Prevx2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Just read some posts in another forum about a few Prevx2 users having problems after a recent update. Any Prevx2 users here experience any troubles.

2. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

duke1959, after the recent update my cpu usage was constantly spiking up to 98%. Process Explorer indicated that the culprit is PXAgent.exe. I had to shutdown Prevx 2.0 because it slowed my computer to a crawl. I contacted Prevx support about the issue last night, but was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem, or if it was just my computer.

3. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Got the latest update about 2 hrs. ago.
    No problems so far.:cool:

4. duke1959

Just got home and Prevx program update reboot was waiting for me. Everything seems ok so far with the build 23 update.

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

I also updated to the build 23 tonight, and it seems to have taken care of the cpu spikes I have having with the previous version.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

That is exactly why they'll be successful in the end too. They have knowledgable, innovative people working for them and they are willing to listen to customer feedback to really improve their product. When I decided to try out Prevx1 I was convinced of all of this, that's why I stuck with their product over others. I'm glad to be part of the community along with many other users who's feedback helped make Prevx2 the great product it now is IMO. They made alot of progress and quickly, and they will only improve upon that as things move forward. I don't trust alot of software but this company has earned my trust.

Not sure about ditching everything else and using "just" Prevx. I look at it as an additional layer of security at this point. It makes me sleep better at night. However if that is their ultimate goal I don't doubt them for a second that they can obtain it, however lofty that goal may seem. While an all-in-one, full proof security solution may be unobtainable... it won't stop these people from trying.

I must have been the only person in the world that patiently waited for my update without uninstalling the old version. Just wanted to point out that the transition was seamless. Plays well with everything else on my PC, just as the previous version did. This is another thing I liked about Prevx from the door. I had compatability issues with pretty much every other HIPS or similar program I tried.

The position they take of letting you use the product for free until/unless it ever finds anything will pay off huge in the end. Alot of people don't want to fork over the money for something they may never need anyway. This gives them the chance to try out the product for more than 30 days (you may not need it for for 30 days), and if it does happen to save their arse some random day they may feel compelled to pay for it. Whereas with other 30-60 day trial products if you never need it during that time, why would you want to pay for it when it goes away? Plus just the fact that they're willing to let you use it for free speaks volumes about the character of the company, and in the long-run this established credibility will give them a massive customer base and make them all very rich, all in due time. Unlike other companies that are quick to put out a rushed, flawed product just to make a quick buck then all the sudden they make some $$$, and updates aren't as frequent, customer support goes out the window, ect... I trust that these guys are in it for the long haul for the customer.

Yeah I know, I rambled on a bit. To sum up... I really, really like this product. But even more I like the direction this company is heading in, the approach they're taking, the concepts, ect...

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

here too. :)

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I have been considering adding/integrating Prevx2 into my setup. How many processes does it use and what is the memory usage? I also have been waiting patiently :).

9. luciddream

It runs 2 processes, one called PXAgent and the other PXConsole.

Right now the PXAgent is humming at 2,216K, and the PXConsole at 6,708K.

It's very light

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Running 2 processes.
    PXAgent.exe 2,300k
    PXConsole.exe 8,100k
    This is typical memory usuage at most times.
    Does go higher at startup and at scans but settles back down.
    I'd consider it minimal usuage and light.
    Not worth even thinking about. :cool:

11. innerpeace

Thanks for your replies luciddream and danny9. Very light indeed. It would probably make a nice addition to my current setup. Probably overkill, but I may do some trimming. Does it seem stable or should I wait just a little bit longer? I'm very patient :).

Cheers, innerpeace

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Very stable and smooth.
    Have had no problems with Prevx2
    Getting to like this program more and more.:D
    All the best, Dan

13. Longboard

@Innerpeace
    I have had PX1R, PX1 and now PX2 with little or no probs. or issues
    While I am still a bit sceptical about their detections claims:
    ( http://winnow.oitc.com/AntiVirusPerformance.html )
    Heh: the users who have it prolly dont need it and those who need it prolly dont know of it !!
    I believe that in a short space of time they (PrevX) have developed a very sophisticated set-up with a load of blue sky to come, support has been good and in the time since release of PrevX1 there has been a free upgrade to a brand new version.

I haven't checked for a while but there was a fully functional trial that extended until a detection of malware that may require removal: deal of the decade. ;)

Even the paid for annual tithe is cheap.

Give it a run.

14. innerpeace

@ Dan, It's good to here it's been stable on your machine. I really like stable programs.

I'm running sandboxed now, so I don't know why I even bother Lol. I'm not sure about their detection claims either. I do understand that the more users they have, the better the signatures get. I also agree with you about the support. From what I see at CastleCops, they do provide good support there. I'm not to worried about the trial as I already have a license ;) Heh. I just like to wait until everything is smooth until I give it a go.

The only worry I have is the fact that there is a internet connection needed. I know that they (Prevx) are very smart about the 'bad guys' techniques, but denial of service attacks are a real threat in my eyes. If they can disrupt government sites, why not our connections to Prevxs' database. I have read they have systems set up to deal with this, so do I. I have a layered approach to my security :D . I'm still going to give Prevx a try hopefully very soon.

Cheers, innerpeace

15. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

So have you guys got Prevx2 build 23 installed yet? :eek:

16. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

17. Longboard

Ditto

Attached Files:

18. luciddream

Prevx1 was perfectly stable for me, and Prevx2 is no exception. It's ready whenever you are :D

I wouldn't consider it an overkill because it's so light you won't even notice it's there. When you get to the point where you're running so many software security apps that you can notice a slowdown... then that's an overkill.

19. duke1959

luciddream. I know some folks here turn off Windows Security Center, but if you're not one of them since you are running Nod32 with Prevx2, could you tell me if your WSC reads that Windows found more than one Antivirus on this computer? It seems on my PC that Windows has detected Prevx as an Antivirus along with Avira Personal Premium that I also run. If this is possible thanks for checking.

20. luciddream

I'm one of those people that disable Security Center, so I wouldn't know. Some AV's won't even show up on the list I know, or some will say they're not updated even though they are. It's just stupid.

Even if it does say that, don't worry about it, rest assured that there are no conflicts whatsoever between Prevx and any other AV you may use in addition to it. The problem lies in the Security Center itself. It's retarded.

21. duke1959

LOL. Gotcha and thanks.

22. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

OK you've all talked me into it.Gunna give it a run in a vm.:)

23. stubbs100

stubbs100 Registered Member

Hi Guys,

It's been unfortunate but we had a serious issue with the latest network driver on some systems which caused problems. We have identified and fixed this issue in the latest (Prevx2.0 v1.0.1 build 25). The best approach is to uninstall the release you have problems with and reinstall from www.prevx.com the latest.

We are sorry for any problems this release has caused you.

Regards,

Prevx Support

24. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I couldn't install the latest version on my first attempt. Said something about incorrect application configuration pointing at Local\Temp prevxsetup.exe. Did install prior built a while back though without problems.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.