Privatefirewall updated

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QBgreen, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

RELEASE NOTES - 7.0.22.7, posted 12/15/2010
    - fixed inconsistent incoming/outgoing traffic icons in Internet Security
    - resolved isolated GUI crash report
    - corrected image error in New Process Detected full alert
    - changed "Always display alerts for outgoing connections” label to "Display alerts for new outgoing connections”

2. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

To clear something you blocked in error, or missed the pop-up whilst making a drink. Reset Process Monitor and start again downloading or using.

PFW hated DVD Flick (as it uses several freeware aps like imageburn) and as I missed the pop-ups DVD Flick stopped and I couldn't get it to run so I reset the process monitor and watched for the pop-ups (about 6 in total) and clicked allow.

Problem solved! Whether this is right or not I don't know but it did work for me and I have no problems with anything else on my computer or automatic product updates.

You can remove individual processes in process monitor advanced application settings or just reset the whole operation.

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Or you can put PFW into training mode and relaunch the application.

4. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I can't find "update". I thought I seen one before.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Can you click some update button and it updates itself? Or do you have to download the entire program after each update and install over top of the existing install to retain your config and rules?

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

You have to download and install. (Click "About Privatefirewall" in the tray icon and then "check for updates")

If you install on top just click "exit" from the tray icon before beginning the process and it will retain your settings without having to import them.

Keep in mind that you can now export and import your settings (since the release immediately prior to this one) so as to facilitate future installations.

7. Rilla927

Okay, thanks Blues7.

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

My pleasure. :cool:

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

To disable HIPS features in Private Firewall it's enough to do this? (to have firewall features ON only):

1- In 'Process Monitor' tab with "Off";
    2- In 'Settings' > 'Advanced' tab > unchecked ALL fields in ' Firewall and Process Monitor Settings' and 'System Anomaly Detection' .

Feedback appreciated.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Blues7, that explains everything nicely. I haven't installed it yet, just wanted to check out a few things first.

11. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Ok i ve installed Private Firewall to check it out.Some months ago ,when testing Windows 7 i came across it ,finding PF to be the only Seven compatible at those times.It also featured insanely lighteness on the system ,i couldnt feel it s presence on a old Barton 2600+ featuring W7 RC .Some time ago i ve created a thread here at wilders about my Firefox rules which the firewall was changing as it wished too no matter the vendors ,etc .

Now ,what i ve found good and bad on my XP up to date install :

Good :

1.The firewall is finally accepting my aplication rules as i make/modify them ,it seems it s not overwriteing them anymore

2.It s insanelly light i mean the windows snap after the HIPS rules are made as no other HIPS featured firewall

3.You can save/back-up your configuration ,an option to which OFP free and PC Tools still dream about :)

Bad :

1.Alowed packets are not logged.I would want to be able to choose log blocked/log alowed/log all from some menu ,only blocked packets is not enough for me.Either add LOG or DO NOT LOG options to the aplication itself.

2.After playing with the advanced log i couldnt make the firewall to show some loopback interception taking place.I ve tested this with PBSVC.exe ,punkbuster troubleshoooting tool which uses loopaback for testing the services.No blocked or alowed packets for 127.0.0.1 were logged.This lets me belive there is no loopback interception.

3.In aplication rules there are some granular rule options ,but none regarding controling IP-s ,at least remote ones i should of been able to choose.Yes you can block and alow IP s in the main page ,but adding IP control into the aplication rules wouldnt hurt.You can do that in Comodo ,OFP ,Sunbelt and so on.

4.I would like a Block Most like "megarule" for network traffic in PF.

5.The interface looks ugly.

I would have expected more from PF but by no means it s a bad firewall.The lack of loging alowed ,the lack of IP control in aplicaiton rules (i really want to select the remote IP-s i want if needed) made me uninstall it.It still needs some working on the network part.It s ok as a basic network filter though.

12. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

OMG PFW panicked at the latest windows update (W7 x64)o_O

13. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Panicked? explain?

14. Rilla927

I uninstalled and reinstalled the newest version and I have to say this is the cleanest FW I have ever uninstalled. I found no trace of anything, not one file or folder and I done a search and nothing.

I noticed when I enabled Firewall and Process Monitor Settings>Enable Process Detection>Enable Training it slows my computer down way to much to where everything opens up so slow eventually I had to disble it. Does anyone else have this problem?

15. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

I've been running the new version for a couple of days now, same Process Monitor settings as you, and it's running light as a feather.
    On the other hand, after uninstalling any version of PFW, I am left with a PFW folder in My Name>AppData>Roaming, though it's an empty one.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Did you abbreviate the settings? On my computer (WinXP) to do what you said I had to:

Rt Click Cop icon in system tray> on system tray pop-up menu, click "Training" >on system tray pop-up menu, click Main Menu (that runs PFW's GUI)> on GUI, click Process Monitor > On Process Monitor move slide to High
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Once you have trained the main applications on your computer, the Process Monitor should no longer be a significant factor in computer zippiness for THOSE particular apps.

By the way, be sure & exit Training mode when training period is done & you move into shark-infested waters.

It's been a long time since I had to do any training. As far as I can recall, I did not notice any slow-down back then. In any event, now that PFW has gained a thorough knowledge of my on-board apps & usual activities, it has become like the cross between a tiger and a parrot. That is, PFW seldom speaks, but when it does, you better listen! ;)

NOTE: Process Monitor is the means whereby you activate or inactivate PFW's HIPS component.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  17. Rilla927

Bellgamin you are right, I forgot about that. Everytime I see the "Enable Training for 3 days in the settings I keep thinking that is training mode when it's not. The slider is on high.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I will give it a try with training mode (the real one) on and see what happens.

Yes, I agree cuz something is a knocking at your door.

This is one of the things I really liked about this program.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  18. Rilla927

Since I have been in training mode no slow downs.

19. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

If anyone's interested here is the MD5:

Private Firewall 7.0.22.7
    65cd0f33ccaaf8ea04018d673876cae1

20. Rilla927

Is anyone running PF on Windows 7 64bit with Kaspersky AV 2011?

It's freezing intermittently. I'll have to disable System Watch or Proactive Defense and see what happens. I disabled these two and the FW stays frozen. I also have Prevx SOL... I wonder if there is a conflict here. I did reinstall the FW and it still does the same.

Can anyone confirm the same?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  21. Cimmerian

I had an issue with PF & KAV 2011, and also PF & Avast Pro, where the GUI of PF would freeze. The Profile tab would be set to Home, but display as Office. If I tried to click Applications or Process Monitor tabs under the Main Menu tree, the Internet & Network Security tabs would disappear. The firewall itself remained active though. I had some dialogue with Greg at Privacyware about it, but he had never seen this issue before, and all suggestions failed.
    If your issue is similar, I can confirm for you.

22. Rilla927

Yes, mine is doing the exact same thing.

Mine just freezes, I can't click on any other module. It's stuck on Main.

Thank you for posting. I emailed Greg and he said to reinstall and I did but it didn't do any good. I still have the same thing.

23. Cimmerian

Mine froze as well, couldn't access other modules....funny how the Internet & Network Security sliders disappeared on my end though...
    Sorry to hear you're having this issue as well...but at least I know that this wasn't affecting me only....also, PF worked flawlessly with Avira Premium on the same PC for me....very strange..

24. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I'm on Windows XP and have not had any problems with it so far.

25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

We have two computers running it with XP Pro SP3 along with MSE with no issues.
    (I do have PF on the "ignore" list within MSE fwiw along with my "on demand" scanners. Not sure if it's necessary or not to do so.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.