Private Firewall Updated (again)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Scoobs72, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Finally got around to upgrading to v7.0.25.4. :thumb:

3. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I tested Personal Firewall in XP 32 with maxed up settings. Could you tell me if your results coincide? For what I have read in this thread is seems that it passes all the tests for some people.

SpyShelter tests:

Keylogging - passed
    Webcam capture - no cam here
    Screenshot - passed
    Clipboard monitoring - passed
    System protection - memory access 1 passed, the rest failed
    Sound record - not covered by PF, I think

It also passed Zemana's Keylogging, Clipboard monitoring and Screenshot tests. I don't have the SSL test.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Version 7.0.25.4 = NO problems with full screen applications.Finally! Great! Thank You, Privacyware ! :)

5. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Good to hear :thumb:

6. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

New Update

7. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

The installation procedure:

8. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Thanks for the update. And Greg, thanks for adding so many useful options.:)

9. fblais

fblais Registered Member

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I'm very happy with this new version of PFW, everything working correctly in the right place.

11. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Does the new version work well under standard account? And if someone has tried - does Private firewall work OK with NOD32 5.0, considering they both have HIPS.

12. cavehomme

cavehomme Registered Member

I welcome the restricted rights improvements, but there is still one basic function of PFW that is puzzling to me and I cannot find a clear answer to in the manuals, perhaps someone here can help please?

1. Upon installing PFW the training mode is on for 10 minutes. I extended that for about 30 minutes and opened up all the apps on my laptop. It picks up the processes and establishes rules, so I am clear an happy on that. But when I go into the process monitor screen in PFW main screen, the explanation for "medium" vesus high is not really clear. On what basis do apps get identified and shown under "medium"?

2. What if there was a malware and the setting is on "medium" would it get picked up?

3. Under "settings", "advanced", there is the confusing setting of "enable process detection" ?! But it seems that process detection is already enabled (due to points #1 and 2 above), or not? What is the differnece in this setting being "on" versus "off"? Why is not on by default?

Very confusing and appreciate any explanations please.

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

Medium to High is just sensitivity, more activity will be monitored meaning more pop-ups, training period is really critical in any security app, if your system have undetected malware acting like normal software it will be allowed.

14. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I installed Avast Free (latest version) and it is colliding terribly with PF.

I can't select any of the modules in PF to check Application settings or Process Monitor settings. Nothing will move. Anyone else with this problem?

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I read on some post that the PrivateFirewall's developers are watching from time to time here at wilders the threads about it.If so,i was wondering if they could do something to increase the time pop-ups are available.IMO 60 sec is too low,if i'm away from my pc and PVT FW warned about something and i don't know?I really wish this thing...let's see if someone is listening or not.;)

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hi-ho Joe! I agree with what you are requesting. I *suppose* that the PFW folks check here from time to time, but not very often. However - - - why not submit a ticket to HERE? PFW Support always replies reasonably fast.

17. JoeBlack40

Hello there Bellgamin
    Done what you suggested.Fingers crossed and now i (we) wait.:cool:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  18. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Avast 6 free here - no problems.Try to install first the AV, then PFW, that's what I did.

19. Rilla927

@Tarantula

That is exactly what I did and it is still frozen since the install. I get pop ups but cannot select any of the modules in the program. This sucks cuz I really don't want to use another FW.

20. JoeBlack40

Ok,received this morning the reply from Greg Salvato.
    Well,i've done it and now i'll wait for pop-ups.:D
    Thank you Greg!!
    PS.Indeed the reply was fast :thumb:

One add up from me..."disable auto response" must be enabled.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  21. JoeBlack40

Installed today Avast free to see how it does these days.Decided to keep it and installed Privatefirewall.I run them about two hours and didn't notice any conflict.And i can open PVFW modules normally.

22. Rilla927

I have uninstalled everything so I can start with a clean slate. Installed Avast first and then PF and it locked up.

Then uninstalled both and started again but with PF first and it was working fine up until I installed Avast. Tried this twice.

23. JoeBlack40

Well,pc's are like people sometimes,they "have" likes and dislikes.For no apparently reason,one setup that works flawlessly for others my pc doesn't like it,even on a fresh Windows install.Weird...

24. Rilla927

Yes, that's how I look at it too. You win some, you lose some.

I wish I could find something that just works and not have to worry about it anymore. I hate having too keep installing and uninstalling. I would rather spend my time doing other things.

25. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

does it support multiple user accounts now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.