Privacy firm DuckDuckGo launches App Tracking Protection for Android

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by guest, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

not him, but speaking for me - android, adguard premium, firefox - firefox has extensions like ublock, but is not filtered by adguard, because uBo exceeds adguard options. but for other apps adguard is doing a very nice job - no ads in almost all apps which are sponsored by ads, just pure content ^^

ok, this is away from ddg but ddg has to compete with such programs. it is like ad blocking extensions for browsers - a wide spectrum if filtering options: less, more, stealth, loosen. depend on what you prefer. ddg ofc has its purpose but for android these times they surely need to compete with blokada and adguard (which build however, premium is full featured). for me i have doubt to switch, but i would buy any time another license for adguard.

2. imdb

imdb Registered Member

sorry. should have made myself clear. i was referring to ag extensions "disable amp" and "ag extra" under settings.

3. Arequire

Arequire Registered Member

Too many.

Privacy Badger, Disconnect and UltraBlock are redundant as you already have uBlock Origin blocking ads and trackers.

Privacy Possum is abandoned.

ClearURLs is redundant as you can enable AdGuard URL Tracking Protection under the privacy section of uBlock Origin's filter lists pane.

Canvas Fingerprint Defender likely isn't doing anything to help prevent fingeprinting, as sites can easily use other browser characteristics or characteristics unconnected to your browser (hardware specifications, for example) to create a unique fingerprint.

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Me too!

5. Brummelchen

i tried the most used for chromium - currently for chromium using this one because working, another one (disabled) is "canvas blocker - fingerprint protect". all others failed. for firefox it does not make sense to use such extension - as you wrote there exist other methods. canvas faking is the only solution, the cited one do this way, blocking makes you unique.

and ofc, ublock replaces a dozen of other blocking extensions and has more options to strengthen or loosen settings. its not almighty and it had some security issues as some wrote these days.
    i use "extra", but not "amp". what amp do
    https://github.com/AdguardTeam/DisableAMP

firefox (nightly) can use "redirect bypasser" in such cases (not only very handy for google results).
    "amp" is useful for browsers on android which are not able to use extensions like firefox (nightly)

6. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Thanks!

Extensions... AdGuard Extra, "designed to solve complicated cases when regular ad blocking rules aren't enough." Who could pass on that? :)

Maybe I should read up on AMP again. But I rarely us google for searches anymore, preferring StartPage. Or if it would have any effect on the browser I use: byteman's XBrowser.
    I dropped that and enabled Fingerprinting in Firefox's Enhanced Tracking Protection settings. I often wonder (really) if that's a better or worse solution. Or no difference. And if AdGuard's No Coin filter adds anything.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  7. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

@zmechys
    Precisely! Or switch adblockers depending on your preferences, i.e. set and forget type or fully customizable with filter lists? url tracking protection? etc.

At the moment I'm fine with a set and forget, no breakage, not taking the "privacy" thing too far. Everybody knows who I am, where I live, what I like, ... Welcome to the 21st Century!:argh:

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

9. guest

guest Guest

My experience with DuckDuckGo's App Tracking Protection feature
    December 31, 2021

10. Brummelchen

if you speak about the resistfingerprinting setting in prefs.js!?
    it will do things worse. it sets useragent to v91 and it causes several other quirks for firefox.

people follow too much nonsense on such "privacy" pages which only tell half of the truth.

technically k.o. this is not acceptable for me.

11. Surt

Surt Registered Member

No. I know what that does but never quite understood its totality and decided to leave it at the default. Better part of valor...

I mean Firefox's Fingerprinting option under the Custom setting for Enhanced Tracking Protection versus the Canvas Fingerprint Defender extension.

12. Less

Less Registered Member

Hi,
    i just uninstalled Privacy Badger and ran coveryourtracks.
    i got "Partial protection" for "Blocking invisible trackers"
    I have uBlock with the usual Adguard and Fanboy lists.

What else do i need to tweak for the "Full protection"?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.