Privacy and anonymous browsing

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Kas, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Caspian ;-
    I am using IE7 with Windows XP Home Edition.
    Some of the operational item names being mentioned, I do not even know if I have them. Everything works perfect now and I do not wish to upset it, bit cautious.
    Every heard of that huge monster Jumbo being grounded by a ONE CENT grummet ?

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Oh but you should download firefox and just try it. It is the safest and fastest way to go. You'll never go back to IE. I have mine configured to delete all private data when I exit, and I tell it not to store anything. Whenever I go back and use IE, I feel like I am walking around in a mud puddle, and of course you have to run Ccleaner often just to get rid of all of the junk. With firefox, it disappears when you close it.

HUH? I am so lost.:doubt: Please enlighten me.:blink:

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Steve,

Can you say, or suggest some website with info, what should be disable in our browsers, like Opera, to have a better privacy?

I know that you suggested "xB Browser", but Opera is my favorite browser, so...

Also, for those that want a free option, what tools and technologies can you suggest?

Thanks

4. SteveTX

SteveTX Registered Member

You can use OperaTor, but always use it for https addresses.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will try it.

And about the second question, for a home user?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  6. SteveTX

OperaTor and xB Browser are free. What else were you looking for?

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

SteveTX,

Why xB Browser use Firefox 2.0?

9. SteveTX

Because Mozilla, Firefox's parent organization, works for Google. Google is in a browser war with Microsoft over their browser. Therefore Mozilla cares more about features than security. They will introduce new features as fast as possible, without regard to the security bugs that are created by the new features, and then retroactively rather than pro-actively patch the bugs in subsequent releases.

For an anonymous browser, security takes the front seat as the most important issue.

This is similar to cryptography. Which cryptographic algorithm is better. The older ones or the latest ones? The older ones. Why? Because they have withstood the ultimate test, public exposure, longer than the newer ones. Browser cores are similar. The more seasoned and war hardened the browser, the better. You want a browser with a long as possible history of patches. Subsequently, we can probably move to version 3 but we are working on something... new.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks for your explanation.

Let us know when you release what new you are working... ;)

OperaTor is nice, but isn't updated as main the browser.

11. SteveTX

We will be releasing a new version of xB Browser tomorrow that will fix the latest SSL certificate forgery attacks for the most part.

12. badjoey

badjoey Registered Member

Yo Steve you said you guys would be releasing a new version of the xerobank browser today,well as of this moment your website is still using the same version 2.8.12.18 so what gives.you folks running a little behind and are you going to be updating the noscript addon to the newest version.

13. SteveTX

We got it done, and there is a new version of noscript core in there. The good news is it has the new SSL MD5 filters, the bad news is the MD5 filters are 60MB in size. :D

xB BROWSER IS THE FIRST SECURE BROWSER THAT NOW DETECTS VULNERABLE SSL CERTIFICATES WITH MD5 on RSA SIGNATURES. enjoy.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

SteveTX,

This is not free, but I would like to know your professional opinion about Comodo TrustConnect?

Thanks

15. SteveTX

Hmm. Looks like a VPN, but no way to tell the quality just yet. We can test it when the deanonymizer tool comes out.

some notes:
    1. 1-hop USA proxy node
    2. encryption but no anonymity
    3. all traffic is logged and monitored
    4. no security details disclosed

The product would probably be good for what it says "protecting yourself from snoop at wifi hotspots" but nothing more. You can rest assured that everything you do on it is being watched.

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

OK, thanks ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.