Privacy ? creating new PayPal / Google checkout acct

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by phkhgh, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Never used either of these, so know nothing of what they do w/ personal info you enter.
    OR, more importantly, what serious negatives one may have over the other.

Recently, trying to sign up w/ a VOIP provider that only accept CCs through PP or Google. Looked at 1st page on PP sign up. Of course they ask for everything except your blood type.

If it's a lesser of 2 evils between PP & Google check out, which is least worst?

Yeah, they'll have your CC info (if going that route) but do most put their real info in all personal profile questions?

Thanks!

2. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

I've got an account with both, and have never run into any problems. I use paypal for making purchases thru eBay and google checkout mostly for computer purchases from my favourite online retailers.

You will probably find that paypal is more widely accepted than google checkout.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I have a PayPal account and they required a bank account, so I opened a separate free checking account for that sole purpose.

4. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

I wasn't so worried about either selling my CC # to a fraud ring, as to what they do w/ the private info when u sign up. (Google doesn't have the best rep in that dept).

Another option I thought of, but still may need PP / Google depending on merchant, is get a "virtual CC #" from your card issuer, so no one sees the real #.

What's that? Google already hides your CC # from the merchant? Them having my CC doesn't exactly boost my confidence either. What about when there's a prob w/ what you bought? Do you go to Google or the merchant? My understanding is when u use Google Checkout, your CC bill shows "Google," not the merchant.

Is that true? Doesn't it get a little confusing?

5. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

CC bill shows GOOGLE* MERCHANT

(merchant is wherever you bought from)

Honestly I think they are both fine.... your bank will protect you from any fraud and I haven't had anything untoward happen with either of those companies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.