PrivateFirewall and Avast Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zpro, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zpro

zpro Registered Member

Does anyone have this combo setup, privatefirewall, and avast free antivirus,
    if so, what settings, to you have to adjust, so that all is behaving well together,
    I did shut off (stop) behavior checking on the avast, since privatefirewall, seems to do that to.. or ?

And I must say, the connection speed improved compare to Comodo,

Thanks for the Help
    :)

2. itman

itman Registered Member

I couldn't get Avast 6 free and PF to work together under WIN 7 x64. There is a PF thread in this forum pages long that confirms many others have had issues with the two.

If I had to summarize the problems, they appear to center around x64 Windows versions. So if your OS is x86, it might indeed work for you.

3. Tele2k

Tele2k Registered Member

I think you are correct, as I am using PFW with Avast on an Dell XP SP3 laptop without any issues.

VW

4. cyberrufus

cyberrufus Registered Member

If you're using Avast 7 you should enable "scan traffic from well-known browser processes only" under the webshield settings. There's an issue with the latest Avast and some firewalls, including PrivateFirewall.

5. jima

jima Registered Member

I can confirm that Avast works fine with xp sp3. Have been using for some time and made no adjustments.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I have Avast 7 and the latest Private Firewall installed in XPSP3. What is it that requires the settings adjustment you mentioned? The only issue I'm noticing is being unable to connect the Avast Remote Support component. I don't know that that is due to Private Firewall though.

7. cyberrufus

The firewall is allowing blocked outbound to go through due to an issue with Avast's webshield. Here's an Avast thread on the subject and here's one from Comodo.

I had the issue with both Windows 7 Firewall and PrivateFirewall but XP may not be affected.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

FYI in XP the problem doesn't seem to occur. With Private Firewall (PF) and Avast v7 Free at default settings I can set PF to block Firefox and it works. Is that all there is to it and would there be any value in making the adjustments to Avast's webshield?

9. cyberrufus

If you can block FF out with the default Avast settings there's no problem and the issue appears to be specific to Windows 7.

10. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Installed yesterday Avast last version and PVTFirewall and all seems fine.But i can confirm that even blocked by PF,FF still connects,same with Opera portable.Tried then with my main browser Comodo Dragon,and it seems to be blocked.Palemoon portable seems to be blocked too.Strange...
    PS.IE9 connects without problems,even when it's blocked....

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Private Firewall is a strange firewall. On my PC it doesn't asks when Firefox, svchost and other few programs are trying to connect to the internet. It just blocks them. I have to do the rules manually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.