up solid like this does.:blink:
    Just read the threads on this and it will become plainly obvious it is not a stable app to use.I dont care if the fanboys rip into me about this.
    Ive given it the benefit of the doubt 3 times now and i give up on it.
    I will not be attempting to install this garbage ever again.:thumb:

14. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

September 20:

September 23:

The voice of reason reemerges. Reminds me of the song: "What a difference a day makes"...:rolleyes:

I hope nobody else makes any personal security decisions based upon such "reasoning".

15. The Red Moon

Help me to install then please.
    I dont know why but im having problems getting PFW installed correctly.
    Maybe i have been too rash with my opinions.
    Any suggestions .

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Let me make a simple statement and suggestion...Sometimes various security programs will not get along with the other apps (security and otherwise) on a given system.

For me, after several years I can no longer run Online Armor without certain annoying issues and I've never been able to run Outpost without significant issues on my XP Pro SP3 setup.

I have never had those issues when I used PrivateFirewall nor have I ever had any such issues with Comodo.

If you've found a good security solution for your system, and from the way you laud Comodo it seems that you have, why not just leave well enough alone? There is really nothing good to be gained by jumping in and out of such security apps on a near daily basis. If it works for you, stick with it...then you can avoid the need to go from one extreme to the other when evaluating various other products.

17. abu shofwan

abu shofwan Registered Member

recently,I got BSOD randomly while using Chrome.
    does anyone have same issue ?

I'm using latest version.

18. superssjdan

superssjdan Registered Member

Have tried to replicate your problem,but cannot unfortunately.Which one of your systems is having the issue..the one with KIS??As KIS has a full featured full blown firewall,it wouldn't be very stable in combination with privatefirewall as privatefirewall has a hips component which would almost certainly conflict with KIS.

19. abu shofwan

sorry forgot to mention. It happened on my XP with Avast Free |KPCD|SBIE|WinPatrol Plus installed

20. itman

itman Registered Member

I suspect PF is not fully compatible with Chrome. Have you filled out a PF support ticket? The developer responds quickly.

I suspect WinPatrol and PF's HIPS have a conflict. I would use one or the other.

21. abu shofwan

Done,now waiting reply from them

Uninstalled WP Plus,still no luck

thank

22. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

Are you running Kaspersky Avast Malwarebytes Pro and Win Patrol, don't suppose your behind a router as well? I used to beta test for Avira and from my experiences it would appear all of those applications are confusing that poor firewall..

23. abu shofwan

Very quick response from Greg Salvato (dev) :thumb:

this is my setup where PFW installed
    XP SP3 (fully updated)
    Avast Free
    MBAM Pro
    SBIE
    WinPatrol Plus (just removed)
    KPCD

Now waiting new release to solve my problem :D

24. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

With all of this talk about Private Firewall i decided to give it a go, the only prerequisite was to disable my security "Antivirus Antimalware" and any Hips applications "Win Patrol Plus" downloaded the PDF Manual made some minor adjustments and set it to training mode. So far no evidence of freezing up no odd noises just what appears to be another good firewall.. :)

Hogndog

edit* be sure to turn on your security applications after the firewall has completed installing.. ;)

25. moontan

moontan Registered Member

my PC froze solid after the install.

that was my clue to restore a clean image. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.