Private Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Wills, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this firewall?
    I would appreciate comments. Thankyou

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had never seen it before, it looks interesting and warrants further investigation ;)

bigc

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

4. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Yes I realize that. I tried Zone Alarm free and had problems with my notebook slow at start up and the browser was slow as well. Then I went out and bought Zone Alarm Pro 5 and it was just as bad. Resource hogs, went to the security forum Don Hoover and tried all the configurations and no solution. There is something wrong with this program and my notebook. I have 512 RAM, plenty for my needs and I had the "xp" firewall turned off. While in that particular forum there were similar issues like I had and so I got my refund for the Pro 5 and am looking at others.
    So far not impressed with Sygate and the fiddling that one has to do like turning off traffic logging and the issues with Kerio 2.115 and again all of the quirks that come with that one and the changes one has to implement.
    That is why I am asking about Private Firewall, the aspect of purchasing does not bother me as long as the program is reliable and not picky with configuarations that are unavailable to guide in the insalllation.
    Zone Alarm free edition or the Pro 5 purchase edition made my notebook crawl. Not good and so I am doing a lot of reading and posting.
    I just thought that some member may have used this program and so I wanted their comments.
    I still hope to get some ideas. Thanx.

5. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

If you don't mind purchasing...
    LnS, Outpost, Kerio, Sygate and Tiny are wonderful options [each with its own benefits and limitations]
    I suggest you poke around more before comitting your finances.

6. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I am looking for something that is fairly user friendly for a novice where there is not a lot of rule making etc.

I am simply bumbling along here reading books, magazines and surfing; as well as talking to friends.

I would appreciate any comments on the purchase ones if any experienced users have knowlege of any that are user friendly. That is why I was looking at Private firewall as it did seem to satisfy that requirement however I do like to shop around especially after my purchase of Zone Alarm Pro 5 which was a real downer on my notebook.

Once bitten....twice shy I guess you can say!!!

Look forward again to comments.

Thanx :)

7. Diver

Diver Guest

For an easy to use free firewall, try Sygate Free. Other than that, the only other easy to use free fireall is ZA Free.

8. no13

isn't omniquad the same as ZA?
    does it have "vsmon.exe" process running?

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For a user friendly, top-rated firewall, I recommend Outpost PRO.

Put it in "Rules Wizard" mode and it will write its own rules as-you-go.

I am totally NON-geek -- can't even spell "fahrwahl" -- but it's simple enough for even me to use it. :p

10. Wills

Wills Registered Member

Still looking...I wondered about this omniquaid that was mentioned. Is it the same as Zone Alarm as was suggested?

Also the sites that Private firewall are at are the author's site:

http://www.privacy.com/PF3_Product_sheet.pdf[/U]
    and as well on Snap files, this is the current edition 3 and should be coming out with version 4 in a few weeks the site at Snap files is:

http://wwwsnapfiles.com/getprivatefirewall.html

The author has sent me the beta version to try out however, I am a little uncertain about trying out a beta version as I have not done this before and i believe it is use at your own risk if I am correct.

the older version has a very small foot print and the newer version will be 3.5

I look forward to comments.

Thankyou

11. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi

I switch from the older but lighter Zone Alarm Free 2.6.365, to the IOutpost Free 1, which is also amptly sufficein-ent for my needs (not that I have low needs, but I mean personal pc needs)

Very easy to configuren, and they surely do the firewall job, OutpostFree even with additional easily configured features compared to ZAFree

Rgds

12. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

What I mean by that is that I use ZAFree 2.6.365, and - when I wanna change for a while, I 'Ghost' back an image of my system equipped with OutpostFree.

After a while, I do the same thing the other way around, and go back to ZAFree, just for the fun of these two Firewalls.

Never had any problem

Tested both on www.pcflank.com, even for the exploits test, succeeded with any of these two.

Rgds

13. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Guest

Willis .
    Trust me whaen I say that Outpost Pro is excellent at what it does . And fairly easy to use . Zone Alarm Pro WAS good but , especially for a newbie , FORGET IT ! Their support is the worst around . I test these things all the time . Sygate is simplistic but , not secure enough . Many others work much better . Outpost Pro goes along and lets you learn as you go , SAFELY . Very easy yet powerful . And , if you had a license for ZAP , you will get a discount . Good luck to you . For a free one , try Jetico Firewall . Excellent . Not very simplistic but incredibly powerful .

14. Wills

Wills Registered Member

I am still wondering if Omniquaid that was posted as an alternate is the same as ZA.
    In terms of Outpost Free and Pro, we have tried it at the office and it crashes with McAffee A/V and Norton A/V and Norton Professional Systemworks.
    So we have set that program aside and are still looking.

I would appreciate comments. Thankyou

15. no13

use kerio4 free
    be happy.
    If you don't need logging/gateway/content filter features, that is.

16. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

I have not tried Omniquad myself, but I have also heard that it is basically a dated version of Zone Alarm. I have to agree with hollywoodpc that Outpost Pro is a badass firewall and perfect for new users. It is powerfull and fairly light on resources. I would stay away from Jetico untill the next few releases, it can mess peoples computers up from time-to-time. GL

17. Diver

Diver Guest

Outpost Pro is a good firewall, but it starts out with 32 MB of memory, more than any other firewall. It may swap down later. Some people say as low as 7 MB, but I never saw less than about 20 MB. It also placed a noticable drag on an older machine I have around here that I use for testing system drag.

18. Wills

Wills Registered Member

The drag on the box is what I am worried about, as that is what the resource hog Zone Alarm Pro 5 did to me. I was so blessed slow at startup and I even was fortunate to get info from "Hoov" for configuration, what to leave enabled and what not to; but it seemed to make little difference.
    So I just got rid of it, I couldn't stand looking at the cursor and the timer while I was doing a search, I could get up and grab a coffee and they were still there.

I am trying out the free version of OutPost and have added a post regarding that Program and hope to get some advice on it, as there are some questions that I have there.
    Respectful Regards

19. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Guest

Willis .
    I hope you are not using Norton products on YOUR computer . You say at the office but , on YOURS ? If so , stop talking about a firewall with little drag . I suggest you get rid of Norton and find something else . It is a well known fact that Norton AV , FW , or any other app , is ridiculously high in resource use . Just trying to help . Good luck . And as for Outpost in the 32 mb range . I am unsure of what exactly that means , lol , but , It is fairly light . Geez . Some people make it out to be a hog . NO WAY ! Much better than some make it out to be . I should know as I test firewalls constantly as a living . Now . If you have a Commodore 64 , guess you are in trouble .

20. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

I have installed an Outpost Pro on a 1.3Ghz Centrino and it works well. Surfing is smooth, even smoother than Kerio 2.15. If you do not call up the Firewall GUI, I think memory is 'bout 7MB. However, as Diver noted, it does start out with quite a high memory usage level.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

When I used it here, the ram usage never got down much below 30 megs as far as I remember.. But I have 512, so it didn't really bother me much. Cpu usage was fine also. I think Outpost Pro is a pretty good firewall, but it just had a few too many bells and whistles for my tastes...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.