Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I personally also unticked the "email anomaly detection" so as to allow any AV. HIPS or behavior blocker to do its job without any potential conflict.

By deselecting those features you're now left with the two-way firewall with a variety of options in that arena alone. (And you always have the option to restore them later on if you choose to.)

2. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

I'm usiing without HIPS activated also. Noticed that some app. started delayed with HIPS.

3. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Why would you use Private Firewall if you have HIPS turned off ?!

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Because it's a good free firewall in itself. As with most Firewall/HIPS you can turn the HIPS component off.

5. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Exactly. :) ;) :D :cool:

6. justenough

justenough Registered Member

My reason is that I use Mamutu, and don't want to duplicate what it is doing just to get a good firewall. Since I am an average user and not a tech, I can't saying anything personally about how good a job Privatefirewall does, though I know it has a good reputation. So far, after a day of use, I am very happy with how it is running on my computer with the other programs, and with the easy-to-understand interface.

7. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Well, I've reconsidered using the HIPS and "additional" protection of SpyShelter (which I've uninstalled) and have returned to using Privatefirewall's HIPS in the "high" configuration. (My setup is in my sig.)

I just prefer the simpicity and lightness of the setup and the way my system responds. I've no doubt that it will continue to provide excellent security.

8. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I'll have to try that, turn off Mamutu and try the HIPS in PFW, see if there's a noticeable difference in speed. I'm willing to give up a bit of security there in exchange for increase in responsiveness.

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Do any of you have a problem with PF staying in training mode?

For the life of me it will not stay in training mode no matter what I do.

Before I had Kaspersky AV 2011 installed with PF and they don't get a long on Win 7 64bit. In fact when I had these two installed on Vista 32bit I had to disable system watcher in Kaspersky and there was still lag.

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I've never used the training mode, personally.

Interestingly enough, Greg Salvato (from Privacyware) told me that he "hates" training mode and always takes the program out of that status asap upon installation.

I haven't found it to be that big a deal to allow or deny apps and services on the fly.

11. Rilla927

Yes, that's pretty much what I have been doing.

12. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Question? Still no support for IDPV6. It doesn't appear to me to have it. So should those of us running Win7-64 enable the internal Windows firewall also?

13. Rilla927

Good question!!

14. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I have never waited long for a reply and there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth:

Support:
    support@privacyware.com

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

As far as I know, Greg is NOT a horse. :cool:

16. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Wilbur!!!!! ;)

17. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

New version 7.0.22.8 :p :p :p :p

Changes in 7.0.22.8:
    * Eliminated errant installer registry entry
    * Added updated Help File
    * Fixed Settings defect in which "Disable Auto-Response" option was not preserved after reboot

18. Rilla927

Thanks for the update.

19. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

For those of you who install the new version on top of the last, check your settings.

On my XP Pro SP3 setup (and my wife's) I noticed that there was one small issue. (And I've been corresponding with Greg Salvato of Privacyware about it so he's already aware of the possible glitch.)

On our machines, the box to "always display alerts for new outgoing connections" was unticked. All other settings appear to have been properly preserved. Naturally, YMMV.

After I reestablished the settings they remained intact after a reboot on both machines.

Hope this may be helpful. :cool:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  20. Rilla927

Thanks Blues,

I never noticed that, mine is unticked. I never noticed ticked before though.

21. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

You're welcome. :cool:
    It's not ticked by default...it's just that my own setting was not preserved on our two computers. (Just this one setting.)
    It would be easy to possibly overlook that after the installation so I wanted to mention it is all.

22. Rilla927

Gotcha!

This FW a lot of the times don't remember what rules were set . I thought this was cuz I used just for a short time on Vista and it didn't have a chance to get used to the system.

Now that I have installed it upon my daughters laptop (Win 7 64bit) I have to keep changing back the original rules I set and reboot and a lot of the times after a reboot they are not there. It's a big vicious circle.

23. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I dunno as I'm running XP Pro SP3. But, I've rebooted a couple times since and it's preserved my settings since the install on top of the last version.
    (I always ensure that I export my settings to a thumb drive for later import if need be.)

I've been very pleased with the performance of PF and how seamlessly it works with my other security software and OS. :cool:

24. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Few days ago i ve installed it on some W7 32 bit machine and though i forced it to not autorespond i ve observed that in some cases it was delivering a dialog with alow /block option , but alowed was beeing ticked by default with a countdown.
    I didn t liked that ,is it fixed in this version ?
    Practically if i m AFK i can have PF answering as it wants :)

Anyway i ve re-uninstalled it ,the LOG feature its a mess for me.Not knowing what is happening annoys me even more.
    So does the latest version enhance the loging feature or did the "horse" say something about full logging capability ?

I know many like the lightness of the firewall ,but it can be enhanced a lot ,so don t hit me :)

25. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I think if you're AFK and the countdown timer applies, the default is "deny" so you'd need to go back and look for something in apps or processes that had the red "x". Then you could decide to change it to "allow" or "filter".

If you look at the .pdf manual for the firewall, it gives some instances and options with manual control where the firewall will still allow certain certified/signed apps depending on whether they are accessing the internet or not. (I believe if you tick the "disable auto response" under manual control, it then addresses this and you'll "have to" respond to the alert as opposed to having a default "deny" after 30 seconds.)

It's a work in progress but for someone like myself it's a terrific program. And it's constantly being improved. YMMV, of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.