Prevx1 VS.a2

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

What do you think is Better, Prevx1 or a2?

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

If you are talking about A2 paid vs Prevx1, I'd go with Prevx1, it covers more areas and is a Community Host Intrusion System rather than just an a anti-malware like A2. By the way, you have AVG Anti-Spyware and SUPERAntispyware, so in the spyware, adware, and malware area you are pretty covered. I'd rather run AVG Anti-Spyware active than A2.

dja2k

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well theyre different products; prevx a Community HIPS and a2 is anti-malware.

id also go with prevx1 because of its broad protection.

4. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just tried both of these programs over the last two days, and currently have Prevx running. Since I like both of them, I was wondering if they couldn't be run together. Neither one caused any PC slowdowns, although a squared used a lot more memory. The Prevx website says it can be used with other protection software, but I'm not sure the a squared RealTime Behavior Guard wouldn't conflict with Prevx's type of protection.

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hmmm Prevx1 is quite versatile but you can ask Notok about it, he should know more than us since he is somehow associated with Prevx1 or at least he was back then.

dja2k

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx1 is almost entirely kernel mode and a2 is almost entirely user mode (last I knew), so I wouldn't expect conflicts although if you want to play it safe you can disable a2's "IDS" features (the value of having both do behavior blocking is questionable, and Prevx1 will continue to use the same techniques for behavior blocking even if it's not actually prompting you for anything). Generally speaking it's best to avoid overlap, especially when it comes to any kind of behavior blocking, but I think these programs should be OK as long as they don't totally re-write how they do their behavior blocking. I've got it installed on this system now without any problems. As a disclaimer, I can't guarantee that there won't be any conflicts, but I wouldn't expect them to be anything particularly serious.

Edit: Ok, it is causing explorer to crash and take a2 with it when Windows starts, but I suspect that it's another program on my system causing the issue.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  7. duke1959

Still going back and forth between the two. On one hand I can understand why Prevx would be the better choice with what all it covers, but on the other from what I read about the a squared IDS it seems quite formadible.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Prevx1 hands down. I would use both because i'm a glutton for shielding against any and all possible entry points.

The only drawback i suffer from is having to let Prevx1 maintain a constant internet link to their community database which i feel would be better suited by a local Db which could be updated randomly.

9. duke1959

Hey Easter2010, how you been? Thanks for the help, if anyone knows which is better it would be you with all the HIPS and AS programs you have tried. I do occasionally use them together with no problems, but Prevx 1 is my favorite.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Prevx2 is also coming up soon. There's a small preview on the website. Just about everything "under the hood" is enhanced, with the community database being the biggest overhaul.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant find the preview on the website..
    lodore

12. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

lodore if you look in the corner of the ad in their site, you'll see a little "version2 " there, it says it's coming in 20 something days.:D

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks disinter1
    it didnt show in opera but does in IE7
    maybe its because i havent got javascript enabled in opera
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.