PrevX Home vs. AbtrusionProtectorPersonalEdition

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by minacross, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minacross

minacross Registered Member

that's is the difference between AbtrusionProtectorPersonalEdition & PrevX Home?
    which has more features? which is better to use?:rolleyes: o_O

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Never heard of the first one myself, but I'm sure someone here has and will respond. I tried Prevx when it was still beta and liked it though.

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Well ,i ve used more AP than PrevX,although currently i use non.Basically AP will prevent anything from installing behind your back.All exe,dll etc are whitelisted and anything new is blocked unless you allow it to run.For example,you can't even run firewall leak tests unless you allow them.Of course once you allow something comes the problem.AP doesn't monitor registry or any system folders ,so you won't have the slightest idea of something that happened.
    PrevX is the opposite.It doesn't block installations,but it asks for permission if sensitive parts of the registry or system are trying to be accessed during an installation or program running.Of course this will also lead to several legitimate alerts (ex,when you install a program at startup).I didn't use long PrevX,because i don't like it calling home no matter how benign its mother company may be.

Resource wise,i think they are about the same,but haven't used PrevX lately.AP had 2 processes for total 0-2 CPU and about 5-8 MB RAM.Abtrusion Protector can be quite annoying unless you read the help file well.It can block installation half way in some occasions if you don't give the setup program full "OK" with no reserve.
    I don't know what else would be of help.I think the best is try them both and see what suits you more.PrevX is more like a behaviour monitor that tries in real time to watch for vital places in your system from being altered without your knowledge and asks your permission for allowing them.AP is more like an impenetrable wall around your PC with only one gate in,at which you judge what comes in.Once passed that gate,the wall will no longer be responsible for your decision.

4. ~~~~~

~~~~~ Guest

They are different. Abtrusion protector is a very old app or have they updated it?

Is Prevx Home still available for download? I thought all they had is Prevx1 these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.