prevx home page claims other AV's missed malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawkeen, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Vote in the Prevx Website poll. :)

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

The more I read this thread, the more I love avira :-*

3. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

I thought you were done talking?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  4. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

A lot of people on this forum are talking about it, and I'm wondering is it one of those anti-malware applications which detect basic tracking cookies, etc, that you delete yourself 2-3 times a week or more anyway? Or is it more phisticated than that?

Just wondering, because I know ParetoLogic (maker of RegCure, XoftSpy, DriverCure, etc) has unlimited trials for their products. They don't remove the malware either, but do detect every single tracking cookie, scaring users into buying their ($) products to remove them. The programs don't even detect the serious viruses very well, so I've heard.

And yes, if it's a good app, I want to try it out sometime. :thumb:

Regards,

Mark.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  5. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

Luckily enough, looks like the biggest percentual of our customers is not focused on charts at all but instead they find themselves well with Prevx 3.0, with really few (to none) false positives

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  6. EraserHW

EraserHW Malware Expert

I think so, if they renew every year I think they find it a good product

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

As far as I'm concerned, you can tell hundreds of people to buy whatever you fancy. You are just doing exactly what has been debated in this thread:talking hot air. Any claim which is not confirmed by an independent party remains suspicious. Besides, as I mentioned it could turn out to be productive for PREVX, but certainly unethical.

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Not at all - we don't detect tracking cookies and never will :)

9. PrevxHelp

We also guarantee our malware cleanup so if someone doesn't find us completely effective, they contact us and we fix it ;)

10. PrevxHelp

I suspect that this is why Wilders has taken the stance to not allow users to post VirusTotal links. The engine behind VirusTotal is completely different to the consumer engine - causing it to produce more FPs and detect less as we can't actually scan the way that the consumer product scans. I suspect that this was indeed a false positive, but there are many cases where we are the only product to detect a threat and it is indeed malicious :doubt:

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Prevx names the vendors and Prevx names the threats. I'm thinking, if Prevx is wrong, then they could be taken to task by any or all the vendors who feel wronged. Is avast! or Symantec or Kaspersky or AVG or any of the others protesting? Has Prevx offered to supply info to any of the vendors who contact them?

--> Let me supply you with that answer...

Q. (from 1000db) "does Prevx notify the other AV/AM companies to let them know what they missed?"
    A. (from PrevxHelp) "We do if they request information about the samples."

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  12. PrevxHelp

It depends on the file :D Ironically, we actually just corrected a fundamental VirusTotal scanner issue yesterday which should improve detections and reduce FPs significantly from today onward (affecting our results for the last two months).

13. PrevxHelp

Well, to clarify - "It depends on the file" means that there is variation in the results, inherent in the design/purpose of VT. The engines at VirusTotal are only commandline programs which just use a subset of the technology of the full products so they fundamentally behave quite different than the actual consumer scanner and they have to work with what data they have. Many pieces of our technology which cannot be included in the VT engine reduce FPs and many pieces improve protection (and I suspect this is the case with the other products as well).

14. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Of course. Personally the only FPs I've had with Prevx is on relatively obscure applications. Just wanted to point out Prevx sometimes has more severe FPs.

15. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Well the poster there had FPs with the actual Prevx program and not just on VT. He was just showing the point that it was an FP.

16. PrevxHelp

Ah ok :) Missed that point :D I've responded on there as well just to ensure that we take care of everything properly.

17. PrevxHelp

I see this often, usually when users come into the support inbox saying: "Prevx is the only AV to find this file on VirusTotal, is the file malicious?" We have them send us the file and then we analyze it - in many cases we are indeed the only company which has correctly identified it as malicious.

But of course, in the interest of full disclosure (and in the best interest of beating a dead horse, so to speak), there are cases where other products find malware which we don't find :D)

18. PrevxHelp

Yes, sorry about that :oops: Not fully awake yet apparently :) The file may indeed have been blocked by the realtime protection of other products or other products like MBAM which look for active infections.

*goes and gets some coffee*

19. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You can use both and they work seamlessly. :)

20. Necropsie

Necropsie Registered Member

I use Prevx as a paid user. I trust the software too and i really believe it gives me more chance to prevent an infection that my antivirus software can miss. Also, i think that it is the only company that answers comments of users this much and directly. But i also think that;

1) "We detected this much" is a bad way of advertising. It doesn't matter that you put a "what this chart means" link or try to explain. At the end, we all know it means "we are that good, all other programs you see the names below sucks". As mentioned, there is no perfect software. For example, Prevx has some serious fp's. Using 2 months for now, reported more then 20 samples as fp's. Everytime i see that "we detected this much" window, i just smile. Today, Prevx "found" 5 infections on my pc that Avira "missed". (This also means i can't install Prevx to my grandma's pc for example. That big threat window, red colors forces you to click the "clean" button. An average user will do this and make the computer unstable.) Ow and is this a real threat or fp? http://www.prevx.com/filenames/X463470545119034194-X1/FIREFOX.EXE.html

2) Prevx interface needs serious work. Really. Please do that. Me wants more shiny.

21. PrevxWebDesigner

PrevxWebDesigner Former Prevx Moderator

Any suggestions are more than welcome. Are your problems with the actual usability of the GUI, or you would just prefer it to be more "glossy"?

Joe's always badgering me for a shinier GUI, so I MIGHT take your feedback on board ;)

22. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

23. IBK

IBK AV Expert

24. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I've yet to see Prevx,or any other anti-malware vender release something on the lines of:-
    "look at all these things we missed that other vendors caught"
    Every company is in the business of making their product seem better than the competition,so if Prevx can find things that they catch and others miss of course they are going to brag,just like they are going to keep quiet about the things their software misses that others catch

25. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Wouldn't it be a better idea for those users who know of or see files which they believe to be FPs to report them directly to PrevX rather than on this forum? That way communication can be done between the two of you with regards to resolving any issues concerning these files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.