PrevxEDGE disabled?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Biscuit, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

Yesterday, I updated my Edge licence key from the beta key to a full key transferred from Prevx2. This morning, I booted my computer & found that Edge wasn't running at all (no icon, no task). I assumed that it may have been as issue with the beta, so I uninstalled Edge, rebooted & cleaned the registry. Then downloaded a new Edge, used my transferred licence & installed. On reboot, Edge is stopped & I cannot enable it. When I choose to enable, Edge asks to reboot - I reboot & Edge is still stopped.

2. horseman

horseman Registered Member

Interesting - I'm looking at similar symptoms. What happens if you invoke UPDATE? Does it come back with : "You are currently using the latest....blah blah" and still dissallows Edge enabling afterwards?

Do you have any other RTM/AV/AM running concurrently? For instance: I'm finding some circumstantial evidence from my event logs that McAfee VirusScan+ is disabling both itself and pxcsi when booting up as PX2 has also got it's hooks into pxcsi as MCf loads it's shield? Curiously in this context PX2 actually survives but if boot sequence is re-optimised then PX2 will apparently loose IPC with it's pxagent and either MCf or PX Edge will survive.

There's obviously some race conditions here that I suspect may proove challenging to overcome. :blink:

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Tried to disable the self-protection?

4. Biscuit

I am using Nod32 v2.7, WinPatrol Plus & Px3, not Px2.

Thanks, I cannot disable the protection as that option is not available to me.

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hmmm? o_O

Attached Files:

• pxsp.PNG
      pxsp.PNG
      File size:
      63.5 KB
      Views:
  6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Could you try disabling Winpatrol? I think there may be an incompatibility between the products - it was reported by another user, might be worth checking out :)

7. PrevxHelp

This is definitely an incompatibility between Winpatrol and Edge.

We will be getting in contact with them on Monday, however, if anyone sees this issue and is not using Winpatrol or self protection, please let me know.

8. Biscuit

Yup, I can confirm that it was an issue between Edge & Winpatrol Plus (the paid version). Disabling Winpatrol Plus & a reboot has enabled PrevxEDGE which is now running perfectly again. The trigger of the failure appears to have been inputting a new licence key into Edge - which I assume woke-up Winpatrol Plus which appears to have PrevxEDGE listed as a FP.

Happy bunny again. :cool:

9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I have the same problem but run none of the named products above ... there is no error.

I guess it is also not compatible with defensewall or outpost

10. PrevxHelp

If you'd like, one of our engineers can analyze your problem remotely when you're available and fix the software accordingly - drop me a PM if you're interested :)

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

It seems to be working again ... from what I can see KAV killed one of the processes .. I would have attached the log entry if I could find it again.

Defensewall does however seem to be effect by prevx edge ... my gui (does not write correctly)and untrusted apps list (is now blank).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  12. Biscuit

Hmmm

My earlier problem has come back again today. Winpatrol Plus was already disabled. On boot, Edge did not load the system tray icon. I rebooted & the system icon appeared but showed as disabled. Hovering over the icon, it disappeared. Edge seems however to still be running as a process & a service.

O/S: Vista32 Business SP1
    Running apps: Nod32 v2.7, ISA 2004 firewall client, Trillian Astra 4.0 build 89 (beta), Skype v3.8, Gmail notifier, OneNote, Acronis True Image v11.

Event viewer for today
    Faulting application prevx.exe, version 3.0.0.172, time stamp 0x491c36a8, faulting module prevx.exe, version 3.0.0.172, time stamp 0x491c36a8, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000538f2, process id 0xac4, application start time 0x01c9495fd660c8de.

Event viewer for Nov-16 (previous Edge problem)
    Faulting application prevx.exe, version 3.0.0.172, time stamp 0x491af639, faulting module prevx.exe, version 3.0.0.172, time stamp 0x491af639, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00078093, process id 0x15c, application start time 0x01c947e50ea4ac8e.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  13. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    I've contacted you off-Wilders and we are working on resolving this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.