Privacy + VPN + Firefox Add-ons

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Snoop3, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i was just wondering if a subscribed to a VPN service would there still be any need for Firefox add-ons like TrackMeNot and Ghostery, etc...its probably too late already but i'm just trying to prevent companies like Google from tracking me and building profiles on me and when i started using a bunch of these Firefox privacy add-ons until i find out that sites will be able to track you by your browser add-ons even if you block some of the cookies and beacons.. :(

is this true and what are the latest recommendations re: anonymous VPN vs. pseudoanonymous VPN?

i am looking at getting either iVPN or Strong VPN but not sure either offers true anonymity...

2. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

For sure addons like TrackMeNot, Ghostery, BetterPrivacyn noscript etc will help.

With a VPN (or a proxy) only your real IP is hidden (this IP may leaks in case of proxy usage, because of java, javascript, flash etc, connecting in bypassing the proxy; that doesn'y normally happen with a vpn). But Panopticlick test shows that even with your rel IP hidden, you can be traced through other information your browser is leaking. So for browsing stealthly, use a VPN (at least a pseudonymous one) with all these addons (and maybe some others ?) enabled.

3. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks for the response Lyx....

i should have mentioned that i have mobile broadband and i think i get a different IP every time so i'm not too worried about the IP unless other people say i still should be....but it seems like the VPN ought to be able to hide the characteristics of my browser and the add-ons i have installed(?)...this is something i would pay extra for and seems like it ought to be available....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.