Prevx/SOL - Perhaps needs a bit more brains?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by m00nbl00d, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been running Prevx/SOL myself for a few days now, and today I got my first warning, when visiting a website. I did it on purpose... and I wanted to see how Prevx/SOL would react when entering a domain already being blacklisted by a HOSTS file.

In such situation, should Prevx/SOL still alert the user, and make the web browser close without need? :D

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes it should :) It is notifying the user that the website has been redirected by the hosts file - an action which could lead to phishing or other malicious actions. The average user does not redirect users via their HOSTs file and more often than not, these types of modifications are due to malware.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Maybe I haven't been clear enough, I think.

What I mean is, shouldn't Prevx be in touch with the hosts file, by reading it, and perhaps cache the information, and re-check from time to time, maybe specified by the user, so that it reflects the updates users perform to it, and if a known bad domain by Prevx is already being loop-backed by the hosts file, then Prevx could just not warn?

Anyway, it was just a thought. I know Prevx is doing its task. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.