Priv.ly

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by caspian, Apr 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I just found this a couple of hours ago. This guy is developing an open source software that enables people to post content to Facebook and other social media services in a way that the host services don't have access to the information. There is a firefox plugin. And content can be deleted from email after it has been sent. It is evidently a work in progress.

4 Videos on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/38477050

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Registered Member

Thanks for posting this Caspian. I have been looking for a service that does something similar to this, i was even going to try to do it myself in some rudimentary fashion. I plan on donating, and wish the developers at priv.ly the best.

On a separate note, is seems like Libyan .ly addresses are the in thing for whatever reason..

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Registered Member

still no replies,
    maybe nobody on this site uses Facebook, but to me, Priv.ly seems like the perfect compliment to some of the other strategies discussed here to limit Facebook's ability to monitor you outside of their social network.

By limiting Facebook externally, through browser add-ons like Disconecct, Ghostery, ABP, NoScript, and Request Policy, as well as through strategies like having a separate Social Network Browser and deleting cookies frequently, Facebook can be limited to its own network for the most part.

Using these strategies in conjunction with Priv.ly or a similar service would defend a user against Facebook's data mining WITHIN the social network.

It seems to me that these tools used in tandem would empower a user to use social networks without sacrificing their privacy or control over their personal data.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.